All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

per Marcus:

Q: What is the feeling on Chet Holmgren in 2021 recruiting? – Fred Mansfield (@tinheadfred)

A: Landing Holmgren got even tougher when the highly-skilled 7-footer from Minnehaha Academy took over the No. 1 ranking nationally this week. The Gophers are the hometown school and his father’s alma mater. Gonzaga established a strong relationship when signing his buddy and former high school teammate Jalen Suggs. But Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio State, and other programs are continuing to make Holmgren their top priority as well. You also can bet more blue bloods will come calling with offers this summer.

Go Gophers!!

Let's look at MN's past h
per Marcus:

Q: What is the feeling on Chet Holmgren in 2021 recruiting? – Fred Mansfield (@tinheadfred)

A: Landing Holmgren got even tougher when the highly-skilled 7-footer from Minnehaha Academy took over the No. 1 ranking nationally this week. The Gophers are the hometown school and his father’s alma mater. Gonzaga established a strong relationship when signing his buddy and former high school teammate Jalen Suggs. But Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio State, and other programs are continuing to make Holmgren their top priority as well. You also can bet more blue bloods will come calling with offers this summer.

Go Gophers!!
so, zed.

per Marcus:

Go Gophers!!
The first sentence of the answer is almost laughable. Like going from 2 to 1 overall actually makes it more difficult. Also forgot to mention it was only because the no 1 player reclassed to 2020.

per Axios Sports:

2021: Chet Holmgren

Position: C
  • Height: 7'0"
  • High school: Minnehaha Academy (Minneapolis)
  • College: Undecided
  • Fun fact: Remember when that kid crossed up Steph Curry with his own move? That was Chet.
  • Scout's take: Listed at center because he has a 7-foot-4-inch wingspan and dominates at the rim on defense, but his perimeter skills and ball-handling ability make him a position-less player on offense.
  • Player comparison: Kristaps Porziņģis

Go Gophers!!

The first sentence of the answer is almost laughable. Like going from 2 to 1 overall actually makes it more difficult. Also forgot to mention it was only because the no 1 player reclassed to 2020.
Lol yeah we have trouble getting top 60 players, but now he went from 2 to 1 so now were in trouble.

just from watching his highlight videos i get the feeling that he doesn't care for Treyton Thompson. I don't think hes coming here and I got a feeling (absolutely no intel) hes gonna go to Michigan.

The Unicorn. Kristaps is a solid comparison, at least physically.

just from watching his highlight videos i get the feeling that he doesn't care for Treyton Thompson. I don't think hes coming here and I got a feeling (absolutely no intel) hes gonna go to Michigan.
What do you see from the videos that make you think that?

What do you see from the videos that make you think that?
Probably talking about the highlights of when they played against each other. Chet was in his face a lot, could just be because he seems to an intense competitor.

Porzingis has 50 lbs on Chet and can bang down low. Don't see Chet playing with his back to the basket... Kevin Durant is a much better comparison.
Not when porzingis got in the league, hes gotten a lot bigger the last couple of seasons in dallas.

I'm just hoping we're in his Top Five so I can feel better when the Chet Holmgren Watch comes to a conclusion.

Probably talking about the highlights of when they played against each other. Chet was in his face a lot, could just be because he seems to an intense competitor.
He was screaming in the the kids face, clowning like hes just dunked on shawn bradley or something. The disrespect is palpable.

He was screaming in the the kids face, clowning like hes just dunked on shawn bradley or something. The disrespect is palpable.
I would not pay too much attention to what took place because we have no clue what exchanges took place on the court or social media.

Porzingis has 50 lbs on Chet and can bang down low. Don't see Chet playing with his back to the basket... Kevin Durant is a much better comparison.

Kristaps is 25. Chet is nothing like Durant, they are both just tall and skinny. Durant is a superior athlete to Chet.

Kristaps is 25. Chet is nothing like Durant, they are both just tall and skinny. Durant is a superior athlete to Chet.
You're smoking crack. Are you sure you know who Durant is? You must be confused since you obviously don't watch NBA.

Absolutely stunning what Chet can do but i will forever be cautious to compare high school players to a Durant , even in playing style or skills or physical strength.

Absolutely stunning what Chet can do but i will forever be cautious to compare high school players to a Durant , even in playing style or skills or physical strength.

I see no issues with comparing a high schooler's style of play to a pro's. It is a fact that both Chet and Durant are very tall, very skinny, and can dribble, shoot, and score surprisingly well from outside for their frame. That fact doesn't imply that they will have the same career. Style and talent aren't the same thing at all.

I see no issues with comparing a high schooler's style of play to a pro's. It is a fact that both Chet and Durant are very tall, very skinny, and can dribble, shoot, and score surprisingly well from outside for their frame. That fact doesn't imply that they will have the same career. Style and talent aren't the same thing at all.
Sounds good.

What pro players are we allowed to compare prospects to then, just non-all stars? What's the threshold for a pro player to not be allowed to be used for comparison??

I despise this type of arguement. Obviously no one is saying he is KD, just similar game.

What pro players are we allowed to compare prospects to then, just non-all stars? What's the threshold for a pro player to not be allowed to be used for comparison??

I despise this type of arguement. Obviously no one is saying he is KD, just similar game.
Whoever you want to. Just not how i do it, no big deal.

Holmgren is closer to a center than a pure wing while Durant - when he was in college - was closer to a shooting guard. That comp is silly.

The Porzingis one makes sense given both guys are rim-protectors and shooters.

My question about Holmgren - his height and length on defense is a great asset, but can you guard him with a shorter guy? Does that 7-foot measurement matter a whole lot in the sense that he'll abuse a smaller guy guarding him because the sense I get is that he wants to be a guard on that end of the floor.

And whoever had the comment on the sparring between him and Thompson, I'd believe it. Both guys seem like the types that opponents are going to hate because of the way they carry themselves. They've earned that - but there's undoubtedly a whole bunch of cockiness baked into both those guys.

Hadley from CDH handled him. Shorter, quicker and stronger. EP played him very well like Hadley EP used their 6’6 guys... my only knock with HaHa when they lost both to CDH and EP they got handled physically. You can talk coaching, XX’s and O ‘s and coaching but It came down to grit and HaHa got handled.

Solid analogy by BiggsOnasty

Hadley from CDH handled him. Shorter, quicker and stronger. EP played him very well like Hadley EP used their 6’6 guys... my only knock with HaHa when they lost both to CDH and EP they got handled physically. You can talk coaching, XX’s and O ‘s and coaching but It came down to grit and HaHa got handled.

Solid analogy by BiggsOnasty

Minnehaha wasn't full strength vs CDH, although they did lose to EP with Miller snd Lockett

Number one High School player in country is usually pretty athletic. The unicorn has an amazing handle for a seven footer and shooting skills. That combination along with being a great rim protector makes him unlike most any prospect that’s come along. It’s a matter of putting in the work and getting stronger and the sky’s the limit. I’d guess G league

Holmgren is closer to a center than a pure wing while Durant - when he was in college - was closer to a shooting guard. That comp is silly.

The Porzingis one makes sense given both guys are rim-protectors and shooters.

My question about Holmgren - his height and length on defense is a great asset, but can you guard him with a shorter guy? Does that 7-foot measurement matter a whole lot in the sense that he'll abuse a smaller guy guarding him because the sense I get is that he wants to be a guard on that end of the floor.

And whoever had the comment on the sparring between him and Thompson, I'd believe it. Both guys seem like the types that opponents are going to hate because of the way they carry themselves. They've earned that - but there's undoubtedly a whole bunch of cockiness baked into both those guys.

I think if you put a smaller guy on him he will either post them up or simply shoot over the top of him.

Top Bottom