All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Yes, and Spokane is a nice place to go to school. We have heard the sales pitch before..... lol...

And they play at least 20 cupcakes this season. It doesn't matter how many reporters are covering you when most of your schedule is with teams like:

Tarelton
Southern
N Arizona (twice)
Idaho
NW State (twice)
Dixie State
San Francisco (twice)
Pepperdine (twice)
Portland
Pacific
Santa Clara
San Diego (twice)
etc....

Wow, that is a grueling schedule!
Makes the B1G look like the dream team...

There was a time when it was thought that if you want to be the best, you need to compete with the best. I guess not....
Not my sales pitch but what Chet could be thinking. Better coach, better program, better shot at a final 4, not a meat grinder of a schedule but cool road trips and awesome non con. What if Chet likes Few more and knows he is a better coach, what if he likes being the only game in town. Branding matters to these kids, maybe he hates winters like Minnesota, the culture of Gonzaga. He has talked and listened to other elite players, coaches, what of USA basketball experiences ? I can make a list that is pro Minnesota no problem. They also have a fair amount of players in the NBA. Who knows. Hell, i am in the minority of thinking he will pick here but i have zero information. The only think i know is there are coaches at elite programs who did not even offer him because they said it was obvious that he had a lock on three.

Grass isn't always greener...look at Matthew hurt...he'll have 2 years at Duke and maybe play in less ncaa tourney games than any gopher.

When it's said and done he'll get drafted and be a forgotten nobody in duke history

But hey he'll have 2 less winters under his belt

Grass isn't always greener...look at Matthew hurt...he'll have 2 years at Duke and maybe play in less ncaa tourney games than any gopher.

When it's said and done he'll get drafted and be a forgotten nobody in duke history

But hey he'll have 2 less winters under his belt

He really should not get drafted but probably will. The Duke rep probably will help in in that regard. He would seem a better fit for overseas.

1: Mashburn or Carr
2: Gabe
3: Chet or Gach
4: Johnson or Freshman
5: Robbins or Freshman

If you want a Final 4 run than Chet comes to Minnesota over Gonzaga, if he trusts that Pitino would be able to maximize his gift set. . Plus, you have to trust that Mashburn could execute a pick and roll with Robbins and dish the ball off to an open Chet for the slam or 3. However in the end there is no way he would be coming here if he has not built up any chemistry with the team

1: Mashburn or Carr
2: Gabe
3: Chet or Gach
4: Johnson or Freshman
5: Robbins or Freshman

If you want a Final 4 run than Chet comes to Minnesota over Gonzaga, if he trusts that Pitino would be able to maximize his gift set. . Plus, you have to trust that Mashburn could execute a pick and roll with Robbins and dish the ball off to an open Chet for the slam or 3. However in the end there is no way he would be coming here if he has not built up any chemistry with the team
There is one way he chooses us without the chemistry element; and it’s triggered August 1, 2021. Last I read, that’s the date Players can begin to profit from their likeness. Consider the Spokane metro area is 500k, while the Twin Cities is pushing 4M and teaming with huge alumni base locally. As a native MN and biggest recruit in school history, if he stays home he might be the poster child for maximizing your college choice monetarily through this new channel. He might be one and done, but he could have several multi year endorsements in his hometown while playing in a different NBA city if he plays his cards right.

He really should not get drafted but probably will. The Duke rep probably will help in in that regard. He would seem a better fit for overseas.
I would be willing to bet that Hurt does not get drafted. At all. Robbins might have more NBA upside at this point.

I would be willing to bet that Hurt does not get drafted. At all. Robbins might have more NBA upside at this point.
In either 2021 or 2022 ? There is a fair amount of noise for late first or early 2nd.

In either 2021 or 2022 ? There is a fair amount of noise for late first or early 2nd.
Really? I don't see him as being first round material at all. He will get passed by the younger less proven "potential" crowd by the end of the season. Especially if Duke manages to miss the dance.

Chet does not shy away from pressure. Besides , there is very low pressure here. Gopher hoops is not the top dog. There is like 2 beat writers.And Gonzaga is a national brand.
Right, but pressure at Gonzaga is on the team to do well. Not one player in particular -- and no added pressure because of being a homestate hero, at that -- to swoop in and take the team to greatness.

Right, but pressure at Gonzaga is on the team to do well. Not one player in particular -- and no added pressure because of being a homestate hero, at that -- to swoop in and take the team to greatness.
I think Chet loves pressure.

Shama chimes in:

Word is Chet Holmgren, the Minnehaha Academy superstar who could be the No. 1 selection in the 2022 NBA Draft, will consider joining the pay-for-play G League team for elite prospects, but is leaning toward college next fall. Holmgren’s list of potential college programs still includes the Gophers. The programs in contention for the nation’s No. 1 prep prospect are: Georgetown, Gonzaga, Memphis, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina and Ohio State.

Go Gophers!!

Definitely not coming here. Never will we get a kid of that caliber here until we can be a consistent winner.
Even then you're still not guaranteed. If we get to the level of Duke, NC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. you're still battling with them every year to land the top recruits. Would be nice to just shrug off a local 5* ignoring us because we got one from somewhere else though.

Even then you're still not guaranteed. If we get to the level of Duke, NC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc. you're still battling with them every year to land the top recruits. Would be nice to just shrug off a local 5* ignoring us because we got one from somewhere else though.
Is it ok if we get a 4 that becomes a 5 star ? We are not getting to the blue blood level. Lets work on one conference title and one final 4 and go from there.

When we were winning I thought there was a chance he could change his mind and come here. Now, no chance. Let’s move on with life.

Why go to school for one year instead of going directly to the G League?
To be the BMOC for a year?
It clearly is not to further his education

would imagine it depends on the coach/trainer he'd get to work with for that year. The money won't matter in the long run in theory for a guy like Chet (he should be a top draft pick and get a massive shoe deal when he's done with college or the G league). So it more depends on who he thinks can develop his talent better. There may also be some component of camaraderie with a college team that he feels he can't get in the G league with guys who may be older, have different motivations, etc versus in college the idea is to win a championship with guys you develop a close bond with.

The chances of holmgren joining the gophs are less than the odds of:
- me enjoying listening to dakich.
- me enjoying the badger's style of play
- me enjoying hearing my wife say it is time to rearrange the furniture again.
- me enjoying my short game.

Last edited:

To win a national championship

Top Bottom