All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Charley Walters in the PP says still looking like Creighton for Holmgren. Never know where that info. is from.

The NIL thing interests me from a Gophers perspective not because of Holmgren, but looking down the road to next year potentially keeping guys like Carr and Gach. I'd bet both are viewing this year as their last year of college hoops through the lens that they want to start making money (this has been documented in the case of Gach). Neither is likely a draft pick, but if they can get some sort of deal that at least competes with the deal they could secure in Europe or G-League, perhaps they'd be inclined to stick around for one more year in which case, the team would be very, very good.

Going to dream real quick:

Carr and Gach stick around and get NIL deals. Holmgren decides he wants a statue built for him (less and less statues means his would be even more majestic) and commits to Gophers.

Carr-Kalscheur-Gach-Holmgren-Robbins
Mashburn-Mutaf-Williams-Ihnen-Thompson

That's a second-weekend club in the 2022 tourney

That bench might hold their own against some team's starters. Fun to dream.

That bench might hold their own against some team's starters. Fun to dream.
I really think we might see this years team make a run into that second weekend if all guys around and we get a little hot. The potential is there

R32? I could probably live with that. I want S16
I want it too and can see it happening, i just do not call winning two games and a row a run. Win the conference, then we really have done something.

Assuming Holmgren is a "1-and-done," I will post this question?

How much does it benefit the Gopher Men's basketball program to have Holmgren for 1 year?

In other words, is it "worth" having a 1-and-done player?

On the plus side, you get a really talented player and probably bring more attention to the program. Maybe even get more high-profile kids to look at MN as a possible destination.

On the down side, you've only got him for one year. and then you have to fill that opening on the team for the following year - quite possibly with a less-talented player. And would the Gophers have a lineup around Holmgren that would compliment his skill set?

So, in order to be worth it to have a 1-and-done, what would the Gophers have to accomplish in his 1 year?

top-5 conf finish? better? make a big run in the B1G tournament? make a run in the NCAA tournament? - and how far - 2nd round, Sweet 16, higher?

thoughts.....
There is no downside.

It may not even be in place by then much less counting on huge financial windfalls during a very tumultuous period. Wr can brag all we want about our fortune 500 companies. they will not match the bids of other far more successful companies not even located here . Plus companies that even want to do this will be inclined to get the most by supporting the largest brands, the ones that draw the most TV eyes. G league is doing deals for 400-500,000 and kids will just work on their games, without limits on practice. Many top players have zero interest in school.
You may be right. Like I said it is very tough to speculate. Will we play this season? ...pretty impactful if we don't. What effect will that have? What are rules really going to be for money? How easily will they be broken? If G league is paying $500k it seems likely a million is a starting point...it's gonna get bid up. But again, too many unknowns.

per Shama:

Minnehaha’s Chet Holmgren, per some authorities the No. 1 prep basketball player in the national class of 2021, lists his top seven college possibilities as Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio State. If things follow the norm, Minnesota and Big Ten rivals Michigan and Ohio State won’t land the athletic 7-foot Holmgren whose father, David, was a Gopher reserve from 1984-1988.

Minnesota’s elite preps usually haven’t chosen the Gophers for several years now, with Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu being exceptions. Dawson Garcia, Matthew Hurt, Tyus and Tre Jones, Gary Trent Jr. and Kerwin Walton are among star players who decided to play elsewhere, but not for Big Ten programs. (Wisconsin is the outlier here attracting both quality and role players from Minnesota for decades, but with the Holmgren family background it’s difficult to see Chet becoming a Badger).

With Minnesota coach Richard Pitino on the hot seat, it’s probable rival recruiters will suggest it should be an easy choice to play at their programs where the future leadership is more certain.

Go Gophers!!

MHA I think, Spaulding has a beef with catholics it seems, something about the big east that doesn't sit right with him
not at all. I do like to point out tho that if the Big East is cherry picking your state you are now battling 2 fronts. the BT and the BE. not a good position to be in.

per Shama:

Minnehaha’s Chet Holmgren, per some authorities the No. 1 prep basketball player in the national class of 2021, lists his top seven college possibilities as Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio State. If things follow the norm, Minnesota and Big Ten rivals Michigan and Ohio State won’t land the athletic 7-foot Holmgren whose father, David, was a Gopher reserve from 1984-1988.

Minnesota’s elite preps usually haven’t chosen the Gophers for several years now, with Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu being exceptions. Dawson Garcia, Matthew Hurt, Tyus and Tre Jones, Gary Trent Jr. and Kerwin Walton are among star players who decided to play elsewhere, but not for Big Ten programs. (Wisconsin is the outlier here attracting both quality and role players from Minnesota for decades, but with the Holmgren family background it’s difficult to see Chet becoming a Badger).

With Minnesota coach Richard Pitino on the hot seat, it’s probable rival recruiters will suggest it should be an easy choice to play at their programs where the future leadership is more certain.

Go Gophers!!

None of his examples went to Wisconsin ?, and two of eight on “elite” preps is not awful in today’s game.

Who is the last “elite” MN prep to sign at Wisconsin? Let’s say top 40... I wouldn’t even include Walton in the elite category.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!
I would think if he got chet his future would not be uncertain. Chet has got to know that.

None of his examples went to Wisconsin ?, and two of eight on “elite” preps is not awful in today’s game.

Who is the last “elite” MN prep to sign at Wisconsin? Let’s say top 40... I wouldn’t even include Walton in the elite category.
Exactly. Furthermore not a single player listed won a regular season conference title ! Only Tyus won a national title. People are wrapped up in highly rated local kids. Find guys that you can build a team with that wins.

Top Bottom