All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

So is that how much Duke paid him? Wow, did realize it was that much.
You realized it was that much ! Wow, reading comprehension is a great thing. They did not pay him, study up on increasing personal brand. Are you still mad at Duke ? Beat them, that will help. Shoe guys love all that Duke exposure and i am not talking about the little scum runners, i am talking about the head guys at Nike and Addidas. They will always value the kids that get the most exposure more.

You realized it was that much ! Wow, reading comprehension is a great thing. They did not pay him, study up on increasing personal brand. Are you still mad at Duke ? Beat them, that will help. Shoe guys love all that Duke exposure and i am not talking about the little scum runners, i am talking about the head guys at Nike and Addidas. They will always value the kids that get the most exposure more.

Duke paid him by proxy.

per Shama:

Chet Holmgren, the five-star basketball player at Minnehaha Academy who is among the most coveted college recruits in the country for the class of 2021, lives in the Hopkins school district but Novak said there has never been discussion about him playing for the Royals. The 7-foot Holmgren has a sister, Alexandra Holmgren, who is over 6-foot-5 and played volleyball for the Royals last season as a sophomore.

Go Gophers!!

Come on Built, it was play on the fact that his family got paid. So cheating pays off.

The scum that promote Duke give it more exposure on the networks even though it is built on cheating. The head of Nike and Addias could stop the payoffs in a heartbeat. They chose to play lip service while their employees or representatives Pay out money, so they enable it to happen. It is not a matter of being mad at Duke, it is not turning a blind eye to what they do just because they may play entertaining basketball. All of you that support these programs by watching and cheering for the team or players allow them to do what they do. The only way things will change is if fans stop rewarding these teams.

You must know that as a huge fan with a long history of Tony Bennett that i despise Duke and how they go about their business. But it has made it all the sweeter when UVA wins the conference the year of Zion and then wins the national title . It is a whole bunch of recruits that love Duke and that brand, not just Zion. I do not cheer for Duke but they have had several really good kids not on the take.

You must know that as a huge fan with a long history of Tony Bennett that i despise Duke and how they go about their business. But it has made it all the sweeter when UVA wins the conference the year of Zion and then wins the national title . It is a whole bunch of recruits that love Duke and that brand, not just Zion. I do not cheer for Duke but they have had several really good kids not on the take.
Well I would imagine not everyone gets a bag of money! Alot of them do and alot of them dont.

If one player takes the money I would say that all players in effect take the money. There success was directly attributed to Zion. It is like saying I only cleaned the guns for Capone.... I didn’t shoot anyone. They all know it is happening and they took advantage of the cheating. They are all cheaters. Players of good character will not have anything to do with people like that.

If one player takes the money I would say that all players in effect take the money. There success was directly attributed to Zion. It is like saying I only cleaned the guns for Capone.... I didn’t shoot anyone. They all know it is happening and they took advantage of the cheating. They are all cheaters. Players of good character will not have anything to do with people like that.
Understand your take. My thought is Grant Hill did not take money and did not know anyone who did, Same for Jay Williams, Reddick, Ferry, Dunleavy, I do not through everyone under the bus just because Voshon got cash and they may or not have known.

They then profess to be doing things the right way.

They then profess to be doing things the right way.
They simply have poor ethics and will do anything to win. I have seen it in hundreds of amateur golf tournaments, these kinds of people put their club down behind the ball and press down to improve their lie, there is not a camera to catch them but they broke a rule and if you do not call them on it you have not protected the field.

Understand your take. My thought is Grant Hill did not take money and did not know anyone who did, Same for Jay Williams, Reddick, Ferry, Dunleavy, I do not through everyone under the bus just because Voshon got cash and they may or not have known.
Voshon got cash? I’ve never heard that before.

I thought his discretions were academic related?

Players on that team had talked about it at the time. Plus read Clems violations.
I didnt see in the report about Voshon getting cash. Could have maybe missed it. All I found on the subject of voshon getting paid was a report by mitch albom saying that voshon knew ed martin.

I didnt see in the report about Voshon getting cash. Could have maybe missed it. All I found on the subject of voshon getting paid was a report by mitch albom saying that voshon knew ed martin.
Voshon was witnessed getting cash at a team function i attended, when asked why he needed 300 he said it was for getting to a family funeral. What do you think Clem Paid James and Jackson to get here and stay eligible . Then He lied.

Voshon was witnessed getting cash at a team function i attended, when asked why he needed 300 he said it was for getting to a family funeral. What do you think Clem Paid James and Jackson to get here and stay eligible . Then He lied.
Also dont see anything about james or jackson being paid. One article even talks about jackson generating millions of dollars for UofM but not a single player ever received a dime. Every article and the report just talks about paying Jan $3,000.

Also dont see anything about james or jackson being paid. One article even talks about jackson generating millions of dollars for UofM but not a single player ever received a dime. Every article and the report just talks about paying Jan $3,000.
Understood that it is not in the report and Dorhman could not provide proof but he talked about it on the radio years later. Fyi, i am not against funeral money or travel which are now ok. But it was a disgusting running joke among boosters what Clem was doing.

Once again i must apologize to the board for posting in the wrong thread.

247 has gophs in top 4....cannot recall a top 2-3 rated kid not having a Duke or Kentucky offer by June prior to his senior season.

247 has gophs in top 4....cannot recall a top 2-3 rated kid not having a Duke or Kentucky offer by June prior to his senior season.

Maybe he would if they would have been able to see him play in May. Hopefully they don't offer though.

70% of the top 10 programs over the last decade have not offered. Some of them felt from the start that they could not get him that he was strongly aligned with a program. Others may feel that he will be offered the high end of G league contract and others that may read him ranked as the 2nd best prospect but not the 2nd best player for their team. He is a absolute unicorn .

Haven’t popped into this topic in a while... early on there were some comments pointing out Chet’s build and the work he has to do to put on some muscle. I wonder whether G league or a year in college would benefit his physical growth more? Maybe a wash?

Haven’t popped into this topic in a while... early on there were some comments pointing out Chet’s build and the work he has to do to put on some muscle. I wonder whether G league or a year in college would benefit his physical growth more? Maybe a wash?

Great question. It really will depend what the g league is offering as part of their developmentally process. Time wise it's a no brainer that the G league would be better, but will he get access to NBA level strength guys?

Last edited:

Greatness question. It really will depend what the g league is offering as part of their developmentally process. Time wise it's a no brainer that the G league would be better, but will he get access to NBA level strength guys?
Rahim truly cares about the right kids picking the right place. His own kid is on a long track with different goals. The kids that get g league money will have a tremendous amount of time devoted to basketball and training far beyond the time limits college kids have. No idea what the Holmgrens priorities are.

Great question. It really will depend what the g league is offering as part of their developmentally process. Time wise it's a no brainer that the G league would be better, but will he get access to NBA level strength guys?
Right. Access to more time and better trainers would be a huge perk. I do remember reading an article years ago documenting injuries of one and dones, and the ultimate conclusion was that 18 year olds weren’t ready to jump into the grind of the NBA. People are a lot smarter now than in the early 2000s, but I wonder how some 18 year olds would fair despite their talent. I suppose playing against Iowa’s center wouldn’t be any easier on the body.

If Chet Holmgren spends much time banging with centers...he probably picked the wrong team.

I know the rush is to the NBA but it seems he could physically mature in the best environment at the
U of M's Land O Lakes training table. True with a wink.

per Shama:

No high school player from the state will be the object of more attention next winter than Minnehaha Academy 7-footer Chet Holmgren, who both ESPN and 247Sports rank as the No. 2 prep player nationally in the class of 2021. Despite his size, he has extraordinary versatility including ball handling. Holmgren’s shooting and shot blocking are also among his most noticeable skills.

Kline refers to him as unique. “He’s just a phenomenal player and he’s only going to get better,” Kline said.

Chet weighs less than 200 pounds and is similar in size to his father David Holmgren who played four seasons as a reserve for the Gophers from 1984-1988. “He hadn’t really filled out yet when I had him,” said Jim Dutcher, who coached David his first two seasons.

A scholarship player, David played in 57 games, starting three times during his Gopher career. He averaged 1 point and .08 rebounds per game in limited minutes during at Minnesota after being a standout center at Prior Lake High School.

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

No high school player from the state will be the object of more attention next winter than Minnehaha Academy 7-footer Chet Holmgren, who both ESPN and 247Sports rank as the No. 2 prep player nationally in the class of 2021. Despite his size, he has extraordinary versatility including ball handling. Holmgren’s shooting and shot blocking are also among his most noticeable skills.

Kline refers to him as unique. “He’s just a phenomenal player and he’s only going to get better,” Kline said.

Chet weighs less than 200 pounds and is similar in size to his father David Holmgren who played four seasons as a reserve for the Gophers from 1984-1988. “He hadn’t really filled out yet when I had him,” said Jim Dutcher, who coached David his first two seasons.

A scholarship player, David played in 57 games, starting three times during his Gopher career. He averaged 1 point and .08 rebounds per game in limited minutes during at Minnesota after being a standout center at Prior Lake High School.

Go Gophers!!
great shot blocker who wants to avoid the paint at the next level

Top Bottom