All Things Chet Holmgren Recruitment Thread (Class of 2021, Gophers Have Offered)

Chet is going to stun the WORLD and come to the GOPHERS on condition that all home games are to be played in...…..

FULL BANANA!!!!

Would the U of Minn have a better chance of getting some of these hometown kids if we were to tear down Williams Arena and put up a brand new, shiny place with some elbow room and some space around a level court? After all, it is the 21st century.

At minnesota would be seen as a "savior" and would be much pressure on him from the beginning to win games against the toughest competition in the land. At Gonzaga, would be much lower level of competition until year's end so could focus much more on development for nba.

Watched highlights of Minnehaha Academy's season-opener. Holmgren did his usual stuff. Had one sequence where he blocked a short and dribbled through the other team for a dunk. Hit a few 3's. They have him out top a lot initiating the offense. made some really nice passes.

And Prince Aligbe looked really good. Smooth, strong, handles the ball well, can hit an outside jumper. He is a talent.

Would the U of Minn have a better chance of getting some of these hometown kids if we were to tear down Williams Arena and put up a brand new, shiny place with some elbow room and some space around a level court? After all, it is the 21st century.
The same logic that moved the fb team to the dome.

Watched highlights of Minnehaha Academy's season-opener. Holmgren did his usual stuff. Had one sequence where he blocked a short and dribbled through the other team for a dunk. Hit a few 3's. They have him out top a lot initiating the offense. made some really nice passes.

And Prince Aligbe looked really good. Smooth, strong, handles the ball well, can hit an outside jumper. He is a talent.

I like Aligbe a lot. Elite wing defender

I have always been of the opinion that gonzaga would be appealing to holmgren as would have easier opponents so would have more of a chance to work on his game to prepare for nba. However maybe he could see value in playing in the most difficult league to prepare for the next step? Especially if the gophers are having success so he isnt double teamed all the time?

Yeah, pretty nutty to imagine that lineup is a possibility. After a big win though it kind of seems possible.

Exactly and who knows, maybe covid makes him think, it would be nice to stay home instead.

Hear me out...
1 Chet
2 Gabe
3 Pohto
4 Thompson
5 Liam

Made me laugh that would be one interesting lineup. Tallest in ncaa history? Would probly have to go zone defense? Chet, thompson, pohto are all 3 point shooters so that would be good. Could we get the ball up the court? Would probly need to set a lot of screens as dont think pohto or thompson are slasher types who could get their own shots much as freshmen.

Exactly and who knows, maybe covid makes him think, it would be nice to stay home instead.

Yeah, another factor in our favor. If Chet comes and we have pieces around him, gopher bb takes over the town. Hockey and especially twolves left in the dust.

Last edited:

Made me laugh that would be one interesting lineup. Tallest in ncaa history? Would probly have to go zone defense? Chet, thompson, pohto are all 3 point shooters so that would be good. Could we get the ball up the court? Would probly need to set a lot of screens as dont think pohto or thompson are slasher types who could get their own shots much as freshmen.

Gabe might be the worst 3 point shooter out of that starting five!

Leaving out 6-10 Martice Mitchell???

Mitchell is interesting. Was surprised last week when pitino said mitchell has the most nba potential of anybody on the team. Easy to forget about him but he apparently could have a bright future.

I have always felt that Chet would join the ‘smart’ kids at Wisconsin. They are just so smart. You look at the line up and know those kids will be the smartest kids on the court.

Didn't sound like Aligbe was seriously considering the Gophers in his interview with Doogie last week. There is time though, so hoping that changes, but as Ryan James keeps pointing out, the long-term recruitments with Pitino typically haven't yielded good results vs. his strong ability to go out and get a guy on short notice either via the portal or as a spring signee.

He and his dad have said they want him to go somewhere where they have a guy who will play post so Chet can play the wing more...Robbins is looking pretty solid right now and should be back next year (assuming no injuries etc).

Chet wouldn't need to play 1 minute inside here.
I’d think if Robbins keeps playing well, he won’t be here next year. There would be no reason to stay...he’s our leading 3 point shooter, making free throws, blocking shots, showing versatility....why stay if the NBA is your dream? Pretty hard to go much higher.

I’d think if Robbins keeps playing well, he won’t be here next year. There would be no reason to stay...he’s our leading 3 point shooter, making free throws, blocking shots, showing versatility....why stay if the NBA is your dream? Pretty hard to go much higher.

I think consistency and not getting dominated by the big boys every other outing needs to happen before we worry about that. And I'm saying this as one of Liam's biggest fans. He also could get much stronger with another year of the right nutrition and S&C

How old is he ?

Do we think Carr is coming back?

Probly not, just thinking about best case scenario. Although would guess there is a better chance he returns than chet wearing a gopher uniform.

Top Bottom