All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

We make his final 7. I'm afraid that's about as close to landing him as we're going to get.

Michigan would annoy me. Ohio State would annoy me. Memphis would annoy me (though Memphis isn't as in your face from a national perspective so it might not be awful). Georgetown would annoy me (though they aren't as in your face from a national perspective either).

I have no idea if the G-League is an option (do the kids include that one when they release their final x lists?) but that would annoy me because of the folks who think college basketball needs Chet Holmgren would proclaim its death.

I'd be good with Gonzaga though they have plenty of good bigs so it would be kind of annoying.

I'd enjoy Carolina even if they have a good crop of bigs simply because of how the moral high horse folks around here would combust.

At least Duke and Wisconsin aren’t on his list. I’d probably just jump off a bridge if he played for the badgers

So typical of Minnesota fan base ?. All the fans of every program are tweeting go to their school, it will be great. Minnesotan (Doogie) is the ONLY one who dismantled a fellow Minnesotan’s case for him to go the U, what a tool. No other example can be seen in the thread of that with any of the other programs. It’s not surprising though, I have seen it before, it’s almost like a badge of honor for Minnesotans to talk down the U.

So typical of Minnesota fan base ?. All the fans of every program are tweeting go to their school, it will be great. Minnesotan (Doogie) is the ONLY one who dismantled a fellow Minnesotan’s case for him to go the U, what a tool. No other example can be seen in the thread of that with any of the other programs. It’s not surprising though, I have seen it before, it’s almost like a badge of honor for Minnesotans to talk down the U.

To be fair, it was an idiotic statement and kind of disrespectful to Chet to say that he's "just another out of state recruit" to other programs.

per Marcus:

While his recruiting stock has gone up, Holmgren’s list for a future college home narrowed Friday when he announced his final choices in a Twitter post showing seven college jerseys: Minnesota, Michigan, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Georgetown, Memphis and North Carolina. He had received offers from more than 30 schools.

“I think I fit in well at all the places I selected,” Holmgren said. “They all have great coaching staffs, I see them becoming a big part of my family, and they will push me to get better.”

With recruiting travel restricted like all sports, Holmgren has found himself of late doing a fair share of Zoom calls recently with college coaches.

“I just won’t get the campus feel or experience,” Holmgren said. “I’ve tried to enjoy every one of them, but it can get overwhelming. I’m taking it one step at a time.”

Go Gophers!!

To be fair, it was an idiotic statement and kind of disrespectful to Chet to say that he's "just another out of state recruit" to other programs.

No doubt the comment was dumb, but man Doogie hasn't been very Pitino friendly since Ben left. I get it he said gotta kiss his sources butt for info, but it's annoying when he goes out of his way

Maybe, but that’s what fans do. Do you think Doogie will go through and counter any of the other idiotic statements of other teams fans? Nope. . . and that’s the entire point

We make his final 7. I'm afraid that's about as close to landing him as we're going to get.

More than anything ... it's just damn annoying how dishonest these kids are. They have 0.0% desire to play for the Gophers.

Georgetown? That'd actually be kind of cool. Has MN ever had a prep kid play at G-Town?

I agree. Georgetown would bother me the least if he went there. Plus....being coached by Patrick Ewing wouldn't exactly be a bad thing.

20 yrs of crap.
I honestly hope that Chet realizes that a majority of college basketball fans in this state think less of him for falsely including the Gophers in his top 12398 teams (or whatever the random, ridiculously large number actually is).

Enjoy all the free, comped benefits Chet. Plus all the friends you take with you to free VIP/suites at Gopher games, knowing full well you won't be coming here.

I honestly hope that Chet realizes that a majority of college basketball fans in this state think less of him for falsely including the Gophers in his top 12398 teams (or whatever the random, ridiculously large number actually is).

Enjoy all the free, comped benefits Chet. Plus all the friends you take with you to free VIP/suites at Gopher games, knowing full well you won't be coming here.

Well said.

I completely agree with you, but at the same time that does hold some weight in comparison to a school like UNC who regularly grabs this kind of elite talent. His potential impact at minnesota relative to a school like that is far greater. Also, f*ck doogie.

Careful, Built said we can't joke about Becky's fondness of white suburban kids
Joke about whatever you want, they are fond of winning no matter what color someone is or where they are from. Me personally i do not make jokes about race.

We have seen this all before. It’s part of the show.
I see every situation differently. He is a rare legacy. He may want to play here if it is his dream school. He may think that Pitino is the best coach that offered him. He may care about stability, he may not. Coaches i know told me early on that they were never going to offer because they said they could not get him. UVA never offered, Duke, Kentucky, Nova ALL FELT the same. UW never offered. Is it because they are all USA basketball guys and know Mark Few, i have no idea but i know UVA was not going to waste anytime with no shot. I never assume that he has Minnesota as some token gesture.

Last edited:

Joke about whatever you want, they are fond of winning no matter what color someone is or where they are from. Me personally i do not make jokes about race.
How many blacks from Milwaukee and Chicago city schools have they offered?

How many blacks from Milwaukee and Chicago city schools have they offered?
Look at all the rosters,all the years and the recruits. The data is available to everyone. What is they are half black ? What if they are Italian, Asian, parts of several or do they need to be from just public schools in those two cities and 90 % or above black ? I never worry about what color they are or where their from. Gard cares if they are a good person,can they help a team win. Have they been well coached.

Top Bottom