All things D2 and D3 football 2022

MVFC, Big Sky, and CAA -- the competitive teams in those conferences are DI. Compete with those, and I'll respect you.

Pioneer is fake DI.
It literally is real d1
You not knowing what college sports are like doesn’t make your opinion correct.

There are 13 FCS conferences.
4 of those conferences don’t give the full scholarship allotment.

There are 125 FCS teams…according to you a quarter of FCS is fake. According to what it actually it is it is all FCS whether you like it or not.

You can go ahead and declare it fake and not live in reality.
Saying it’s lower quality football is true.
Saying it’s fake is fake.

@disco you might actually be interested in the Fargo downtown report, as it highlights something you brought up -- how downtown Moorhead is dead. And the need to revive it.

Essentially because, as it stands now, downtown Fargo doesn't really incorporate the river. Broadway is and has been the jewel of downtown for a while, but it's blocks away.

Anyway, this thing is incredible detailed and long. I think I barely skimmed over half of it: https://download.fargond.gov/0/downtowninfocus_final_highres.pdf

But page 37 and the following couple pages have the Moorhead part.

It literally is real d1
I'll hold the opinion I choose to hold

Pioneer is fake DI. Just because you don't know the history of DIII football, and kicking out Dayton for being DI in basketball, thus forcing them to start the Pioneer, is not my problem.

Then so is Ivy League,
So is Patriot league, so is Northeast
Do you consider MEAC fake?
Do you consider SWAC fake?
None of these are valid comparisons to the Pioneer.

FCS is a hodgepodge. Quite a spectrum of what schools are willing to spend on the sport of football.

They're required to be "DI" in football, by NCAA decree, if they're DI in basketball. That's the actual thing.

MVFC, Big Sky, and CAA -- the competitive teams in those conferences are DI. Compete with those, and I'll respect you.

Pioneer is fake DI.
Have it your way then. I still don't think it's a problem even for actual top D3 schools to compete with middle to bottom FCS schools.

FCS is a hodgepodge. Quite a spectrum of what schools are willing to spend on the sport of football.

They're required to be "DI" in football, by NCAA decree, if they're DI in basketball. That's the actual thing.

D1 basketball is a hodgepode too. There are plenty of top D2 programs that could play with alot of the mid-major conference teams. Just as there are lots of mid-majors that beat power 5 teams all the time. Just because you aren't there competing for championships within whatever division you are in, doesn't mean you can't handle playing there and have some success.

Money holds these universities back, not the ability to play at their level.

100%.

The very tip top of DIII could easily compete with the bottom and middle of FCS teams.

lol

Thread after thread, it is the same thing: various people arguing with the same person. It makes for a lot of disjointed material for me to piece together because I ignore-listed that person long, long ago. Seeing all this activity is a fresh reminder of the waste of time I could have created for myself if I had not fired up the ignore list back then.

I mean, I literally just went from the bowl assignment thread, where multiple people were engaged in back and forth exchanges with this dude, to this thread, which has devolved into the exact same thing. Trust me, there is no ah-ha moment in the future. You are wasting your time.

Speaking of actual Football - a reminder:

D3 Playoffs continue Saturday.

Bethel at 10-2 travels to Belton, TX to face 11-1 U. of Mary Hardin-Baylor. Noon kickoff.

UMHB is the Defending D3 National Champions. The "Crusaders" have won 58 of their last 60 games and have played in the D3 championship game 3 times since 2017. UMHB scores over 43 pts a game. Their QB has thrown for over 3,100 yards with 38 TD's and only 4 INT's.

Bethel is appearing in the Quarterfinal round for the 5th time.

Speaking of actual Football - a reminder:

D3 Playoffs continue Saturday.

Bethel at 10-2 travels to Belton, TX to face 11-1 U. of Mary Hardin-Baylor. Noon kickoff.

UMHB is the Defending D3 National Champions. The "Crusaders" have won 58 of their last 60 games and have played in the D3 championship game 3 times since 2017. UMHB scores over 43 pts a game. Their QB has thrown for over 3,100 yards with 38 TD's and only 4 INT's.

Bethel is appearing in the Quarterfinal round for the 5th time.

UMHB Athletics has a streaming app on Roku, Firestick and Chromecast (not sure about Apple) if anyone wants to watch Bethel on TV. Their football broadcasts are usually pretty good for small college. I'll probably be flipping between that and the Big 12 championship game.

Bethel up 21-14 over UMHB early in the 3rd quarter. UMHB has essentially 3 turnovers in the first half and a dropped interception in the 3rd that would have stopped a TD. It's starting to look like the reverse of the St. John's/Wartburg game last week.

Bethel up 21-14 over UMHB early in the 3rd quarter. UMHB has essentially 3 turnovers in the first half and a dropped interception in the 3rd that would have stopped a TD. It's starting to look like the reverse of the St. John's/Wartburg game last week.

Add two pre-snap penalties by UMHB on the goal line forcing a field goal. Bethel looking better and better as the defending champs continue to shoot themselves in the foot. Bethel 21-17.

and that's it for Bethel.

After leading 28-17 in the 2nd half, UMHB scores 24 unanswered points to win the D3 Quarter-final game 41-28.

Bethel ends its season with a 10-3 record. Royals will have some significant graduation losses from this year's squad.

So a bit of potential news. With Upper Iowa leaving the NSIC, combined with St. Cloud State and Minnesota Crookston dropping football, scheduling might be more flexible.

For a little over a decade, the NSIC has had its teams play full conference schedules from start to finish, but now, that amount could go down to 10 games, leaving the 11th slot open.

This means NSIC teams can play other D2 teams, or schedule D3/NAIA programs, although the latter won't count toward playoff eligibility. I think there's a lot of potential for scheduling for a few schools.

Augustana, Northern State and Sioux Falls could schedule other South Dakota Teams like Black Hills State and South Dakota School of Mines. Minnesota State Moorhead could also renew its rivalry against Concordia College, which hasn't been played since the 2000s.

So a bit of potential news. With Upper Iowa leaving the NSIC, combined with St. Cloud State and Minnesota Crookston dropping football, scheduling might be more flexible.

For a little over a decade, the NSIC has had its teams play full conference schedules from start to finish, but now, that amount could go down to 10 games, leaving the 11th slot open.

This means NSIC teams can play other D2 teams, or schedule D3/NAIA programs, although the latter won't count toward playoff eligibility. I think there's a lot of potential for scheduling for a few schools.

Augustana, Northern State and Sioux Falls could schedule other South Dakota Teams like Black Hills State and South Dakota School of Mines. Minnesota State Moorhead could also renew its rivalry against Concordia College, which hasn't been played since the 2000s.

Regarding replacing Upper Iowa and NAIA, I wonder if Morningside has considered moving back to D2? It would be a natural in the NSIC.

I hope there's room for D2 here. We've enjoyed seeing NSIC games in Duluth, St Cloud, St Paul, and Winona. Good atmosphere, reasonable ticket and concession prices, easy parking, good football.

New piece from the Fargo-Moorhead Forum encouraging Minnesota State Moorhead and Concordia College to renew their rivalry
For more than a decade, NSIC teams have been restricted to playing just league opponents during the regular season.

But next year there's an opening for a non-conference game. Two sources told me Minnesota State Moorhead had an inspired idea. To resurrect the Power Bowl and play Concordia.

The two Eighth Street rivals haven't faced each other since a climatic game in 2007. The Dragons were all in for this, I was told Concordia wasn't interested because the Cobbers had already filled their schedules for 2023 and 2024.

Even if it's just for one year, they need to re-consider this idea.

For those unfamiliar, the game has been called the Power Bowl since 1999 when Moorhead Public Service and Missouri River Energy Services started sponsoring the match-ups. It had been previously called the Crystal Bowl, when the game was sponsored by Crystal Sugar.

Concordia leads the series 49-25-12. The teams played every year except from 1943-1945 from 1916-2007.

D3 championship currently on ESPNU and it is a very hard hitting affair. Very impressive football.

I also see that Mount Union barely squeaked by Warburg in the semi final. Wartburg is no stranger to MIAC opponents. Gustavus beat Wartburg at Wartburg last year.

New piece from the Fargo-Moorhead Forum encouraging Minnesota State Moorhead and Concordia College to renew their rivalry
For more than a decade, NSIC teams have been restricted to playing just league opponents during the regular season.

But next year there's an opening for a non-conference game. Two sources told me Minnesota State Moorhead had an inspired idea. To resurrect the Power Bowl and play Concordia.

The two Eighth Street rivals haven't faced each other since a climatic game in 2007. The Dragons were all in for this, I was told Concordia wasn't interested because the Cobbers had already filled their schedules for 2023 and 2024.

Even if it's just for one year, they need to re-consider this idea.

For those unfamiliar, the game has been called the Power Bowl since 1999 when Moorhead Public Service and Missouri River Energy Services started sponsoring the match-ups. It had been previously called the Crystal Bowl, when the game was sponsored by Crystal Sugar.

Concordia leads the series 49-25-12. The teams played every year except from 1943-1945 from 1916-2007.
I hope this happens.

Top Bottom