All Things Bowl Game Speculation

Most outlets have Iowa to the Holiday because they've played recently in the Outback and Gator bowls. Lots of smoke around the Michigan - Alabama matchup in the Citrus Bowl being drool-worthy for bowl officials, the conference, and TV.
No, Michigan is going to Citrus.

Unless I misunderstood, the Citrus has to avoid Michigan (if possible) because of the 5 in 6 rule.

Palm minutes ago. I follow his predictions yearly as do many. He's right almost always.

Alabama
  • Citrus Bowl vs. Minnesota
Auburn
  • Outback Bowl vs. Penn State

Yea I don’t see a scenario that Michigan goes to the Citrus unless both Bucky and PSU get to the NY6, even if they do, Minnesota really should go to citrus

Palm minutes ago. I follow his predictions yearly as do many. He's right almost always.

Alabama
  • Citrus Bowl vs. Minnesota
Auburn
  • Outback Bowl vs. Penn State
But if Georgia were to beat LSU and they both ended up in the playoff as a result, it would change the order of the SEC bowl invites correct?

Unless I misunderstood, the Citrus has to avoid Michigan (if possible) because of the 5 in 6 rule.

Yes, you misunderstood. The Citrus can take anyone but Penn State. Already explained in a previous post.

After the Rose Bowl, the “bowls” don’t really pick. The B1G picks using the selection criteria. The bowls then rubber stamp. That has been published here several times.

Yes, you misunderstood. The Citrus can take anyone but Penn State. Already explained in a previous post.
Regardless, from what I have read I still think Michigan is going to Holiday Bowl.

One thing I haven't seen people mention is Wisconsin going to a NY6 bowl.

Stew Mandel currently has the Badgers projected to go to the Cotton Bowl as an at large team. If this is the case it'll help our chances of landing in the Outback.

One thing I haven't seen people mention is Wisconsin going to a NY6 bowl.

Stew Mandel currently has the Badgers projected to go to the Cotton Bowl as an at large team. If this is the case it'll help our chances of landing in the Outback.
Here's something else to think about - if Wisconsin beats OSU they would go to the Rose Bowl and I know some were concerned that would drop everyone down a bowl -- but if that happens, OSU almost certainly lands a NY6 bowl game anyways....I think it's almost a lock the Gophers go to either the Florida Citrus Bowl or the Outback and I am still thinking Outback...

I really don't want Bama....

I want a win to continue the momentum with fans. I really think Bama and all their angry 5* dudes will show up to make a point.

I want a win to continue the momentum with fans. I really think Bama and all their angry 5* dudes will show up to make a point.
See I almost feel the opposite...there's also always a chance to lose a bowl game and losing to someone like Tennessee will be more painful than a team we "should" lose to. Buuuuuuut if we can somehow sneak a win against an uninterested Alabama team...we'll be ranked top 15 next year, have a great thing to sell recruits and fans, be talked about all offseason, etc.

See I almost feel the opposite...there's also always a chance to lose a bowl game and losing to someone like Tennessee will be more painful than a team we "should" lose to. Buuuuuuut if we can somehow sneak a win against an uninterested Alabama team...we'll be ranked top 15 next year, have a great thing to sell recruits and fans, be talked about all offseason, etc.

I don't think anyone gives us credit for getting pounded by Bama. It only works the other way.

I don't think anyone gives us credit for getting pounded by Bama. It only works the other way.
Nope we won't get credit getting pounded by bama but we also won't get credit beating the 6th best team from a conference either. If this truly is a special season I say bring on the big boys.

Here's something else to think about - if Wisconsin beats OSU they would go to the Rose Bowl and I know some were concerned that would drop everyone down a bowl -- but if that happens, OSU almost certainly lands a NY6 bowl game anyways....I think it's almost a lock the Gophers go to either the Florida Citrus Bowl or the Outback and I am still thinking Outback...

If WIS beats OSU, it could definitely put MN in the Gator Bowl.

Nope we won't get credit getting pounded by bama but we also won't get credit beating the 6th best team from a conference either. If this truly is a special season I say bring on the big boys.

If they're ranked we will.

Or with Alabama a lot of their "5* dudes" will hold back as they don't want to risk an injury before the NFL trials.

What point would that be... that 'Bama is better than their record?

If other teams get angry, seek revenge, look to drive home a point, and show up to prove they're better than people think...

... isn't it possible that the Gophers could feel the same way about their season, and how it's perceived?

One of our esteemed locals sports 'journalists' wrote that the Gophers had only one impressive win all season. One.

If I was a Gopher football player, I'd want to win a big bowl game against the most impressive opponent possible to prove people like him are dead wrong about my team and me.

I would definitely not be thinking, "Oh, man... I hope we get some lower-rung opponent so we can collect a sure win!"

Yea I don’t see a scenario that Michigan goes to the Citrus unless both Bucky and PSU get to the NY6, even if they do, Minnesota really should go to citrus
If OU gets the #4 seed, there is a strong chance that Wisc could be ranked #10 (ahead of 9-3 Auburn at #11) and that would mean they get to play in the Cotton Bowl against the G5 champ .... exactly like in 2016.

That still, in theory, leaves both Iowa and Michigan ahead of us in the final CFP ranking.

Then it comes down to the "correct" interpretation of the language "Citrus Bowl will feature at least five different Big Ten schools over six-year agreement." To my reading, that means that the bowl can't use a repeat pick until they've had five different schools. Some people think, on the other hand, that it means the bowl can use a repeat any time it wants in the six years (so long as not back-to-back).

In the end, I don't have faith that the Big Ten will enforce the former interpretation. I think the language is vauge enough for them to wiggle around and allow Michigan to go to the Citrus, if that is what the Citrus wants.

I would rather play Alabama than Tennessee. I would rather see the Gophers in a "can't lose" situation than a "can't win" game. People have been making fun of Tennessee all year.

What point would that be... that 'Bama is better than their record?

If other teams get angry, seek revenge, look to drive home a point, and show up to prove they're better than people think...

... isn't it possible that the Gophers could feel the same way about their season, and how it's perceived?

One of our esteemed locals sports 'journalists' wrote that the Gophers had only one impressive win all season. One.

If I was a Gopher football player, I'd want to win a big bowl game against the most impressive opponent possible to prove people like him are dead wrong about my team and me.

I would definitely not be thinking, "Oh, man... I hope we get some lower-rung opponent so we can collect a sure win!"

Worrying about what some sports writer thinks and taking a beating for it doesn't make sense.

I mean we could have just scheduled Bama ... Clemson for OOC games but we don't for good reason.

It’s about the same as playing OSU, and we all wanted that. Actually, I think OSU would throttle Bama right now.

We wanted to play OSU because we would have won the division to get there.

I didn't see anyone seriously predicting a win there...

I would rather play Alabama than Tennessee. I would rather see the Gophers in a "can't lose" situation than a "can't win" game. People have been making fun of Tennessee all year.

I agree. Playing Tennesee (Boise State...I've heard rumblings Coyle is pushing for this...uggghhh) has minimal upside and a tremendous downside. Playing Bama, Auburn, and Florida. has tremendous upside and minimal downside.

Top Bottom