All things Colton Iverson Thread

I for one told everyone Colt would be an all conference performer at CSU. Go back and check. Not only was he used wrong on offense, Tubby was asking Colt to strongly hedge on pick and rolls at the top of the key and he picked up lots of fouls there. CSU lets him back off and let his teammate fight through. It keeps him out of foul trouble. Occassionally if the guard is hot they have to change it up, but an average coach can make that adjustment.

I was one who suggested a couple of years ago that Colt be redshirted. At the time it was obvious that Tubby mysteriously loved Sampson and that Colt and Sampson didn't mesh together well. Also, at the time we didn't know that Mbakwe would be here this year. To me it would have been the perfect solution for Tubby and we would have him this year which could have helped a ton.

If he makes the NBA it will be as a backup. He only has to make a few visits to the D league to outdo Sampson and prove that what a joke that was. Hedging is an art, but it is also something that requires lateral quickness. Colt doesnt have much. So they don't always have him do it, he lets the guard jump through. You will see Izo with Nix do the same on occassion.

Hedging is an art? No, it's not. Shooting is an art. Dribbling is an art. Passing is an art.

Hedging is attitude, focus, desire, and quickness. It is not an art.

After starting his first two yrs, being told to redshirt probably wouldn't have gone over so well. There's a reason that's almost unheard of. He probably would've transferred anyway if they seriously asked him to do that.

I was one who suggested a couple of years ago that Colt be redshirted. At the time it was obvious that Tubby mysteriously loved Sampson and that Colt and Sampson didn't mesh together well. Also, at the time we didn't know that Mbakwe would be here this year. To me it would have been the perfect solution for Tubby and we would have him this year which could have helped a ton.

I have seen Iverson play many times and he got plenty of opportunities here to prove he was a Big 10 player and was unsuccessful. RSIII proved he was better shooter, passer, defender, and low post threat. Iverson proved he had hands of stone, slow, and unathletic. Do you remember how he use to travel and get his shot blocked against athletic bigs like J. Johnson? Do you remember how hard he threw the ball against the backboard shooting a layup against Purdue which would have sealed a win. He was a fish out of water in Big 10 play for the most part and I suspect that would be the case presently. He is putting up some numbers in a mid major conference comparable to what he occasionally did here against mid major competition. I remember RSIII putting up 20 plus points double digit reboounds and greater that five blocks against the Siena's and Western Kentucky's sharing playing time and shot attempts with more talented teammates. March madness is so upset that Iverson was a bust he continues to try and reinvent history.

I have seen Iverson play many times and he got plenty of opportunities here to prove he was a Big 10 player and was unsuccessful. RSIII proved he was better shooter, passer, defender, and low post threat. Iverson proved he had hands of stone, slow, and unathletic. Do you remember how he use to travel and get his shot blocked against athletic bigs like J. Johnson? Do you remember how hard he threw the ball against the backboard shooting a layup against Purdue which would have sealed a win. He was a fish out of water in Big 10 play for the most part and I suspect that would be the case presently. He is putting up some numbers in a mid major conference comparable to what he occasionally did here against mid major competition. I remember RSIII putting up 20 plus points double digit reboounds and greater that five blocks against the Siena's and Western Kentucky's sharing playing time and shot attempts with more talented teammates. March madness is so upset that Iverson was a bust he continues to try and reinvent history.

He had 4 20 point games in his career, 6 10 rebound games, and never had a game with 20-10-5...but your point is well taken.

@DarrenWolfson: Jay Bilas just now on ESPN on ex-#Gophers center Colton Iverson: "One of the best post-up players in the nation." Had 26 & 15 today for CSU. I watched Iverson struggle here. He especially struggled at power forward in the high post, strongly hedging on pick and rolls. He also struggled on the wing in a 2-3 zone. Once his confidence was gone he could hardly catch and finish some games. I agree with all of it. Then refs started whistling him for everything. Tubby never took a T or backed him up. He was never taught how and when to be physical and when to lay off.

My only point and evidence is to watch him today. The moutain west is pretty strong this year and i saw him play against 2 top 25 teams in UNLV and New Mexico. New Mexico plays 2 guys bigger than anyone in the big ten. One transfer year and some coaching and he is an all conference performer. Take it as you will. Lots of peolpe didnt care he left, i did, i saw potential. Now others in the nation are.

Colt had a career high 29 pts on 12 of 12 shooting at Wyoming last night. 8 rebounds, 5-7 free throws, 2 steals, and just 1 turnover. It is too bad he cannot play.

Historians help me out why did Iverson leave? Anyone know the truth ?

Because he wasn't getting the playing time he wanted or deserved and was being used in a way that didn't suit his strengths. Also said he didn't feel like he was developing the way he hoped, which is likely because of what I already mentioned.

Because he wasn't getting the playing time he wanted or deserved and was being used in a way that didn't suit his strengths. Also said he didn't feel like he was developing the way he hoped, which is likely because of what I already mentioned.

I think it was due to a number of things. He was a target of Big ten referees, I think he was close wtih Devoe, and he was looking at a senior season battling for playing time with Ralph, Trevor and EE. Easy to see he was the odd man out. They could have redshirted him but the pressure to burn the redshirt would have been immense when Trevor got hurt.

Historians help me out why did Iverson leave? Anyone know the truth ?

3ef3ca00092429f1ea789f5801bc6a32-missouri-tigers-mascot-takes-bong-hit.jpg

Iverson first team All-Mountain West.
Iverson, a 6-10, 261-pound senior forward/center, was the only MW player to average a double-double in Conference play in 2012-13 with a league-high 10.4 rebounds and seventh-best 14.6 points per game. He scored in double figures in 13 of 16 Conference contests, while registering double-digit rebounds in nine games. The Yankton, S.D., product also led the MW with a 60.6 field goal shooting percentage.

He was also the Denver Posts Region player of the year. 3 time Mountain West player of the week. I believe he may have finished 2nd or 3rd for MWC player of the year, I cannot find the numbers though.

Congrats to Colt on getting his 1000th pt. Another night with 24 pts and 16 reb, going 9 for 16, mostly against future lottery pick Anthony Bennett. Unfortunately CSU with injured pg Green, who wasn't playing at full speed, as UNLV advanced to the MWC final.

I'm sorry, and hard to say if it is all on Tubs, but the success of Colt and Cobbs is really gonna leave a black mark on his time here. I know the comp. is not the same out west but I have a hard time believing these two could have been better than most of the players MN has been trotting out the last couple of years.

I'm sorry, and hard to say if it is all on Tubs, but the success of Colt and Cobbs is really gonna leave a black mark on his time here. I know the comp. is not the same out west but I have a hard time believing these two could have been better than most of the players MN has been trotting out the last couple of years.
Iverson's ability was clearly apparent, chronic misuse by the coaching staff. Cobbs' success was much tougher to foresee.

Iverson's ability was clearly apparent, chronic misuse by the coaching staff. Cobbs' success was much tougher to foresee.

Iverson was consistently better than RSIII in almost every conceivable category, other than outside shooting. (Note, he shouldn't have been needed as an outside shooter.) His mistreatment here always seemed to me to be a Tubby tragedy. I'm surprised he never punched a Big Ten ref, he certainly deserved to do such.

That's an indictment too because Cobbs never got enough playing time to make a good evaluation of him.

That's an indictment too because Cobbs never got enough playing time to make a good evaluation of him.

If Cobbs played more, it would have meant less playing time for Devoe Joseph, Al Nolen, Blake Hoffarber, and Lawrence Westbrook; all of which were already playing less than 28 minutes a game. Cobbs would have gotten more playing time the next season and certainly the two years after. I think he was lucky to get 10 minutes a game with those four guys in the back court already.

Would you have preferred that he (as a true freshman) played over Al Nolen, or Devoe Joseph? (I realize Al Nolen was out half the year - but Cobbs played 11 minutes a game, not sure how we could have found reason to play him much more than that)

Would you have preferred that he (as a true freshman) played over Al Nolen, or Devoe Joseph? (I realize Al Nolen was out half the year - but Cobbs played 11 minutes a game, not sure how we could have found reason to play him much more than that)

Was it really 11 minutes per game? That's a lot more than I remember.

Was it really 11 minutes per game? That's a lot more than I remember.

10.7 to be exact. He played in all games but one. He shot just 33% overall and just 3 of 17 from beyond the arch. Many people were screaming how stupid Tubby was for signing him. I think it was more about just having to wait for his turn to get opportunities.

10.7 to be exact. He played in all games but one. He shot just 33% overall and just 3 of 17 from beyond the arch. Many people were screaming how stupid Tubby was for signing him. I think it was more about just having to wait for his turn to get opportunities.

You are right, people on the gophe hole often suffer from revisionist history. There were many on here that complained that signing cobbs was a wasted scholarship and he wasn't a big ten player. Many said the same thing about Colton.

I can only speak for myself. I vividly remember remarking to my seat mates that he looked like he had the tools.

I can only speak for myself. I vividly remember remarking to my seat mates that he looked like he had the tools.

He didn't really impress me that much but I also thought it was ridiculous to call a guy a bust (yes some people were saying that) when he doesn't play much and was a freshman.

He didn't really impress me that much but I also thought it was ridiculous to call a guy a bust (yes some people were saying that) when he doesn't play much and was a freshman.

Most of all I'm just glad for the kid. When I've watched him at Cal he looks like he's enjoying being the floor leader out there.

Most of all I'm just glad for the kid. When I've watched him at Cal he looks like he's enjoying being the floor leader out there.
It is rare when it looks like anyone enjoys playing the game for Tubby's team. We seem to look scared with no swagger and show no joy in just playing the game.

It is rare when it looks like anyone enjoys playing the game for Tubby's team. We seem to look scared with no swagger and show no joy in just playing the game.

That's what I was thinking when we beat Wisconsin at home, MSU, Indiana, playing Memphis, Stanford. Oh nevermind, I was thinking the complete opposite.

In the road (excluding Illinois), There is some merit. At home, not as much.

Top Bottom