All Things Bowl Game Speculation

Word

Eats difficult conversations
Reaction score
Which game? Which opponent?

How many of our NFL-bound players sit out the game?

Gotta be the citrus bowl right? Maybe outback?

Well, Bama lost today.
Could get Bama, Auburn... maybe Virginia from the ACC.

I don't know the Bowl rules, but it could be anyone ranked 5th -15th as well as Oregon, Utah, or Virginia. Notre Dame?

I posted something like the below in another thread, but I'm literally talking out my butt until I dig into this a little:

I'd assume Georgia loses this SEC 'ship and both them and Alabama end up in NYD6 bowls (Orange and Sugar). That puts Auburn or Florida in the Citrus. PSU to Rose? Wisc to Citrus? MN almost certainly to Outback vs. next SEC team (Florida?). Lots to work out in the next week. I'll be kinda bummed about today for a while, but I'll be over it in a few days and excited to learn the bowl destination.

EDIT: Orange Bowl selects highest ranked ACC team (after Clemson) and highest ranked remaining team from B1G, SEC, and ND. Almost certain to be Alabama or Georgia. No way MN is ranked above either of them, so Orange is out for sure.

Outback most likely. Amazing to see that as a let down, but it is.

Camellia Bowl or Frisco Bowl.

EDIT: Orange Bowl selects highest ranked ACC team (after Clemson) and highest ranked remaining team from B1G, SEC, and ND. Almost certain to be Alabama or Georgia. No way MN is ranked above either of them, so Orange is out for sure.

Thanks for the info. Outback for sure then I guess. Crazy that the second best ACC team may play Alabama or Georgia.

What about rose bowl still assuming wisc loses next week??? That’ll be 3 losses vs our 2 and we got the longest drought

big ten teams:
Ohio state beats Wisconsin > OSU cfp - Wisconsin 10-3
Wisconsin beats OSU > osu still goes to cfp, Wisconsin 11-2 rose bowl
penn state 10-2
minnesota 10-2
iowa 9-3
michigan 9-3
where do we drop in rankings? 12,14? Ahead of PSU?if Wisconsin loses big do they stay above us?(3 losses including ill. )
We have two losses two ranked teams

Last edited:

What about rose bowl still assuming wisc loses next week??? That’ll be 3 losses vs our 2 and we got the longest drought
PSU all the way in that case. They'll still be ranked in the top 10, with Wisconsin around 12 and Minnesota around 15ish?

PSU all the way in that case. They'll still be ranked in the top 10, with Wisconsin around 12 and Minnesota around 15ish?
Yes, Minnesota is either #4 in the B1G (OSU, PSU, Wisc) or #5 (Mich), depending on what you think of Michigan. I personally feel Gophers are the fifth-best team, but as close to second as seventh (Iowa and IU). Gophers should get 4th or 5th B1G slot

Michigan didn’t look good today and has three losses....

The more I've looked at this, the more obvious it is MN will be in the Outback.

OSU: CFP with a win or loss
PSU to Rose (depending on B1G championship. But in all likelihood, this is PSU)
Wisc to Citrus
MN to Outback (Mich and Wisc have been here recently)
Mich to Holiday
Iowa to Gator (they could flip with Mich since neither has been to Holiday recently)
Illinois to Redbox (IU has been here recently)
Indiana to Pinstripe
MSU to Quick Lane

SEC selection goes --
LSU: CFP
Sugar: Georgia
Orange: Alabama (likely to be next highest rated of non-Rose B1G teams, ND, and other SEC teams)
Citrus: Florida or Auburn...but probably Florida at 10-2
Outback: See above...probably Auburn

Will I be able to move my Big10 Championship ticket at a price point good enough to cover a bowl ticket?

The more I've looked at this, the more obvious it is MN will be in the Outback.

OSU: CFP with a win or loss
PSU to Rose (depending on B1G championship. But in all likelihood, this is PSU)
Wisc to Citrus
MN to Outback (Mich and Wisc have been here recently)
Mich to Holiday
Iowa to Gator (they could flip with Mich since neither has been to Holiday recently)
Illinois to Redbox (IU has been here recently)
Indiana to Pinstripe
MSU to Quick Lane

SEC selection goes --
LSU: CFP
Sugar: Georgia
Orange: Alabama (likely to be next highest rated of non-Rose B1G teams, ND, and other SEC teams)
Citrus: Florida or Auburn...but probably Florida at 10-2
Outback: See above...probably Auburn
Florida may be higher than Alabama in rankings - auburn looks like our opponent & they will have several of thier best players sitting for the draft - how many will we have sit?

Unfortunately longevity holds some equity. That is the benefit PSU will take advantage of with the committee. It really isn't travels well any more, but recent history favors the consistently successful. At the moment, UM is somewhere between upstart and emerging.

Florida may be higher than Alabama in rankings - auburn looks like our opponent & they will have several of thier best players sitting for the draft - how many will we have sit?
Watching the end of the Auburn/Alabama game and I’ve got to be honest here. Playing either one of those teams is going to be extremely difficult. I’m hoping somehow we dodge them and get Florida or Georgia.

Someone will sit it out. I would if I was them.
I don't get this.

We will likely be playing in a nationally televised game, probably on ABC or ESPN, on New Years day against a top 15 SEC team like Bama, Florida or Auburn in Florida. Thats a pretty damn big deal if you ask me. I guess I can understand if your Bama who had hopes of winning it all going into the year but for us, playing in the Citrus or Outback is still going to be a really big game.

If you were a top NFL player and felt like you've secured your stock then why wouldn't you just quit in the middle of the season when you've felt like you secured your spot? Why wait till the end of the regular season?

There was a rundown in the Strib of all the bowl options - and a main factor is that a lot of the bowls have clauses where they want 5 different teams over a 6-year period and stuff like that. The Gophers played in the Citrus Bowl in 2014, so when you look at all the options, it really looks like the Outback Bowl.

Yes, it's a Jan 1st Bowl in Florida - but it doesn't have the traditional name recognition of a Rose, Sugar or Orange Bowl. On the other hand, it's not Detroit.

As to whether any of our guys sit out, I doubt Kamal or Carter do. Kamal has only played in 8 games this season so the sample size is still pretty small for him. And Carter loves the gophers too much.

For Tyler, I think if he were going to sit out the bowl game then he probably wouldn't have come back at all this year anyways and would already be in the NFL. Winfield IMO is the most likely, not saying he will sit out though.

Overall I don't think any of them sit out as playing in the Outback or Citrus against a likely top 15 SEC team like Bama, Auburn or Florida is still a pretty big deal for this program, unlike playing in Detroit twice in the past 4 years. Josh Allen and Benny Snell didn't sit out when Kentucky played PSU in the Citrus and Allen was a projected top 5 pick. Thats because for Kentucky, a 10 win season and Citrus Bowl appearance against a top 15 PSU team was a huge deal for them and I don't think it's much different for us either.

My prediction:
CFP - Ohio State
Rose - Wisconsin
Citrus - Penn State
Outback - Minnesota (Michigan could be selected here but they were here 2 years ago. Iowa is ineligible for this bowl since they were here last year)
Holiday - Michigan
Gator - Indiana (Iowa is ineligible for this bowl since they were in the Gator already during the 6 year period)
Pinstripe - Iowa
Redbox - Illinois (Michigan State is ineligible for this bowl since they were in Redbox last year)
Quick Lane - Michigan State

Last edited:

Since Iowa is ineligible for both the Outback and Gator, Minnesota's loss really hurts their chances. If they don't get Holiday, they could fall to all the way to Redbox since they were at Pinstripe 2 years ago.

My prediction:
CFP - Ohio State
Rose - Wisconsin
Citrus - Penn State
Outback - Minnesota (Michigan could be selected here but they were here 2 years ago. Iowa is ineligible for this bowl since they were here last year)
Holiday - Michigan
Gator - Indiana (Iowa is ineligible for this bowl since they were in the Gator already during the 6 year period)
Pinstripe - Iowa
Redbox - Illinois (Michigan State is ineligible for this bowl since they were in Redbox last year)
Quick Lake - Michigan State
That's an effing kick in the teeth for Iowa. I get why, but ouch.

Top Bottom