All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

the older i get, and the more of these brutal 2 week to month-long cold snaps i go thru, the less i can fault some 18 year old kid choosing to go anywhere in the country to go to college, socialize, and play basketball.
I mean, Spokane, nor Madison or Milwaukee for that matter, aren't warm either.

But yeah, if you're going to have to keep suffering through them, at least go somewhere that cares enough about the MBB program to hire a good coach.

Last edited:

I mean, Spokane, nor Madison or Milwaukee for that matter, are warm either.

But yeah, if you're going to have to keep suffering through them, at least go somewhere that cares enough about the MBB program to hire a good coach.
Right...I hope these kids have someone telling them that they have their whole lives to live somewhere warm when they're multi millionaire NBA players. If you go somewhere for one year of college because its "warm" and the coach and situation mess you up as a player it can cost you a career.

If one year with a bad coach costs you your career you don't have the drive to be an NBA star
Might be an extreme example, but my point stands...if you're going to college based on the weather as a top 5 recruit you have some bad people around you giving advice.

Might be an extreme example, but my point stands...if you're going to college based on the weather as a top 5 recruit you have some bad people around you giving advice.
Let's be honest! A top 2 recruit in nation can do anything he wants. If Holmgren wants to go to hawaii and play all the power to him. Doesnt sound like a career buster to me.

Right...I hope these kids have someone telling them that they have their whole lives to live somewhere warm when they're multi millionaire NBA players. If you go somewhere for one year of college because its "warm" and the coach and situation mess you up as a player it can cost you a career.
Guys as talented as Chet, it's not going to matter what school he goes to. And guess what? You really only get one shot to live the full college experience. So if someone was going to pay all your expenses to hoop, you'd choose to freeze your ass off vs. playing somewhere like UCLA or Texas or Florida? Take your homer glasses off

Guys as talented as Chet, it's not going to matter what school he goes to. And guess what? You really only get one shot to live the full college experience. So if someone was going to pay all your expenses to hoop, you'd choose to freeze your ass off vs. playing somewhere like UCLA or Texas or Florida? Take your homer glasses off
Haha homer glasses? Did i say he's dumb for not coming here? I said he's dumb if he's choosing a college based only on the weather in that city. Jeez put your anything glasses on and learn to read pal

Why go to school for one year instead of going directly to the G League?
To be the BMOC for a year?
It clearly is not to further his education

Better for his brand. College basketball gets way more exposure than the G League. Zion became a household name in a year. No one watched the G league. It isn’t on CBS, ESPN, etc. Way different than just basketball development which who knows which is better for each player.
Chet is unique. We’ll see a sports center montage of him blocking 13 shots and making 5 3s against directional State. Chet could be a star without ever being great. Adds value. Boosts stock. Makes money.

Did he pick an option that isn't the Gophers yet?

How much longer?

The G-League is like going to Siberia.

He's how old? I mean no offense to him by this, but for all we know he might be going to the school for 1 year whos jersey color scheme he thinks looks best on his skin tone. WTF knows what a kid is thinking with so much at his fingertips at that age.

Chet and the RedHawks play on ESPNU tomorrow vs Will Tschetter’s stewartville squad.

Original opponent (Houston High—Tennessee) unable to make the trip due to snow in Tennessee. Mike Miller coaches that squad.

Chet and the RedHawks play on ESPNU tomorrow vs Will Tschetter’s stewartville squad.

Original opponent (Houston High—Tennessee) unable to make the trip due to snow in Tennessee. Mike Miller coaches that squad.

Minne should roll i would expect. Stewartville lost to Caledonia sans King who is out for the year. Will be interesting to watch the D1 recruits.

Minne should roll i would expect. Stewartville lost to Caledonia sans King who is out for the year. Will be interesting to watch the D1 recruits.

Oh yeah. I don’t expect it to be a good game at all. Curious to watch Tschetter.

King is awesome. Wish he was healthy.

Do the Gophers really have a chance for him? I know we recruited two centers so he could play wing, which clearly was a request from Chets camp.

Chet would give Pitino a big boost as we would have a top 10 team all year with Chet and a team that could be final four. Yes, I believe we could be a final four team with Chet.

Do the Gophers really have a chance for him? I know we recruited two centers so he could play wing, which clearly was a request from Chets camp.

Chet would give Pitino a big boost as we would have a top 10 team all year with Chet and a team that could be final four. Yes, I believe we could be a final four team with Chet.
No

I would say gophs and tommies have about the same probabilty of landing holmgren.

There's always a chance, I mean, someone had to win the Powerball. I give us the same probability of landing Chet.

Maybe maybe with a new (exciting) coach our odds could improve, but even then, I'd be shocked.

Shama chimes in:

There was speculation on social media and elsewhere last week that Minnehaha Academy 7-footer Chet Holmgren, the nation’s most coveted prep player in the class of 2021, will announce his college choice within days. However, a source close to Holmgren texted this message yesterday, “No announcement.”

Holmgren’s list of seven schools he is considering hasn’t publicly changed for months but Gonzaga is thought to be the favorite as the college destination for the versatile superstar. The Zags are the nation’s No. 1 team and a pedigree program with star power including point guard Jalen Suggs, a former teammate of Holmgren’s at the Academy. Suggs, though, won’t be in Spokane next season after becoming one of the early selections in the NBA Draft.

The schools on Holmgren’s list of seven announced last year are Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio State.

The Gophers? Their chances are probably similar to a Minnesota snowman not melting in April. Decades of mediocrity, troubled coaching tenures, inability to attract the state’s best prep players and fan apathy are “warts” on the maroon and gold sales pitch.

But that’s not to say it makes no sense for Holmgren not to play for the hometown team. Signing on with the Gophers could push several of the right buttons for the program and the player.

Go Gophers!!

I certainly wouldn't want to put a young lifetime's worth of my hard work and dedication into Richard Pitino's hands, and I won't fault Chet for feeling the same way when he doesn't come here.

Top Bottom