All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Are we even still officially under consideration? Odd Doogie didn't mention Gilbert as a reason he won't commit to Gophers. That wouldn't sound as negative as the way he phrased it though, I suppose.

Are we even still officially under consideration? Odd Doogie didn't mention Gilbert as a reason he won't commit to Gophers. That wouldn't sound as negative as the way he phrased it though, I suppose.

I think the media and other folks have misled the masses on Ellison especially, but also Boucher. Sometimes the reasons are more simple than you'd think.

PS - hopefully this post doesn't get deleted by the mods. Can't post much on here because their are double standards - different rules for different folks.

So, I won't get deep into thoughts on Olivier here, but may add more on Twitter:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think the media and other folks have misled the masses on Ellison especially, but also Boucher. Sometimes the reasons are more simple than you'd think.

PS - hopefully this post doesn't get deleted by the mods. Can't post much on here because their are double standards - different rules for different folks.

So, I won't get deep into thoughts on Olivier here, but may add more on Twitter:

So you are insinuating we cooled on Boucher because we have a really good shot at Olivier?

Anybody want to summarize where we went wrong with Boucher? Or why we decided to "cool" on him? Whatever it may be.

What part of what I posted was untrue? Where was the fabrication of facts there?

If you go to his tweets or others, you'll see that he had flight complications that weekend. It had nothing to do with TT. He is said to go to TCU anyways. What changed his mind was the fact that Richard will find a way to get out of here sooner than later. Who wants to play for a coach whose future is uncertain? Just think a bit.

If you go to his tweets or others, you'll see that he had flight complications that weekend. It had nothing to do with TT. He is said to go to TCU anyways. What changed his mind was the fact that Richard will find a way to get out of here sooner than later. Who wants to play for a coach whose future is uncertain? Just think a bit.

Again, please show me where I stated anything different. I explicitly stated I couldn't recall the reason for the scheduling issue. Maybe the "scheduling at TT" was a little off, could have phrased it differently, however honestly did not remember the exact reason and didn't feel like looking it up. Pointed out a scheduling issue resulted in him not visiting which is 100% what happened. Go ahead and put your Tubby cape away, it will all be okay.

"If that's the case, the scheduling issues at TT very well may have caused (sic) us Boucher. Don't remember the circumstances, but was supposed to visit Tubby one weekend, for whatever reason issues happened and he had to go the next thus pushing back his MN visit to where he ultimately didn't take it and eliminated the Gophers. Great."

I have no idea if Pitino's "future is uncertain" at Minnesota, but he isn't the first coach to have his name thrown out by media members every time a job opens up. But since you asked, apparently Jarvis, Dorsey, McBrayer, Nwankwo, Gilbert and Lynch all want to play here.

Go Gophers!!

Boucher is the one that I was really hoping for. I think he is gong to do some amazing things in the next two years. He would have been a great addition. But I still like our class coming in. The team got better at some positions (for the long term). Im not saying the team will be any better next year as we lost a lot of senior contributors. We have a lot of opportunities for a lot of kids to step up to the plate and take on some leadership next season.

At this point if we use the last scholarship I hope it is on a senior grad transfer who can come in and give us one year at a position of need which still leaves the spot open for the following season.

Plus I hope it is someone who scores an important basket to win a game against Wisconsin at home so we can all cheer for our "rent a player" right in front of Bo Ryan.

the only reason we are still listed is that they want to look like he has 26 options. He can't come here.

meh

We offered Russo I guess.

Now that he has an offer I'd be surprised if doesn't end up a Gopher.

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cullen Russo has been offered by Minnesota, and has canceled his official visit to Wichita State this weekend, per his JUCO coach.</p>— Matt Jessen-Howard (@mjessenhoward) <a href="https://twitter.com/mjessenhoward/status/594598374881427457">May 2, 2015</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Russo would be a good get. Posters expect too much from recruiting . I expect him to be a solid 2 year contributor if he commits.

I like Russo's game so I'm not going to get upset about him getting the last scholarship. With that said, you can certainly make a case there were other choices that could have been better (graduate transfer player to keep a third scholarship available for 2016). Russo's a combo forward so that won't necessarily help the inexperience at the 5. Can they play Russo/King/Buggs up front for spurts? Maybe against non-conference teams… At this point it's time to really figure out what the staff can do with Konate, Diedhiou and Nwanwko.. all three guys need to step it up immediately. You're not asking a lot from them outside of good interior defense, rebounding on both ends, setting screens for the playmakers on offense.. etc.. Lynch will probably start as a junior (anyone else not thrilled with three junior bigs in a year?)..

Anyways, couple weeks ago it was Boucher/Ellison for option 1, Russo/Gilbert for option 2.. let's not act like they just picked up Armelin and Ahanmisi.. those were summer guys after the spring signing period! Armelin committed in August!

Russo would be a good get. Posters expect too much from recruiting . I expect him to be a solid 2 year contributor if he commits.

Agreed. He isn't the rebounding monster I hoped for but his combination of length and athleticism should definitely help in the front court. At this point, I just hope the class of 2015 is officially concluded soon.

I like Russo's game so I'm not going to get upset about him getting the last scholarship. With that said, you can certainly make a case there were other choices that could have been better (graduate transfer player to keep a third scholarship available for 2016). Russo's a combo forward so that won't necessarily help the inexperience at the 5. Can they play Russo/King/Buggs up front for spurts? Maybe against non-conference teams… At this point it's time to really figure out what the staff can do with Konate, Diedhiou and Nwanwko.. all three guys need to step it up immediately. You're not asking a lot from them outside of good interior defense, rebounding on both ends, setting screens for the playmakers on offense.. etc.. Lynch will probably start as a junior (anyone else not thrilled with three junior bigs in a year?)..

Anyways, couple weeks ago it was Boucher/Ellison for option 1, Russo/Gilbert for option 2.. let's not act like they just picked up Armelin and Ahanmisi.. those were summer guys after the spring signing period! Armelin committed in August!

Well, exactly. Between Bakary, Gaston, and Nwanko they should be able to come up with a satisfactory rotation at the center. If nothing else, they are all big enough. Based on what I saw last year, Gaston is probably better playing in a more restricted range of territory anyway. Neither King, nor Buggs, nor Russo would seem to fit most fans' ideal of a power forward but we know that King can shoot, Buggs is quick and athletic, and Russo likely would be more athletic than Joey and a better all around player than Buggs. Between the three of them sharing various forward roles, the team should be much better off than it was two years ago with the soph version of Joey and Otto sharing that role.

Strange, one of this school's greatest stars got a scholarship that HE was never intended to get either!

This recruiting class starting out so promising and has just tailed off. I'm sure Murphy is a VERY long shot. Olivier would be a decent get as he can rebound and bang, and will only be on scholarship for one year. I'm not very excited about Russo, especially since he will eat up a scholly for 2016 too and I think it could be used for a better prospect. I'd prefer we bank it for 2016. But, we already have Lynch on the bench for next year....

Top Bottom