All Things Dawson Garcia Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020): UPDATED: Gophers Offered

Reid Travis has ruined any shot at me hoping we get Garcia. I thought he was a slam dunk and it was going to be amazing and then he said "Stanford" and I just assumed no one at that level will ever come here again ha. Assume he is going elsewhere and be less upset if he does and more excited if he says Minnesota.

Seemed like all the tea leaves were pointing our way for Crandall as well. Have no idea but am less than optimistic. Am on board with your last sentence.

Reactions: ltf

Seemed like all the tea leaves were pointing our way for Crandall as well. Have no idea but am less than optimistic. Am on board with your last sentence.
Definitely hope he notices the success Oturu is having and how he has advanced from last year. You can be a star playing for the Gophers, if you produce the NBA scouts will come no matter where you are!

Why do people always assume the freshman will come in and start ahead of established players? Mashburn will not come in and start ahead of Carr or Willis, unless Carr continues shooting FT like he has (can’t do that!). Garcia will come in and start, but he’s a unique talent.

Assuming he will start isn't any worse than definitively saying he won't. Freshmen starting in college basketball isn't rare and you don't need to be special to do so. He could certainly end up coming off the bench, but he's a pretty big recruit and I think there's a solid chance he starts.

I guess I'm reading too much into Carr's performance so far.

Freshmen and Sophomores are hard to predict.

Flood Dawson's twitter feed, I know he likes that and would appreciate hearing how important him staying would be for the University and state.

ditto

It's easy to read into this stuff too much, but I have a bad feeling that it's Marquette.

Bunch of crystal balls for Marquette in the last 24 hours... :/

Yahoo just posted an interview. Dawson says the deciding factor was relationship with the coaches and their vision for him.

Q&A with top-40 forward Dawson Garcia

CE: Lastly, the in-state Minnesota program. What is that all about?

DG: I just think that it would be dope to wear the Minnesota across my chest and really rep for my state and having people rally around you. That has kind of been their pitch to me and I have a really good relationship with Coach (Richard) Pitino and Coach Kyle Lindsted is my guy. Their players, I have been growing up with them my whole life so I have a really good relationship with all of the players there.

CE: When it comes down to it, what will be the deciding factors for the one school that you choose?

DG: Deciding factor will definitely be my relationship with the coaches and their vision for me.

Go Gophers!!

Its a big loss for the Gophers if he chooses Marquette/elsewhere. Marquette has not had earth-shattering success under Wojo so that aspect of the recruitment equation would not apply here.

Pitino just does not seem to have the special sauce for this type of in-state recruitment, it seems.

Its a big loss for the Gophers if he chooses Marquette/elsewhere. Marquette has not had earth-shattering success under Wojo so that aspect of the recruitment equation would not apply here.

Pitino just does not seem to have the special sauce for this type of in-state recruitment, it seems.

Milwaukee is a dump and your friends/family will attend few games. He really needs to be a Gopher.

Could really use some good news after a football loss and a few tough basketball losses. Please come to MN, the fans would LOVE him.

I really just don’t understand the draw to Marquette. Would be a strange choice for him.

Ryan James reporting that Minnesota has been told by Garcia that he will not choose them.

My guess is it will be Marquette and if so, I have absolutely no problem with it if that's what Dawson thinks is best for him. With that said, I can't help but hold out hope that I'll log in to this site at 3:31pm CST and see him grabbing a Gopher cap. Make a damn statement to the rest of the local kids, Mr. Garcia...be proud to rep the home state and the beloved Maroon and Gold!

Let's move on. We want people that want to be here. Just one more local that puts us in their top 5 like they're doing us a favor. Like most of the locals, they may have gopher pride, but they don't want to play basketball for us lol Unreal. Thought we had a good shot!

Let's move on. We want people that want to be here. Just one more local that puts us in their top 5 like they're doing us a favor. Like most of the locals, they may have gopher pride, but they don't want to play basketball for us lol Unreal. Thought we had a good shot!

We did have a good shot. We made his final group and had a real chance. Sometimes the kid makes other choices. Agreed, get the kids who want to be here, who cares where they are from. If we are so stuck on local flavors, Kerwin Walton would be dynamite and he said we are still in it. Pitino has shown to be quite good at spring recruiting, we will be fine.

We did have a good shot. We made his final group and had a real chance. Sometimes the kid makes other choices. Agreed, get the kids who want to be here, who cares where they are from. If we are so stuck on local flavors, Kerwin Walton would be dynamite and he said we are still in it. Pitino has shown to be quite good at spring recruiting, we will be fine.
I agree! Not mad at Garcia as who knows exactly why he chose to play elsewhere. I have trust in pitino, so im not so worried about not getting anybody until spring. Just stings alittle when its not duke, arizona, or kentucky were getting beat out by, but indiana or marquette.

I agree! Not mad at Garcia as who knows exactly why he chose to play elsewhere. I have trust in pitino, so im not so worried about not getting anybody until spring. Just stings alittle when its not duke, arizona, or kentucky were getting beat out by, but indiana or marquette.

The craziest part about it to me was how many bigs Marquette already had recruited, but good for them. Dawson is good enough to not be afraid of anyone, but I'm sure those other guys may have some thoughts lol

To be clear, I don't fault the staff for failing to recruit any one particular local 5-star athlete. But to be able to get one at some point--and we should expect that the squirrel will happen upon an acorn here and there--you do have to do everything right. That includes jumping on a prospect, developing a relationship, and offering them the instant it's clear they're good enough. Garcia had already been rated a 4-star prospect for some time and had prominent out-of-state programs offer him (wasn't Texas the first?) before we did. That can't happen.

The craziest part about it to me was how many bigs Marquette already had recruited, but good for them. Dawson is good enough to not be afraid of anyone, but I'm sure those other guys may have some thoughts lol
Yeah exactly! I thought about that too. One other reason to not like wojo. Now these other guys have to worry about playing time in which they thought they were set!

Top Bottom