All things D2 and D3 football 2022

but would also likely put a player not doing “much in the off season” in physical danger.
If I recall, that's kind of why Mac left the MIAC in football for a while. They were only fielding teams of 30 players or so, and it was unsafe to be playing SJU and UST.

Absolutely agree. I am a current student at Carleton (playing soccer, not football) but am good friends with a good number of the football players. Guys are working out 5 days a week in the summer at minimum to prepare for the preseason here, not to mention 6 or 7 days a week once preseason starts, with a lot of double practices. Players wouldn't survive by not doing much in the offseason
Go Knights!

Couldn't be further from the truth. Roughly 7% of high school football players go on to play ANY level of college football.
Don’t get your point. 50 percent of the HS players don’t play on their own HS team much less go to college and play.

I guess it is possible there is a D3 program somewhere that operates like this. My experience is with the MIAC and this type of approach would not only guarantee a perennial 0-10 team, but would also likely put a player not doing “much in the off season” in physical danger.
The MIAC and D3 overall is very loosely goosey with training; particularly in the off season heck half the team spends second semester abroad a lot of times it’s just different than the higher divisions. The football can be fun to watch as the athletes are all similar just as it can be fun to watch a good nine man HS game. I had to LOL at the Carleton guy talking about how their team is training in the summer. At the top 2 divisions of HS ball in Mn pretty much every starter on most teams would be welcomed onto the average MIAC team.

The MIAC and D3 overall is very loosely goosey with training; particularly in the off season heck half the team spends second semester abroad a lot of times it’s just different than the higher divisions. The football can be fun to watch as the athletes are all similar just as it can be fun to watch a good nine man HS game. I had to LOL at the Carleton guy talking about how their team is training in the summer. At the top 2 divisions of HS ball in Mn pretty much every starter on most teams would be welcomed onto the average MIAC team.
Based on my experience, you are completely wrong. I’m curious from which vantage point you developed this opinion? What is your experience with MIAC football and the training schedules of the players? Also curious where your data originates of “half the team” studying abroad second semester?

Here is the new GAC weight room. Just how “loosey goosey” do you think it gets in here?

Attachments

• BDF5FD65-C55B-4508-AC0D-B1DE0047C53F.jpeg
    BDF5FD65-C55B-4508-AC0D-B1DE0047C53F.jpeg
    546 KB · Views: 13

Go Auggies (1982)!

SON and I never got to see a "home" game as students (had to travel to old Parade), but now they have a pretty slick little stadium right on I-94. I remember they bought the old SilverDome turf from the Lions when they built it.

Dominic Smith WR is a pre-season All-American.
1975 here. I couple of my roommates and I served on the sideline crew (chain gang) for the Auggie home games at Parade way back when. Weirdest stadium. For drainage purposes, the pitch was pretty pronounced and when you looked across to the opposing sideline, it looked like all the players and coaches were kneeling. Couldn't see anything from the knee down.

Follow the Auggies at arm's length now. Like SON has said, some sprinklings of good players and teams but not much consistency. Historically, the conference has never been that balanced. St. John's, Concordia, Gustavus, Bethel (shortly after they were admitted into the conference) and St. Thomas (when they were still in the conference) always have pretty good squads. Every now and then, one of the second-tier teams will have their "season of the decade" and make a run, but it's pretty rare.

MIAC Schedule for Sat, Sept 10

Bethel at UW-Platteville
Crown College at Carleton
UM-Morris at Hamline
Luther College IA at St. Olaf
UW-River Falls at St. John's
Martin Luther College at Macalester
Concordia at Presentation College (Aberdeen, SD)

(St. Scholastica, Augsburg and Gustavus do not play)

Gustavus just wrapped up phase one of $60M facilities project with new weight room and training facilities. Next is the indoor practice facility which will be the best in MN outside of the of U of M.

Football right now is:

St. John's, Bethel, Gustavus, Concordia and then the rest of the league. UMAC is terrible football. Combined the 7 UMAC teams were 4-21 in Non-Conference games last year.
Football is SJU, Bethel, and then a huge gap and then a smoking pile of dung. The only reason two other teams look reasonably decent in the standings because they get to play Hamline, Augsburg, st. scholastica, st Olaf and Carleton…

Based on my experience, you are completely wrong. I’m curious from which vantage point you developed this opinion? What is your experience with MIAC football and the training schedules of the players? Also curious where your data originates of “half the team” studying abroad second semester?

Here is the new GAC weight room. Just how “loosey goosey” do you think it gets in here?
that weight room looks about equal to what I've seen at Stephen Arygle

NSIC-D2 update:
Winona State defeats Mary 25-17
Augustana defeats Bemidji State 30-29
Sioux Falls defeats Minot State 34-0

In progress, Minnesota State-Moorhead leading Upper Iowa 24-14.

Upper Iowa didn't make it easy but the Dragons held on to win! Down goes an Iowa team and Minnesota State Moorhead earns their first win of the year!

St Johns tried their best to blow a late 17 point lead. Impressive 2-0 start. Especially with whitewater beating UMHB today. Reliable reports of their RB being hurt today. Next man up in Collegeville

MIAC results for Sat, Sept 10

Hamline 34, UM-Morris 21
UW-Platteville 10, Bethel 7
St. Olaf 55, Luther College 27
Carleton 84, Crown College 20
St. John's 37, UW-River Falls 34
Macalester 43, Martin Luther College 7
Concordia 42, Presentation College 13

a light slate next week - only 4 games.

Here's the full NSIC scoreboard from Saturday. Minnesota teams in bold
  • No. 19 Augustana defeated Bemidji State, 30-29
  • Sioux Falls defeated Minot State, 34-0
  • Southwest Minnesota State defeated Concordia St. Paul, 14-6
  • Wayne State defeated Northern State, 13-6
  • Winona State defeated UMary, 25-17
  • Minnesota State Moorhead defeated Upper Iowa, 24-21
  • Minnesota State Mankato defeated Minnesota Duluth, 17-10
Mavs will likely be in the Top 25 this week. Here's the match-ups for next Saturday
  • MSU Moorhead Vs. Augustana
  • Minot St. Vs. Wayne St.
  • SW MN St. Vs. UMary
  • Bemidji St. Vs. Winona St.
  • MSU Mankato Vs. Northern St.
  • UMD Vs. Upper Iowa
  • Concordia Vs. Sioux Falls.

Here's the full NSIC scoreboard from Saturday. Minnesota teams in bold
  • No. 19 Augustana defeated Bemidji State, 30-29
  • Sioux Falls defeated Minot State, 34-0
  • Southwest Minnesota State defeated Concordia St. Paul, 14-6
  • Wayne State defeated Northern State, 13-6
  • Winona State defeated UMary, 25-17
  • Minnesota State Moorhead defeated Upper Iowa, 24-21
  • Minnesota State Mankato defeated Minnesota Duluth, 17-10
Mavs will likely be in the Top 25 this week. Here's the match-ups for next Saturday
  • MSU Moorhead Vs. Augustana
  • Minot St. Vs. Wayne St.
  • SW MN St. Vs. UMary
  • Bemidji St. Vs. Winona St.
  • MSU Mankato Vs. Northern St.
  • UMD Vs. Upper Iowa
  • Concordia Vs. Sioux Falls.

I've been watching Sioux Falls with interest the past few years to see how they would transition to D2 from dominating NAIA. They've been a tough team with a handful of playoff appearances but not dominant in the NSIC.

I wonder if Mary and Minot State regret transitioning from NAIA. They are bottom feeders in most sports.

Here's the DII Top 25 poll from AFCA released today. NSIC teams bold. Minnesota teams italics
1. Ferris State (29) (2-0)
2. Northwest Missouri State (2-0)
3. Grand Valley State (1) (2-0)
4. Shepherd (2-0)
5. Angelo State (2-0)
6. West Florida (2-0)
7. Harding (2-0)
8. West Georgia (2-0)
9. Newberry (2-0)
10. Ouachita Baptist (2-0)
11. Slippery Rock (2-0)
12. Ashland (2-0)
13. Augustana (2-0)
14. West Texas A&M (2-0)
15. Valdosta State (1-1)
16. Pittsburg State (2-0)
17. Notre Dame College (1-1)
18. Lenoir-Rhyne (1-1)
19. Indianapolis (1-0)
20. Bowie State (1-1)
21t. Albany State (1-1)
21t. Colorado School of Mines (0-2)
23. Saginaw Valley State (2-0)
24. Minnesota State-Mankato (2-0)
25. New Haven (1-1)

MIAC scores from Saturday (9/17)

Augsburg 45, Martin Luther College 7
St. Scholastica 63, Crown College 14
UW-Stout 28, Gustavus 25
Carleton 41, UM-Morris 7

I watched the first half of the Augsburg game online on a student feed from Martin Luther. (the announcing was.....interesting). The Auggies had 3 defensive TD's in the game.

Next week is the first full week of conference games.

Nice job outing yourself as having no idea what you are talking about

Here are the NSIC results for this weekend. Minnesota teams in bold:
  • No. 13 Augustana defeated Minnesota State Moorhead, 31-7
  • Wayne State defeated Minot State, 49-10
  • Southwest Minnesota State defeated UMary, 31-28
  • Bemidji State defeated Winona State, 34-24
  • Minnesota Duluth defeated Upper Iowa, 28-6
  • Northhern State defeated No. 24 Minnesota State Mankato, 23-22
  • Sioux Falls defeated Concordia St. Paul, 44-23
Next week, the games are:
  • Northern State Vs. Augustana
  • MSU Moorhead Vs. Winona State
  • UM Duluth Vs. Sioux Falls
  • UMary Vs. MSU Mankato
  • Bemidji State Vs. Upper Iowa
  • Minot State Vs. Southwest MN State
  • Concordia Vs. Wayne State

Here are the NSIC results for this weekend. Minnesota teams in bold:
  • No. 13 Augustana defeated Minnesota State Moorhead, 31-7
  • Wayne State defeated Minot State, 49-10
  • Southwest Minnesota State defeated UMary, 31-28
  • Bemidji State defeated Winona State, 34-24
  • Minnesota Duluth defeated Upper Iowa, 28-6
  • Northhern State defeated No. 24 Minnesota State Mankato, 23-22
  • Sioux Falls defeated Concordia St. Paul, 44-23
Next week, the games are:
  • Northern State Vs. Augustana
  • MSU Moorhead Vs. Winona State
  • UM Duluth Vs. Sioux Falls
  • UMary Vs. MSU Mankato
  • Bemidji State Vs. Upper Iowa
  • Minot State Vs. Southwest MN State
  • Concordia Vs. Wayne State

The Northern State win over Mankato is a bit surprising.

Sports can also help you get into a really quality school, that you may have been borderline to get in otherwise.

Carlton, for example, is a top 10(?) LA college in the nation, I believe.
No doubt. Not many people regret participating in college athletics. I was a bad D3 soccer player and loved it.

None!
Which high school did you play football at and how big do you think your dick is?
Nice attitude babe! Do you not think that the starters for most of the teams in the highest high school division in Mn could play D3? If you don’t think they could then that’s just silly frankly don’t know what you’re so upset about.

Top Bottom