All Things Class of 2015 Recruiting - Class Finally Complete? Nope Chris Obekpa visit

Looks more and more possible Russo will take the last scholarship. Not sure if that's good or bad. He definitely isn't what we wanted.
Not sure he has an offer and wouldn't be surprised if the options for the last scholarship are Murphy, Washington, or bank it for 2016.

Not sure he has an offer and wouldn't be surprised if the options for the last scholarship are Murphy, Washington, or bank it for 2016.

Oh really? I thought he had an offer, didn't he go on an official visit last weekend?

Looks like Ryan James confirmed it. Wtf. Pretty disappointed in this news. We need fromtcourt help badly. Not too confident going into next season with King, Bakary, Gaston, and Nwankwo as our bigs next year.

According to Verbal Commits, there are at least 6 decent uncommitted big men who are immediately eligible senior transfers (and I'm not counting the two most prominent ones). I doubt any of them could have the impact of Boucher but they might be able to be significant front court players. Pitino should be offering them.

I agree with you about the lack of confidence in the set of big men currently on the team.

Not going to sugarcoat this for Coach Pitino: we had two top targets over the last month or two (longer for Ellison) and he missed on both of them with neither getting a blue blood offer. That said, I do think it's at least interesting the Boucher's finalists all play in the Big 12 or Pac 12 where his frame might be less of an issue than in the Big Ten. Also interesting is that Boucher was Coach Pomeday's first assignment after being promoted when McHale left.

I hope Pitino is true to his word and does treat the available scholarship(s) like gold.

Not going to sugarcoat this for Coach Pitino: we had two top targets over the last month or two (longer for Ellison) and he missed on both of them with neither getting a blue blood offer. That said, I do think it's at least interesting the Boucher's finalists all play in the Big 12 or Pac 12 where his frame might be less of an issue than in the Big Ten. Also interesting is that Boucher was Coach Pomeday's first assignment after being promoted when McHale left.

I hope Pitino is true to his word and does treat the available scholarship(s) like gold.

I think it's telling of the value McHale had more than anything. I think we have enough bodies next year, I really hope we don't go after a mediocre recruit. I'd much rather go after a couple of big fish in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with the previous two sentiments. Though the Gopher roster looks rather suspect at the 4 & 5 for next season, let's not give away a scholarship to a marginal recruit simply to fill the roster. ... going to take our lumps next season, anyways. It's not like the Gophers are a player away from being a NCAA team. Bank it, and if Pitino is an ace recruiter, he'll find a better player (preferably a PF/C) next year at this time to join (presumably) a more talented & experienced 2016-17 roster.

With the whiff on Boucher and having to wait a year for Lynch's s services, next season it's also important to truly find out what we have in Konate & Diedhiou. Unless the next John Thomas, Courtney James, or Trevor Mbakwe is walking through the door ready to join the Gophers, give Konate and Diedhiou a ton of minutes and see what they can do. Am cool with that. It's where we're at in Year 3, for better or worse.

Agree with the previous two sentiments. Though the Gopher roster looks rather suspect at the 4 & 5 for next season, let's not give away a scholarship to a marginal recruit simply to fill the roster. ... going to take our lumps next season, anyways. It's not like the Gophers are a player away from being a NCAA team. Bank it, and if Pitino is an ace recruiter, he'll find a better player (preferably a PF/C) next year at this time to join (hopefully) a more talented & experienced 2016-17 roster.

With the whiff on Boucher and having to wait a year for Lynch's s services, next season it's also important to truly find out what we have in Konate & Diedhiou. Unless the next John Thomas, Courtney James, or Trevor Mbakwe is walking through the door ready to join the Gophers, give Konate and Diedhiou a ton of minutes and see what they can do. Am cool with that. It's where we're at in Year 3, for better or worse.

I'd give the scholarship to Ellison, Murphy or a senior transfer, bank it if not one of those three. If we can with a good conscious give Lofton a walk on status and then give him a one year scholarship similar to what we've done with Shell over the past 2 years as scholarships become available, that would be fine by me as well.

Edit: Why are we so down on Russo? Just because he is going to take up a scholarship? And I also forgot about Washington who would be another I wouldn't mind us offering the scholarship to. I don't know enough about Russo's game but if everyone is against signing him because he would be a reach, his rankings on 247 are certainly not terrible. And it's not like he would be a spring recruit reach, and he's immediately helping at a position of need with Joey King graduating next year and we would be pretty vacant at the 4 position aside from Gaston and Buggs the following year.

If everyone is concerned about not having enough scholarships to get good players next year, we'll sign 3, I would bet my house on it. Whether we bank a scholarship this year or we loose someone through the season, we'll sign 3 guys minimum. Which would be a perfect amount.

Oh really? I thought he had an offer, didn't he go on an official visit last weekend?
I've seen some places say he does and some say he doesn't so not sure what the truth is but yes he did visit officially last week.

Anybody want to summarize where we went wrong with Boucher? Or why we decided to "cool" on him? Whatever it may be.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

madtown, it says that chris is out of visits until he graduates and didn't want to wait that long to decide.

not necessarily buying that. whole thing seems weird and disappointing.

Time to shut down recruiting. We are now slumming it. It's not worth getting someone like Ahanmisi for the sake of filling out the roster. Save the scholarship for next year and get better players.

Time to shut down recruiting. We are now slumming it. It's not worth getting someone like Ahanmisi for the sake of filling out the roster. Save the scholarship for next year and get better players.

Can we re open recruiting if Jordan Murphy wants to come here? Is that okay?

madtown, it says that chris is out of visits until he graduates and didn't want to wait that long to decide. not necessarily buying that. whole thing seems weird and disappointing.

If that's the case, the scheduling issues at TT very well may have caused us Boucher. Don't remember the circumstances, but was supposed to visit Tubby one weekend, for whatever reason issues happened and he had to go the next thus pushing back his MN visit to where he ultimately didn't take it and eliminated the Gophers. Great.

If that's the case, the scheduling issues at TT very well may have caused us Boucher. Don't remember the circumstances, but was supposed to visit Tubby one weekend, for whatever reason issues happened and he had to go the next thus pushing back his MN visit to where he ultimately didn't take it and eliminated the Gophers. Great.

I knew somehow this was going to be tied to the previous admin. They steal players now. Lets add this to their wonderful MN-made resume.

I'd give it a %2 percent chance we don't pick up another player... Russo, Wash, this dude... someone.

6-8, 245 forward from Chicago. Averaged 13 ppg and 5.3 rpg. Started career at UNI.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/custompages/mbball/2014-15/EIU_MBX2015_Stats.pdf

I knew somehow this was going to be tied to the previous admin. They steal players now. Lets add this to their wonderful MN-made resume.

What part of what I posted was untrue? Where was the fabrication of facts there?

I had a feeling we may not be done. Thus far we have really helped ourselves for 2016/17. When Lynch walks on campus, he'll be our best big. Gilbert will take minutes from Morris next season, then compete with Hurt the following year. I never understood the love for Ellison. We recruited 3 or 4 wings which looked about equal to me, with Gilbert being the tallest and longest. I would take Jordan Murphy, as our future PF, in a heartbeat.

He is announcing his decision today but that would be my guess.

Not quite the build-up that maybe we had hoped in the past, but.....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Malik Ellison announces at 3 pm: St. John's, Rutgers, Minny, South Carolina. Would be a nice pickup for Chris Mullin.
<a href="http://t.co/sjZU3hiSTB">http://t.co/sjZU3hiSTB</a></p>— Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/594130024560754688">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom