All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Makes a lot of sense that it trailed off as he likely stopped recruiting after getting Jarvis and JN to sign back in what October? A bunch of departures created the situation we are dealing with right now, and given that Pitino didn't plan on recruiting 7 kids for 2015, I think the fact we are getting 3* or better and no unheard of's is a definite improvement from the year prior and regime prior.

Its tough for anyone to recruit someone for only 2 or 3 months and is part of the reason I've given Pitino a pass on his first 2 classes. These last 3 scholarships should not hamstring this program based on "ratings" and in some cases will be freed up in 2 years or less to hopefully be filled by a fall plan A/B/C recruit rather than a late addition scramble.

Russo was never my top choice, but at least he will add some legit athleticism to the PF position. He should be able to improve our ability to press and run from the front court, something we haven't really had at the PF position under Pitino. If he has improved significantly from his HS years, which it sounds like he has, then we should be getting a pretty useful addition.

I'm not very excited about Russo, especially since he will eat up a scholly for 2016 too and I think it could be used for a better prospect. I'd prefer we bank it for 2016

Big F'n deal. He's a 6'-9" JUCO PF ready to fill a need for the next two years, sounds good to me.

Russo (6-foot-9, 220 pounds) is a sophomore from Bloomington, Minn.

He averaged 11.9 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists, making 51.4 percent of his shots, 33.3 percent of his three-pointers and 58.4 percent of his foul shots. He earned All-Western Junior College Athletic Conference honors. As a freshman, Russo played at the College of Southern Idaho and averaged 8.5 points and 4.3 rebounds.

Miller said he expects Russo to play power forward at his next stop.

“He’s a multi-dimensional forward,” Miller said. “He’s very skilled — he can dribble, pass and shoot. He can guard multiple positions.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article18529016.html#storylink=cpy

Big F'n deal. He's a 6'-9" JUCO PF ready to fill a need for the next two years, sounds good to me.

He averaged 11.9 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists, making 51.4 percent of his shots, 33.3 percent of his three-pointers and 58.4 percent of his foul shots. He earned All-Western Junior College Athletic Conference honors. As a freshman, Russo played at the College of Southern Idaho and averaged 8.5 points and 4.3 rebounds.

“He’s a multi-dimensional forward,” Miller said. “He’s very skilled — he can dribble, pass and shoot. He can guard multiple positions.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article18529016.html#storylink=cpy

Exactly

IF HE SIGNS Russo will be fine. We absolutely need a PF to come in and play minutes right away, and Russo does that. If Russo isn't good enough for the B1G, which none of us know, it's a 2 year issue rather than 4 years. Between Boucher, who few of us knew anything about other than some gawdy numbers, and Russo the fact that they were JUCOs was my favorite thing. Recruit a 4 year PF that fits the system next year and let them not have to be a starter year one. That's best case scenario.

Good post on Russo. He can still get a lot stronger with a good nutrition and weight program. He can move and if he is really serious about working and it sounds like he is, there is a lot of upside. Good recruit.

Unless we have other departures sooner than later, I think it's a big deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that leaves us with one scholarship for 2016 (with Hurt's verbal). Recruiting is a crap shoot, but we are recruiting players for 2016 that have more potential than Russo. I'm not saying it'd be the worst thing in the world, but definitely doesn't get me very excited.

Unless we have other departures sooner than later, I think it's a big deal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that leaves us with one scholarship for 2016 (with Hurt's verbal). Recruiting is a crap shoot, but we are recruiting players for 2016 that have more potential than Russo. I'm not saying it'd be the worst thing in the world, but definitely doesn't get me very excited.

Whens the last time we didn't have more scholarships available than expected. Said differently, when was the last time we had the = number seniors graduate as new players enter the program the following year.

There will be more than 2 players signed next year. 3 is a GREAT size for recruiting classes. Spend all of our time getting the best 3 guys we can get and we already have one.

Whens the last time we didn't have more scholarships available than expected. Said differently, when was the last time we had the = number seniors graduate as new players enter the program the following year.

There will be more than 2 players signed next year. 3 is a GREAT size for recruiting classes. Spend all of our time getting the best 3 guys we can get and we already have one.

I get it. And I do realize that there will likely be another scholarship open for 2016, but it will probably be late again and we'll be in this same position - scrambling to find a recruit. But with Lynch already sitting out this year, I guess we need to fill the scholarship.

I'd prefer we bank it for 2016. But, we already have Lynch on the bench for next year....

I don't agree. There are 6 new immediately eligible players. Even if only four of them turn out to be significant rotational players next year, Mason picks up where he left off, and Bakary shows healthy improvement, then you have at 6 players of your rotational core already in place. Lynch will have practiced with the team for a year and could easily be the 7th. I haven't even included possible contributions from Buggs and Gaston. At that point, you really don't need that much from next year's class. Since one has already committed, Pitino can focus on getting the single best player he can for a position of need. He may have another scholarship open next spring anyway.

The unknown player isn't always worth waiting for and it is better to get a competent core of players established sooner rather than later.

Since one has already committed, Pitino can focus on getting the single best player he can for a position of need. He may have another scholarship open next spring anyway.

I'm usually against this, but I hope he over-recruits and goes for 3 (two more) '16 guys this fall.

I get it. And I do realize that there will likely be another scholarship open for 2016, but it will probably be late again and we'll be in this same position - scrambling to find a recruit. But with Lynch already sitting out this year, I guess we need to fill the scholarship.

We are not scrambling to find a recruit. We picked up a guy that was signed in the fall by a decent mid major and we picked up a transfer who fell in our lap who was arguably the best player next year on a semi successful mid/low major. Russo would be a quality JUCO addition who would fill a position of need. HARDLY scrambling.

Scrambling would be if we pick up Stevie two Toes in August, which if we end up doing that, I'll agree that's a scramble job. EVERYONE recruits in May, EVERYONE. You just want to make sure you're not only recruiting in May and it's best if you do it as little as possible for the upcoming season.

Who are you afraid we lose because of not having enough scholarships. The only players who i'd be afraid of losing already have offers and know the scholarship situation. If they don't pick MN then they don't get to come here. Plus it'd be another scholarship for the 2017 class that is shaping up to be quite nice (Theo John, Goanar mar, Gary trent Jr in state players)

Amelia reporting Russo likely to commit to Fresno State as Minnesota has "cooled on him" and that Lofton could be rejoining.

@AmeliaRayno
In that blog: expect Cullen Russo to commit to Fresno State soon as MN interest has cooled. Also, could Zach Lofton rejoin team?

Wow, one of the more shocking turns in this crazy 2015 class. We must be hot on the heels of another PF/C recruit.

On the blog: Minnesota has one 2015 scholarship remaining. What are Pitino and Co's options? http://t.co/IxJJ7rqQoM

Other options...

So what are the Gophers’ remaining options? Let’s take a look:

Jordan Murphy: Although his name hasn’t been brought up much in the last few months, the Gophers’ interest is still high in this 6-7 three-star small forward.

Kyle Washington: The Gophers would love to have the Champlin native … just like everyone else in the country. At 6-9, 230 pounds, the North Carolina State transfer would certainly help fill a size void, even after sitting a year.

Jordan Caroline: The Southern Illinois transfer told Gopher Illustrated (Rivals) that he would be in Minnesota this weekend. Cincinnati, Xavier and Nevada are in play as well.

Tyler Kohl: One of the Gophers’ longest-pursued targets in the 2015 class, the 6-5, 225-pound Kohl is still waiting out a decision – perhaps to wring as much interest as he can out of a recruitment that’s dwindled somewhat.

Novian Cherry: The San Diego native is the other JUCO that topped Minnesota’s original list, but Cherry hasn’t gotten as much attention as the other three (Russo, Boucher and Mulder) that the Gophers were initially targeting. The Gophers still have a hand in his recruitment, but it’s unclear how serious they are about the wing, especially after getting a commitment from Gilbert.

Goddamnit... If I have to keep changing my stance on people I'm going to be rather pissed off..... I just went full Pollyanna on Cullen Russo... I will, however, state that earlier today I DID bold the "if he commits" portion of my post. Call me Nostradamus.

Who are you afraid we lose because of not having enough scholarships. The only players who i'd be afraid of losing already have offers and know the scholarship situation. If they don't pick MN then they don't get to come here. Plus it'd be another scholarship for the 2017 class that is shaping up to be quite nice (Theo John, Goanar mar, Gary trent Jr in state players)

Coffey, Goodin, Ponds, Holman. I realize they are long shots, but I'd rather have a scholarship available than give to Russo. I just don't see a lot of upside with him.

I agree, the 2017 class is looking great. But John, Mar, Trent (and maybe even Davidson) are far from slam dunks for Pitino too.

Goddamnit... If I have to keep changing my stance on people I'm going to be rather pissed off..... I just went full Pollyanna on Cullen Russo... I will, however, state that earlier today I DID bold the "if he commits" portion of my post. Call me Nostradamus.

Good laugh!

Would like to see us get Jordan Murphy even though that could be pretty tough

Agreed. Murphy would be a huge/incredible pick up. Really hope Pitino can land him.

He, or any other JUCO or Grad Transfer 4/5. Getting Gaston another year of development would be huge, King is likely playing 30 minutes a game, so the need for Gaston/Buggs to play the 4 is going to be limited to 10 minutes between the two of them, but if we could have someone who could capably fill in these 10 minutes or better yet, get Joey down to 25, AWESOME.

Russo looked pretty good in his highlight film. Is that a good read on his ability or clever editing?

I like Joey, but we also need to be prepared for the random worthless fouls that inevitably put him on the bench for the final 8 minutes of the first half. He has a lot of freak-out moments on defense that can get him in trouble. Hopefully Buggs is putting in the time and can be counted on to play some minutes when it matters.

I wish we had some better front court options, but I'm moderately confident that the five guys we have (Konate, Joey, Buggs, Diedhiou, Nwankwo) will be adequate for competitiveness. Hope my flood of overwhelming enthusiasm isn't too much for everyone. POLLYANNA?

@AmeliaRayno
In that blog: expect Cullen Russo to commit to Fresno State soon as MN interest has cooled. Also, could Zach Lofton rejoin team?

Zach Lofton: Per two sources, there is a small chance Pitino would take the Illinois State transfer back.

I'll go with slim to nil chance he is on scholarship next season.

Top Bottom