All Things Dredrick Snelson Thread

It sounds like he is friends with the Daniels bros. That's a good thing for us. I'll take him at his word that he is solid.

I hope folks get used to having top recruits waffle...it is going to happen more often as Kill & CO improve the recruits they get verbals from. I trust the coaching staff has a handle on it so I am just going to enjoy the ride!

You can get your info from Snelson if you want - I'll get mine from reporters.

You can get your info from Snelson if you want - I'll get mine from reporters.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe what is in front of me. He's a gopher commit until he isn't. And I won't cry if he isn't next September.

He says he's solid, he's solid. Not only solid but a GREAT addition! Welcome aboard.

I'm gonna go ahead and believe what is in front of me. He's a gopher commit until he isn't. And I won't cry if he isn't next September.

Good way to look at it. Nothing is guaranteed until signing day so there is no reason to fret about it. As of right now he is coming here, hopefully that will still be the case on NSD but in this day and age no one should be shocked if he does end up changing his mind. Just the way it is in college recruiting anymore.

The 247 guys don't even think his Miami offer is committable right now. Basically, Dredrick is the type of recruit that tends to like a little drama and attention.

Or he was put on the spot by a Miami reporter, and didn't want to be rude.

bronco.jpg

Or the ex president of Miami, Donna Shalala rubbed up against his leg.

This is the best post in this thread.

56631984.jpg

SI: Why a four-star wide receiver from Florida says he's headed to Minnesota

Snelson says Minnesota envisions him lining up in the slot and as an H-Back and thinks he could make an impact as a ballcarrier on screen plays and jet sweeps. Deploying Snelson on run plays could make him more valuable in their offense, as the Gophers' recent track record does not inspire optimism that they’ll throw the ball often. In four seasons under Kill, Minnesota has ranked no higher than ninth in the Big Ten in passing attempts per game and last in the conference in 2013 and 2014.

Snelson counters that Kill “told me they were going to spread the ball out this year.” (Through three games in 2015, the Gophers check in at No. 4 in the Big Ten with 35.7 passing attempts per game.)

Snelson’s commitment has not stopped other programs from trying to steer him closer to home. Snelson says he’s still hearing from Louisville, Florida, Central Florida and Miami, and that he’s trying to arrange visits with the Gators and the Cardinals. Those programs and others will likely ramp up their pursuits leading into National Signing Day on Feb. 3, which will test Snelson’s resolve. (He described an August article indicating there was a 40% chance he’d end up at Miami as “false information.”)

A lot can change in the more than four months before signing day, but for now, Snelson represents a huge recruiting victory for Minnesota, a program that has made strides since the beginning of Kill’s tenure but nonetheless doesn’t strike most blue-chip prospects as a desirable destination.

“Most people think I’m not going to sign with Minnesota,” Snelson says. “But they can think what they want to think.”

http://www.si.com/college-football/...n-minnesota-golden-gophers-recruiting-roundup

Go Gophers!!

SI: Why a four-star wide receiver from Florida says he's headed to Minnesota

Snelson says Minnesota envisions him lining up in the slot and as an H-Back and thinks he could make an impact as a ballcarrier on screen plays and jet sweeps. Deploying Snelson on run plays could make him more valuable in their offense, as the Gophers' recent track record does not inspire optimism that they’ll throw the ball often. In four seasons under Kill, Minnesota has ranked no higher than ninth in the Big Ten in passing attempts per game and last in the conference in 2013 and 2014.

Snelson counters that Kill “told me they were going to spread the ball out this year.” (Through three games in 2015, the Gophers check in at No. 4 in the Big Ten with 35.7 passing attempts per game.)

Snelson’s commitment has not stopped other programs from trying to steer him closer to home. Snelson says he’s still hearing from Louisville, Florida, Central Florida and Miami, and that he’s trying to arrange visits with the Gators and the Cardinals. Those programs and others will likely ramp up their pursuits leading into National Signing Day on Feb. 3, which will test Snelson’s resolve. (He described an August article indicating there was a 40% chance he’d end up at Miami as “false information.”)

A lot can change in the more than four months before signing day, but for now, Snelson represents a huge recruiting victory for Minnesota, a program that has made strides since the beginning of Kill’s tenure but nonetheless doesn’t strike most blue-chip prospects as a desirable destination.

“Most people think I’m not going to sign with Minnesota,” Snelson says. “But they can think what they want to think.”

http://www.si.com/college-football/...n-minnesota-golden-gophers-recruiting-roundup

Go Gophers!!

His last comment is nice but there would be far less doubt about his commitment if the exact same story didn't also say he is trying to setup visits with Florida and Louisville.

His last comment is nice but there would be far less doubt about his commitment if the exact same story didn't also say he is trying to setup visits with Florida and Louisville.

He likes to play both sides....nothing new here. I think the coaches make it pretty clear if you make other visits while committed then you aren't really "committed" and your spot isn't a guarantee. It's why the Daniels bros haven't made any other visits even though they said they would, and hopefully Snelson does the same.

This might be buried in this thread somewhere, but why would an elite receiver even sniff at an offer from a team that emphasizes the power run game? Also, can we even get him the ball consistently? Seems like a guy that would like to be featured in an offense. Obviously love that he's verbally committed - this one is just a head scratcher for me though.

This might be buried in this thread somewhere, but why would an elite receiver even sniff at an offer from a team that emphasizes the power run game? Also, can we even get him the ball consistently? Seems like a guy that would like to be featured in an offense. Obviously love that he's verbally committed - this one is just a head scratcher for me though.

Go back 5-6 posts and read the SI story. Snelson himself explains why he picked Minnesota.

First, I view the world through maroon and gold glasses...it's beautiful! Second, every time I see this thread bumped I assume he's decommitted. I really hope he sticks with the Gophers! I initially thought the same way about the Daniels' brothers but they've turned into some of our biggest and best recruiters/cheerleaders...including grabbing Snelson. #EmpireClass :)

per Greder:

On Friday, Gophers 2016 recruit Dredrick Snelson was officially selected to play in another top all-star game, the Under Armour All-America High School Football Game in Orlando, Fla., on Jan. 2.

Nelson is a 6-foot, 192-pound wide receiver from Pembroke Pines, Fla. He is considered the 20th best player in Florida, according to rivals.com.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...l-damarius-travis-might-seek-medical-redshirt

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

On Friday, Gophers 2016 recruit Dredrick Snelson was officially selected to play in another top all-star game, the Under Armour All-America High School Football Game in Orlando, Fla., on Jan. 2.

Nelson is a 6-foot, 192-pound wide receiver from Pembroke Pines, Fla. He is considered the 20th best player in Florida, according to rivals.com.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...l-damarius-travis-might-seek-medical-redshirt

Go Gophers!!

Sure, Snelson will be the MVP of that game and then disappear somewhere on our depth chart. Somebody tell me the last time a highly, highly regarded Gopher recruit turned out to be a star. It seems like our best players are usually guys who were barely recruited.

In some fairness it's not like we've had that many 4 star recruits. Laurence Maroney would be one that actually panned out. Was he our last guy to get drafted in the 1st round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the (S) away from the front of his name and he absolutely belongs in Minnesota

In some fairness it's not like we've had that many 4 star recruits. Laurence Maroney would be one that actually panned out. Was he our last guy to get drafted in the 1st round?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hageman was a 4 star on Scout.

Sure, Snelson will be the MVP of that game and then disappear somewhere on our depth chart. Somebody tell me the last time a highly, highly regarded Gopher recruit turned out to be a star. It seems like our best players are usually guys who were barely recruited.

Not sure what qualifies someone as a "highly, highly regarded" recruit but Hageman had a lot of big offers out of high school. But how many big time recruits have we signed over the years? Not very many.

Top Bottom