All Things Bowl Game Speculation

Still hoping for Bama, Florida or Auburn (in that order).

Win against a lower SEC team we are ranked 20-30 to begin next season. Lose against a lower SEC team we start next season ranked 25- 35. Lose against Bama, Florida or Auburn we start next season 20-30 - win and we could be #15-20. Everything to gain and nothing to lose...The new Gophers dare to be a legend.

So, isn't that very, very close to saying that nothing effects recruiting? 10-3 (like in 2003) is no different than 11-2 for recruiting? Losing three or our last four would have no (0.0%) influence on recruiting? Winning three of our last four games last year had no effect on recruiting either in the short run or long run? Again, what does then? I love PJ, but spinning the above as nothing might be out of even his league.
Being in a bowl and playing a lesser opponent has a larger negative effect on recruiting IMO, than does losing in a bigger bowl game to a tougher opponent.

Being in a bowl and playing a lesser opponent has a larger negative effect on recruiting IMO, than does losing in a bigger bowl game to a tougher opponent.

I agree. Just being able to play an opponent the caliber of Alabama is enough to impress a lot of people. It takes away some of the sting of #18. Why in the hell would anyone want to play Boise State?

I think there are some years where simply getting that extra win is probably more important, but this isn't one of those. Win #11 would be great, but even greater if we were to beat somebody noteworthy.

this is more subjective than objective. I just like the idea of winning the last game of the season. A win in the bowl game sends you into the off-season on a good note. A loss sends you into the off-season on a bad note. So, all things being equal, I would rather have the Gophers win.

In terms of perception, maybe some of the national writers might- I say might- think less of the Gophers if they beat a Tennessee-level opponent in the bowl game. But casual fans will just see it as a win. If they do go up against a Bama or Auburn, a close loss probably doesn't hurt them too much. But a bad loss on national TV would not be good - coming on the heels of the loss to WI.

Bottom line - if it's for a Conference Title or a National Title, then let the Gophers play one of the top teams in the country. If it's a bowl game that does not decide any championships, then I don't really care who they play as long as they win. I would take a (hypothetical) 35-14 win over a lesser team any day compared to a 14-35 loss to a powerhouse. Hopefully no posters would declare it an 11* win season if the final opponent was not up to their standards.........

this is more subjective than objective. I just like the idea of winning the last game of the season. A win in the bowl game sends you into the off-season on a good note. A loss sends you into the off-season on a bad note. So, all things being equal, I would rather have the Gophers win.

In terms of perception, maybe some of the national writers might- I say might- think less of the Gophers if they beat a Tennessee-level opponent in the bowl game. But casual fans will just see it as a win. If they do go up against a Bama or Auburn, a close loss probably doesn't hurt them too much. But a bad loss on national TV would not be good - coming on the heels of the loss to WI.

Bottom line - if it's for a Conference Title or a National Title, then let the Gophers play one of the top teams in the country. If it's a bowl game that does not decide any championships, then I don't really care who they play as long as they win. I would take a (hypothetical) 35-14 win over a lesser team any day compared to a 14-35 loss to a powerhouse. Hopefully no posters would declare it an 11* win season if the final opponent was not up to their standards.........

And I understand your side as well.

The thing that would be good about getting clobbered, if that happened, would be that we would not have to read any more of this "best team since 1905" baloney or the equally silly "most wins ever since 1905" baloney. We would just be the "just as good as the 2003" team, which is probably about right. But, overall, I am much more in the Short Norwegian camp on this one.

The thing that would be good about getting clobbered, if that happened, would be that we would not have to read any more of this "best team since 1905" baloney or the equally silly "most wins ever since 1905" baloney. We would just be the "just as good as the 2003" team, which is probably about right.
That's like the worst "good" thing ever.

I would rather the Gophers play Bama in the Citrus. That game would bring a larger TV audience with a higher profile opponent. I hope more recruits will pay attention and take the time to watch the game than if we played Tennessee or some lesser opponent and we could still lose the game if we are not focused. There are no guaranteed wins. Also, I think we can beat 'Bama for reasons others have stated: back up QB, multiple players sitting out this game due to the draft, not as motivated now that playoff hopes are done, etc.

No matter who we play, I would prefer to be the underdog.

Bring on Bama. Free maroon and gold kazoos. Practice Rocky Top so we all are in harmony.

The "problem" (if you want to call it that) is all the top teams have played in these bowls recently...which is the reason for the "if possible" language in the contracts. Case in point is the Citrus. MN, PSU, and Mich have all been there recently. Would make sense for Wisconsin to be placed here, but they obviously can't if they're in a NY6 bowl. Iowa hasn't been recently, but they lost to all of PSU, Wisc, and Mich. Plus their fanbase has been to many Florida bowls recenty. They've not been to the Holiday Bowl forever, so it just makes sense to place them there. So in the case both PSU and Wisc are in the NY6, the Citrus is likely to end up with a repeat of either MN or Mich due to the "if possible" language.

The system is FAR superior to the old one (letting the bowls pick...which inevitably screwed certain teams and had others traveling to the same places year after year). That said, it's tough to figure out.
I don't think that phrase ("if possible") is actually in the agreements. For whatever it is worth (I have no idea if that document is any kind of end all, be all) the document floating around from the BT about selection procedures does not contain the phrase.

I've only seen that phrase in SON's postings, which I believe he is taking from a college news website, not an official source.

But I could easily be wrong.

I don't think that phrase ("if possible") is actually in the agreements. For whatever it is worth (I have no idea if that document is any kind of end all, be all) the document floating around from the BT about selection procedures does not contain the phrase.

I've only seen that phrase in SON's postings, which I believe he is taking from a college news website, not an official source.

What the hell!??!?

That's not how it works here man. That's the place you make some smarmy comment about how the other person is wrong and that their mother smells of elderberries....

I've been wrong so, so many times before, on all kinds of topics. Meh, no skin off my back, and someone smarter than me usually posts the correct info. Seems like ultimately, if the truth comes out, then no big deal. :cool:

You're probably right. I've read WAY too much about bowl selection procedures the past 3 days and have likely gotten confused about specific language. It's still true that the bowls can ask for exceptions from the "5 teams in 6 years" requirement (or that the conference will just ignore it) as evidenced by Iowa playing in the Outback 3 of the past 6 seasons. So if the Citrus really, really wants Michigan -- and the B1G wants to see Michigan vs. Alabama -- it'll happen.

The thing that would be good about getting clobbered, if that happened, would be that we would not have to read any more of this "best team since 1905" baloney or the equally silly "most wins ever since 1905" baloney. We would just be the "just as good as the 2003" team, which is probably about right. But, overall, I am much more in the Short Norwegian camp on this one.

Is it baloney or bologna?

Good thing you’re not in charge of recruiting.

You're probably right. I've read WAY too much about bowl selection procedures the past 3 days and have likely gotten confused about specific language. It's still true that the bowls can ask for exceptions from the "5 teams in 6 years" requirement (or that the conference will just ignore it) as evidenced by Iowa playing in the Outback 3 of the past 6 seasons. So if the Citrus really, really wants Michigan -- and the B1G wants to see Michigan vs. Alabama -- it'll happen.

The current "5 teams in 6 years" requirement started after the 2013 season. So Iowa's appearance in the Outback Bowl did not count against them.

As long as we get a Lee Greenwood halftime of "From the Lakes of MInnesota (YEAHHHHH!)....to the hills of Tennessee (YEAHHHHHH!)", I'm good with a Minnesota-Tennessee match up.

Leaders as of now are MN and TN. By a pretty good margin. I guess the TN fans are stoked about their Outback chances.
Yeah, I can't imagine many Auburn fans are going out of their way to vote...

So, isn't that very, very close to saying that nothing effects recruiting? 10-3 (like in 2003) is no different than 11-2 for recruiting? Losing three or our last four would have no (0.0%) influence on recruiting? Winning three of our last four games last year had no effect on recruiting either in the short run or long run? Again, what does then? I love PJ, but spinning the above as nothing might be out of even his league.
I think you are making a HUGE assumption on what affects recruiting. What I am saying is whether we win or lose this Bowl game will have 0.0% effect on recruiting. The 2020 team will basically be signed before the game and the 2021 team and beyond won’t care a bit if we lose on Jan 1, 2020.

Last edited:

I think you are making a HUGE assumption on what affects recruiting. What I am saying is whether we win or lose this Bowl game will have 0.0% effect on recruiting. The 2020 team will basically be signed before the game and the 2021 team and beyond won’t care a bit if we lose on Jan 1, 2020.

Right. But beating an Alabama or an Auburn on NYD would definitely leave a lasting mark.

Beating a 7-5 Tennessee or Texas A&M team would be quickly forgotten.

Well, more realistic.

True. But most of us see the progress. Win the west (should have this year), compete.....truly compete in the Championship.....and nothing is impossible.

It would be great to play A & M.

Jimbo Fisher's son had his bone marrow transplant at the U's Masonic Hospital, and still comes up for annual physicals.

As long as we get a Lee Greenwood halftime of "From the Lakes of MInnesota (YEAHHHHH!)....to the hills of Tennessee (YEAHHHHHH!)", I'm good with a Minnesota-Tennessee match up.

1986 Liberty Bowl in Memphis (MN v. TN): I was there and Lee Greenwood sang that song at half! It was EPIC!!!!

He actually did that at halftime of the 1986 Liberty Bowl....fun to see

Top Bottom