All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

I thought about that too, but I'd more or less chalk it up to an odd way to word a statement.

Why does Wolfson “feel good” about Garcia not playing for the Gophers?
IMO he's saying he has a fairly high degree of confidence but no assurances that Garcia is not interested in the Gophers. Kinda awkward way to word it but I don't think he's saying anything about it making him "feel good" to see Garcia not come here.

I have said this before, and I could be VERY wrong, but things like this give me hope for a player like Dawson. 3M/Best Buy/Target whoever comes in and says, hey Dawson, you are a big name in the cities, you come to the Gophers and be that local hero we could hook you up with a $250k deal to do some commercials. Company wins getting a local kid, Dawson gets to cash in, and program wins. Now again, there is absolutely no way to know how these things happen, but I am trying my best to keep positive about it and how it could help the gophers. Now, could Nike come in and say hey Dawson, go to Duke, we will give you $300k to do a commercial, sure, but we at least have some local brand power to help.

I have said this before, and I could be VERY wrong, but things like this give me hope for a player like Dawson. 3M/Best Buy/Target whoever comes in and says, hey Dawson, you are a big name in the cities, you come to the Gophers and be that local hero we could hook you up with a $250k deal to do some commercials. Company wins getting a local kid, Dawson gets to cash in, and program wins. Now again, there is absolutely no way to know how these things happen, but I am trying my best to keep positive about it and how it could help the gophers. Now, could Nike come in and say hey Dawson, go to Duke, we will give you $300k to do a commercial, sure, but we at least have some local brand power to help.
i honestly see no reason why they would do this when they have numerous people with massively higher brand profiles with NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA players readily at hand. No person is going to say, I'm now going to shop at Target because Dawson Garcia did a commercial for them. Like we've hyped our Fortune 500 clout here numerous times, but I really just can't see it happening the way we hope it would to help us. I feel like the more likely is smaller institutions trying to leverage a player who will cost less to ramp their brand up locally (ie there would've probably been a good bit of hype from many smaller businesses for Tyler Johnson when he was here) given Target is already a national brand and don't need any help. I can also see this allowing boosters for the major schools in the South using this as a way to get these kids cars, etc. as a local booster who owns an auto dealership can run an "ad" using these players then pay them whatever they want and now it will be above the table rather than jettisoned to them under the table as is happening now (if you're wondering what I mean, go see what players at SEC schools are driving regularly)

Will individual players get to advertise sponsors on their jerseys? Otherwise, what value does the endorsing company get from a college student?

i honestly see no reason why they would do this when they have numerous people with massively higher brand profiles with NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA players readily at hand. No person is going to say, I'm now going to shop at Target because Dawson Garcia did a commercial for them. Like we've hyped our Fortune 500 clout here numerous times, but I really just can't see it happening the way we hope it would to help us. I feel like the more likely is smaller institutions trying to leverage a player who will cost less to ramp their brand up locally (ie there would've probably been a good bit of hype from many smaller businesses for Tyler Johnson when he was here) given Target is already a national brand and don't need any help. I can also see this allowing boosters for the major schools in the South using this as a way to get these kids cars, etc. as a local booster who owns an auto dealership can run an "ad" using these players then pay them whatever they want and now it will be above the table rather than jettisoned to them under the table as is happening now (if you're wondering what I mean, go see what players at SEC schools are driving regularly)

I think the key is, all-american/those who are projected to be lottery picks.

Economically if you can lock in a 4 year deal with a college kid to be a "ambassador" and they do well in the pros, you saved yourself some money as oppose to waiting to sign them as all stars, etc.

It's a gamble for sure, but the big companies know what they are doing. They wont just throw money around to every kid. Unless you have top 10 pick potential, I dont see "big" money going to 99% of D1 basketball players.

Money will come from companies like EA, etc.

Economically if you can lock in a 4 year deal with a college kid to be a "ambassador" and they do well in the pros, you saved yourself some money as oppose to waiting to sign them as all stars, etc.

It's a gamble for sure, but the big companies know what they are doing. They wont just throw money around to every kid. Unless you have top 10 pick potential, I dont see "big" money going to 99% of D1 basketball players.

I get what you're saying for sure and agree that most of the money is probably going to come from a deal to sign all college players for video games. I don't see even it being that widespread for college players and many lottery picks will probably be advised to hold out on many deals unless they can land what the top 5 picks are getting as far as shoe deals, etc. early. this whole thing is going to get really messy and I'd imagine most of the money to many players is going to come from smaller companies looking to get a name out there, rather than the big boys who know they can hold out/be more selective

on a related note, do we have any idea how many of our local fortune 500 companies even sign athletes? Can't say I've ever seen a Target or 3M ad with an athlete. I don't watch a ton of TV however

Top Bottom