All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

I’d think if Robbins keeps playing well, he won’t be here next year. There would be no reason to stay...he’s our leading 3 point shooter, making free throws, blocking shots, showing versatility....why stay if the NBA is your dream? Pretty hard to go much higher.
He still has a lot he could improve on at the college level. Couple big things would be being able to have a full offseason with the strength staff and adding muscle as well as improving quickness/agility so he can better guard ball screens.

Didn't sound like Aligbe was seriously considering the Gophers in his interview with Doogie last week. There is time though, so hoping that changes, but as Ryan James keeps pointing out, the long-term recruitments with Pitino typically haven't yielded good results vs. his strong ability to go out and get a guy on short notice either via the portal or as a spring signee.
I think he is down the list a ways as far as wing priorities go for the Gophers as well. Heide, DWS, and Carrington all seem like higher priorities and that could be because of the feel they've gotten back from Prince too I don't know.

I’d think if Robbins keeps playing well, he won’t be here next year. There would be no reason to stay...he’s our leading 3 point shooter, making free throws, blocking shots, showing versatility....why stay if the NBA is your dream? Pretty hard to go much higher.
Neither he or Carr are likely 1st round picks. Doesn't mean they can't go anyway, but we tend to over-estimate their draft stock.

Neither he or Carr are likely 1st round picks. Doesn't mean they can't go anyway, but we tend to over-estimate their draft stock.
I don’t check them often but I’ve yet to see Carr listed on any mock draft even in the 2nd round.

Did Chet announce he's going to Gonzaga yet?

If not , any idea when he'll make an announcement as to the date & time of when he'll make the official announcement that he's going to Gonzaga?

Probably the best thing he can do, is to string things out as long as humanely possible. I can't see any possible downside in that, for him.

Are we that convinced he's going to Gonzaga?

Minnesota could be really, REALLY good next year with Chet.

PG: Mashburn
SG: Kalesheur
SF: Gach
PF: Chet
C: Robbins

or

PG: Carr
SG: Chet
PF: Johnson

Gonzaga is going to lose 3 starters, maybe 4. The cupboard will not be as full as the Gophers.

I mean, how many National Players of the Week will the Zags have coming back?

Minnesota could be really, REALLY good next year with Chet.

PG: Mashburn
SG: Kalesheur
PF: Chet

or

PG: Carr
SG: Chet
PF: Johnson

Gonzaga is going to lose 3 starters, maybe 4. The cupboard will not be as full as the Gophers.

I mean, how many National Players of the Week will the Zags have coming back?
It hasn't really seemed to matter in the past how well the gophers have done and what its meant for incoming recruits. We could have been stacked like crazy in years past with any of the in state guys joining Mason, Murphy, Coffey, Oturu, Hollins', etc. over the last half decade +

You're totally right that we could be a top 5 team in the country all year if he comes here. I just don't think it will happen.

It hasn't really seemed to matter in the past how well the gophers have done and what its meant for incoming recruits. We could have been stacked like crazy in years past with any of the in state guys joining Mason, Murphy, Coffey, Oturu, Hollins', etc. over the last half decade +

You're totally right that we could be a top 5 team in the country all year if he comes here. I just don't think it will happen.

Yeah, along with ingame coaching, Pitino has also done a good job coaching up and getting the most out of players he gets. Develops players well. The part where he needs to improve is high school recruiting. Fortunately he has done a good job in the transfer market.

Last edited:

Yeah, Pitino has done a good job coaching up and getting the most out of players he gets. Develops players well. The part where he needs to improve is high school recruiting. Fortunately he has done a good job in the transfer market.
Yep, I've said it before...Pitino's problem isn't recruiting. Transfers, high school, whatever. He has flaws elsewhere, but recruiting is fine in my opinion.

Yep, I've said it before...Pitino's problem isn't recruiting. Transfers, high school, whatever. He has flaws elsewhere, but recruiting is fine in my opinion.

I mean some of it is recruiting. If he had better players he'd have more wins.

I mean some of it is recruiting. If he had better players he'd have more wins.
Well of course but we can't really expect him to bring in 4 top 50 players every year. I mean some will say that's a settling comment and I'm not a true fan and blah blah blah but reality is it won't happen. Outside of his first few classes Pitino has brought in multiple 4 star guys as well as 3 star guys like Mason, Murphy, McBrayer that were very good contributors. He's brought in good transfers especially recently.

Like I said, the guy is still flawed, but I think most coaches would be very happy with the quality of talent on our team most years.

Well of course but we can't really expect him to bring in 4 top 50 players every year. I mean some will say that's a settling comment and I'm not a true fan and blah blah blah but reality is it won't happen. Outside of his first few classes Pitino has brought in multiple 4 star guys as well as 3 star guys like Mason, Murphy, McBrayer that were very good contributors. He's brought in good transfers especially recently.

Like I said, the guy is still flawed, but I think most coaches would be very happy with the quality of talent on our team most years.
I guess that most fans would exchange the number of times he's landed highly-rated recruits/transfers for more wins ..... if that were a thing that was possible. But who knows if it is, for him.

For a different coach, who does things differently, it may be.

Fair point. I think he is a solid enough recruiter and I really like Pitino. If I had neighbors, I'd want him to be my neighbor. Seems like a dude who would be a blast to drink beers with.

I want to see sustained success. This year is awesome. I'm not even asking for a consistent top 10 team. I'd like to see them finish with a .500 or better record in the conference consistently. Challenge for a title, finish top 4, etc. Make the tourney multiple years in a row!!! I want Pitino to be that guy but he has to do it.

Fair point. I think he is a solid enough recruiter and I really like Pitino. If I had neighbors, I'd want him to be my neighbor. Seems like a dude who would be a blast to drink beers with.

I want to see sustained success. This year is awesome. I'm not even asking for a consistent top 10 team. I'd like to see them finish with a .500 or better record in the conference consistently. Challenge for a title, finish top 4, etc. Make the tourney multiple years in a row!!! I want Pitino to be that guy but he has to do it.
Agree with all these points. I really like listening to Pitino talk. I like his pressers and his insight into his opponents and his own team. Just talking about their sports I'd listen to Pitino talk 100 out of 100 times over Fleck. This year may help some...may give him some more confidence in his game planning and scouting. If he can improve in getting his guys to make in game adjustments or fight back when they hit a bump I think he could have some long term success here.

Just talking about their sports I'd listen to Pitino talk 100 out of 100 times over Fleck.
Your Pitino man-crush is stronger than your Fleck man-crush. Hmmmm...must be the hair.

I don't know, listening to Fleck makes me want to exercise. Listening to Pitino makes me want to laugh, in a good way! He's funny! You could do a lot worse than these guys.

Yes. 5 crystal ball picks with HIGH confidence have come in from the most plugged in guys for 247sports in the past 2 weeks. That typically indicates there is solid information there that the general public doesn't know about.

He also doesn't like/follow/engage with anything pertaining to Gopher basketball or any of their players on twitter. He follows almost the entire Gonzaga team, conversely. I think this one is pretty easy to see.

Yes. 5 crystal ball picks with HIGH confidence have come in from the most plugged in guys for 247sports in the past 2 weeks. That typically indicates there is solid information there that the general public doesn't know about.

He also doesn't like/follow/engage with anything pertaining to Gopher basketball or any of their players on twitter. He follows almost the entire Gonzaga team, conversely. I think this one is pretty easy to see.
Well, I'm unfollowing him.

oh, wait, I don't follow him, I don't follow anybody, I have a job!

Your Pitino man-crush is stronger than your Fleck man-crush. Hmmmm...must be the hair.

I don't know, listening to Fleck makes me want to exercise. Listening to Pitino makes me want to laugh, in a good way! He's funny! You could do a lot worse than these guys.
Listening to Fleck SPEAK is awesome. Listening to Fleck talk football is annoying. I want to know about the upcoming game, or past game. I don't want to hear rambled on sentences about culture and spiritual BS when we're ready to play Wisconsin. I want to know what we're going to do to beat them on the field. What football wise is working and what isn't. What we're seeing from players and how practice is going etc.

Pitino does this really well. I feel like I know the guys on the team and know what to expect when I watch a game. With Fleck I feel like I'm in church half the time.

I think the appeal of Gonzaga is there will be way less pressure compared to other places yet they will still do well in the tourney. They will stroll to their conference championship and are away from the stress that comes with large markets and their media. Perfect for someone who wants to work on perfecting his game for the next level rather than focusing energy on how to battle through and win tough college games.

I think the appeal of Gonzaga is there will be way less pressure compared to other places yet they will still do well in the tourney. They will stroll to their conference championship and are away from the stress that comes with large markets and their media. Perfect for someone who wants to work on perfecting his game for the next level rather than focusing energy on how to battle through and win tough college games.
Chet does not shy away from pressure. Besides , there is very low pressure here. Gopher hoops is not the top dog. There is like 2 beat writers.And Gonzaga is a national brand.

Chet does not shy away from pressure. Besides , there is very low pressure here. Gopher hoops is not the top dog. There is like 2 beat writers.And Gonzaga is a national brand.
Yes, and Spokane is a nice place to go to school. We have heard the sales pitch before..... lol...

And they play at least 20 cupcakes this season. It doesn't matter how many reporters are covering you when most of your schedule is with teams like:

Tarelton
Southern
N Arizona (twice)
Idaho
NW State (twice)
Dixie State
San Francisco (twice)
Pepperdine (twice)
Portland
Pacific
Santa Clara
San Diego (twice)
etc....

Wow, that is a grueling schedule!
Makes the B1G look like the dream team...

There was a time when it was thought that if you want to be the best, you need to compete with the best. I guess not....

Top Bottom