All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

If he gets even better as the next year goes on and he is a certain one and done why not go directly into the G League ?
His one year in college would consist of 12 credits the first semester and mostly basket ball the second.

If he gets even better as the next year goes on and he is a certain one and done why not go directly into the G League ?
His one year in college would consist of 12 credits the first semester and mostly basket ball the second.
Certainly a option.

Georgetown? That'd actually be kind of cool. Has MN ever had a prep kid play at G-Town?
Yeah that would be really cool! Have to think about how I might attempt not good things if he went to Georgetown. Georgetown over Minnesota? Really? There were like 3 transfers and other stuff going on there. I'm guessing they are a no! That brings us to the final 6. Come on one time!

Joke about whatever you want, they are fond of winning no matter what color someone is or where they are from. Me personally i do not make jokes about race.
I don’t joke about it. Just stating facts. Cruel facts that keep our kids of color from a big ten education.

I don’t joke about it. Just stating facts. Cruel facts that keep our kids of color from a big ten education.
Whites in Wisconsin have a pretty general racist hatred for, and look at the blacks in Milwaukee as some third world country attached to their tranquil state.

What facts. Show the data, who qualified, who was offered, who got in, where were they from. Jordan and Kam , were they kept from getting a education. What do you mean ours ? What exactly did you do for black kids from the city. Again, show me where they kept kids of color from getting a Big 10 education. That is racist to suggest that they should recruit them because they are colored. As a black man i resent like hell this kind of talk. You have zero evidence .

Whites in Wisconsin have a pretty general racist hatred for, and look at the blacks in Milwaukee as some third world country attached to their tranquil state.
As a black man i have not noticed any greater level there. Far more concerned over the real estate laws that have made and kept Minneapolis the most segregated of any city. The U does not even rank high for diversity.

As a black man i have not noticed any greater level there. Far more concerned over the real estate laws that have made and kept Minneapolis the most segregated of any city. The U does not even rank high for diversity.
Any greater level there ... than what? Than MN?

Minn is a very racist state. Same as Wisc, Iowa, Dakotas, etc. Maybe "polite" racism, but there nonetheless. Those living now will resist that label with all their might, even though they won't lift a finger to actually help black people. But maybe their kids and grandkids will finally "get it".

nocountry2.jpeg

If he does come out and say top 3, that means he has narrowed his college choices down to a top 2.

If one accepts as true most self identified Republicans and especially Trump voters have negative feelings about minorities before anyone in MN throws stones at other states for racist people look at a MN county by county election map from 2020 and notice a sea of Red excepting metro areas.
The same thing also holds for WI and most states in the Mid West.

If one accepts as true most self identified Republicans and especially Trump voters have negative feelings about minorities before anyone in MN throws stones at other states for racist people look at a MN county by county election map from 2020 and notice a sea of Red excepting metro areas.

Most repubs have negative feelings about minorities? Not true.

Remember, by the time Chet enrolls, NIL will be the law of the land. Why go G-League, when he can come to Minnesota, be around more Fortune 500 companies that most states can offer, sell 1,000,000 Chet jerseys and another 1,000,000 8x10 autographed glossy photos and be the BMOC. Seems like a better life than $25k on a bus in the G-league.

False

Assuming Holmgren is a "1-and-done," I will post this question?

How much does it benefit the Gopher Men's basketball program to have Holmgren for 1 year?

In other words, is it "worth" having a 1-and-done player?

On the plus side, you get a really talented player and probably bring more attention to the program. Maybe even get more high-profile kids to look at MN as a possible destination.

On the down side, you've only got him for one year. and then you have to fill that opening on the team for the following year - quite possibly with a less-talented player. And would the Gophers have a lineup around Holmgren that would compliment his skill set?

So, in order to be worth it to have a 1-and-done, what would the Gophers have to accomplish in his 1 year?

top-5 conf finish? better? make a big run in the B1G tournament? make a run in the NCAA tournament? - and how far - 2nd round, Sweet 16, higher?

thoughts.....

Polling shows that it is true.

Assuming Holmgren is a "1-and-done," I will post this question?

How much does it benefit the Gopher Men's basketball program to have Holmgren for 1 year?

In other words, is it "worth" having a 1-and-done player?

On the plus side, you get a really talented player and probably bring more attention to the program. Maybe even get more high-profile kids to look at MN as a possible destination.

On the down side, you've only got him for one year. and then you have to fill that opening on the team for the following year - quite possibly with a less-talented player. And would the Gophers have a lineup around Holmgren that would compliment his skill set?

So, in order to be worth it to have a 1-and-done, what would the Gophers have to accomplish in his 1 year?

top-5 conf finish? better? make a big run in the B1G tournament? make a run in the NCAA tournament? - and how far - 2nd round, Sweet 16, higher?

thoughts.....
The big boys seem to do ok with 1 and done. It would be worth it.

Huge benefit to a program. Hopefully it would help the perception of the program besides mean more wins. In regards to elite prospects but also to keeping more local kids. I think Chet will probably pass on college and start playing for money immediately.

Gota believe if Chet does go to MN there will be another bigtime recruit that sings here also. Who ??

I would accept Holmgren with open arms. If he stays one year, he stays one year. Going forward more and more guys are going to transfer. Rosters are going to be changing from year to year far more frequently.
One unknown mentioned by VolitileGopher. The special players may be able to make a $ million dollars as college freshman. Far more than the G League.
College recruiting is going to be the wild wild west. Throw in what happens if there is no season because of covid? Predicting the future right now is more difficult than ever. Take the bird in hand if you can get Holmgren. Don't look back, look forward.

I would accept Holmgren with open arms. If he stays one year, he stays one year. Going forward more and more guys are going to transfer. Rosters are going to be changing from year to year far more frequently.
One unknown mentioned by VolitileGopher. The special players may be able to make a $ million dollars as college freshman. Far more than the G League.
College recruiting is going to be the wild wild west. Throw in what happens if there is no season because of covid? Predicting the future right now is more difficult than ever. Take the bird in hand if you can get Holmgren. Don't look back, look forward.
There will not be a freshman that makes a million dollars his freshman year.

There will not be a freshman that makes a million dollars his freshman year.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/sports/ncaabasketball/ncaa-athlete-endorsements.html
Maybe not at Minnesota. But, we do have several Fortune 500 companies. I don't know if we have any Rod Wallace boosters for basketball. Most all the people I know are older but Lou Nanne is a master at brokering deals along with Harvey MacKay. Najarian is another name capable of putting a package together for somebody.
Think Oregon, Arkansas, Oklahoma St, Notre Dame etc are not going to have a million dollar freshman? Only if the rules prohibit it. My guess is it would be hard to limit by law or enforce any ceilings of money earned, if in fact guys are approved to be paid.
My guess is there will be bidding involved. It is an ugly idea. It can't help but be shady.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/29/sports/ncaabasketball/ncaa-athlete-endorsements.html
Maybe not at Minnesota. But, we do have several Fortune 500 companies. I don't know if we have any Rod Wallace boosters for basketball. Most all the people I know are older but Lou Nanne is a master at brokering deals along with Harvey MacKay. Najarian is another name capable of putting a package together for somebody.
Think Oregon, Arkansas, Oklahoma St, Notre Dame etc are not going to have a million dollar freshman? Only if the rules prohibit it. My guess is it would be hard to limit by law or enforce any ceilings of money earned, if in fact guys are approved to be paid.
My guess is there will be bidding involved. It is an ugly idea. It can't help but be shady.
It may not even be in place by then much less counting on huge financial windfalls during a very tumultuous period. Wr can brag all we want about our fortune 500 companies. they will not match the bids of other far more successful companies not even located here . Plus companies that even want to do this will be inclined to get the most by supporting the largest brands, the ones that draw the most TV eyes. G league is doing deals for 400-500,000 and kids will just work on their games, without limits on practice. Many top players have zero interest in school.

The NIL thing interests me from a Gophers perspective not because of Holmgren, but looking down the road to next year potentially keeping guys like Carr and Gach. I'd bet both are viewing this year as their last year of college hoops through the lens that they want to start making money (this has been documented in the case of Gach). Neither is likely a draft pick, but if they can get some sort of deal that at least competes with the deal they could secure in Europe or G-League, perhaps they'd be inclined to stick around for one more year in which case, the team would be very, very good.

Going to dream real quick:

Carr and Gach stick around and get NIL deals. Holmgren decides he wants a statue built for him (less and less statues means his would be even more majestic) and commits to Gophers.

Carr-Kalscheur-Gach-Holmgren-Robbins
Mashburn-Mutaf-Williams-Ihnen-Thompson

That's a second-weekend club in the 2022 tourney

Top Bottom