All Things Bowl Game Speculation

Sorry. Just saw this. Been interesting around here. Lots of speculation on next coach and been trying to keep up with that.
You should start a thread and keep us posted. I'm interested in how the saga will play out, and the long term.

No chance Citrus picks us over Michigan for the Citrus bowl, they just will not do it based on past history.

Not sure if this has been posted, but a mostly good analysis of Bowls, restrictions based on who played where during the cycle, etc. A few other sites I've seen have said Michigan is a lock for the Holiday Bowl based on a number of factors.

The one thing they don't take into account is even though some Bowls can have repeats, they may not want to based on timing in the cycle, though this is the last year of the cycle for several.

Looks like the realistic options are Outback, Gator and Rose in order of likelihood, all great options.

FWIW - the article I posted was chosen because it had the clearest and more complete explanation I could find of bowl-game tie-ins and restrictions. Not pushing an agenda. I had remembered seeing an item that the Gophers might not play in certain bowls because of restrictions on repeat appearances, and I was trying to find something that spelled out the pecking order and criteria for bowl selection.

again, the article I posted was the best I could find.

As long as we get a Lee Greenwood halftime of "From the Lakes of MInnesota (YEAHHHHH!)....to the hills of Tennessee (YEAHHHHHH!)", I'm good with a Minnesota-Tennessee match up.
I am still seriously scarred from that when we played them in Memphis. That was the worst experience ever (probably not really but I hated it), and I am just now starting to be able to listen to that song again.

Michigan or Penn State should play Alabama; Gophers should play Tennessee or go to the Rose Bowl.

BLOG 565893102
RandBall

Multiple bowl projections now have the Gophers playing ... Alabama
It’s starting to look more and more like New Year’s Day will be another potential building block game for the Gophers against a college football power.
By Michael Rand

DECEMBER 6, 2019 — 12:25PM

Story below pictures

pjimage-11.jpg

There is still plenty to sort out as college football lurches toward conference championship games this weekend — with bowl invitations to be finalized shortly thereafter.
But as I was perusing the latest projections recently, a couple of them caught my eye.
Jerry Palm of CBS Sports, a well-respected authority on these projections, has switched his projection from Gophers vs. Florida in the Outback Bowl to Minnesota going to the Citrus Bowl and facing …
Alabama. Gulp. Welcome to the big time (if it happens).
And ESPN’s duo of Kyle Bonagura and Mark Schlabach, who both previously had the Gophers playing Tennessee in the Outback Bowl, are now split.
Both still have the Gophers in the Outback, and Schlabach still has them going against Tennessee. But Bonagura has changed Minnesota’s opponent to Alabama.
No offense to Tennessee, which won its final five games after a 2-5 start to finish 7-5 heading into bowl season, but Alabama would be a couple steps up in class.
All the Crimson Tide has done, after all, is win five of the last 10 national championships and played in each of the last four College Football Playoff Championship games (going 2-2).
Alabama was in the CFP hunt again this season until a loss to Auburn on Saturday, the same day the Gophers were upended by Wisconsin and bounced from CFP talk.
Both the Gophers and Alabama are 10-2, so in that sense a meeting between the two in a bowl game is a good fit. (But please spare me the “the Gophers beat Alabama the last time they played in a bowl game” talk. That was 2004, and it was a 6-6 Mike Shula-coached Alabama team).
Various other projections have the Gophers going against Auburn in the Outback Bowl — including this one from SI.com.
It’s starting to look more and more like New Year’s Day will be another potential building block game for the Gophers against a college football power.

If OU gets the #4 seed, there is a strong chance that Wisc could be ranked #10 (ahead of 9-3 Auburn at #11) and that would mean they get to play in the Cotton Bowl against the G5 champ .... exactly like in 2016.

That still, in theory, leaves both Iowa and Michigan ahead of us in the final CFP ranking.

Then it comes down to the "correct" interpretation of the language "Citrus Bowl will feature at least five different Big Ten schools over six-year agreement." To my reading, that means that the bowl can't use a repeat pick until they've had five different schools. Some people think, on the other hand, that it means the bowl can use a repeat any time it wants in the six years (so long as not back-to-back).

In the end, I don't have faith that the Big Ten will enforce the former interpretation. I think the language is vauge enough for them to wiggle around and allow Michigan to go to the Citrus, if that is what the Citrus wants.
Why do you think the five different teams have to happen in the first five years? If that is what they wanted, they'd have said, "Five different teams will be selected over the first five years." Instead they said five different teams over the length of the agreement (six years).

Playing an SEC team in the Outback or Citrus bowl will be tougher competition then playing in the Rose Bowl this year

Why do you think the five different teams have to happen in the first five years? If that is what they wanted, they'd have said, "Five different teams will be selected over the first five years." Instead they said five different teams over the length of the agreement (six years).
The language is only unambiguous when a bowl selects six Big Ten teams in six years. In that case, both of the following scenarios should meet the literal requirements of "at least five different Big Ten schools over six-year agreement":
a) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota
b) Minnesota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Iowa

On the other hand, consider the following two scenarios:
- Minnesota, Michigan, Louisville, Notre Dame, Penn State, Minnesota
- Minnesota, Michigan, Louisville, Notre Dame, Penn State, Iowa

Do either of these scenarios meet the literal requirements of "at least five different Big Ten schools over six-year agreement"? The first scenario has three different Big Ten teams, while the lower scenario has four different Big Ten teams. So it would seem that, literally neither scenario meets the requirements.

The language is very confusing and ambiguous, for cases where the bowl isn't selecting a Big Ten team every year.

If the intention of the Big Ten was that every bowl in the agreement has a one-time exception that allows them to select a repeat Big Ten team, and they can use it any time within the six years, regardless how many different Big Ten teams they had selected up to that point (so long as it isn't back-to-back), then the phrase was very poorly worded.

The only other thing I can think of, is if they're lumping the Orange and the Citrus together, and that those two are collectively required to meet the diversity. But that also kinda doesn't work, because the Orange's hands are tied.

But if you believe that, then we've had:
2014 (Citrus) - Minnesota
2015 (Citrus) - Michigan
2016 (Orange non-CFP) - Michigan
2017 (Orange non-CFP) - Wisconsin
2018 (Citrus) - Penn State

Bama or Tennessee...either way someone's playing Rocky Top at the game.

For winning the game’s sake I hope for Tennessee. Alabama and Arburn is like a buzz kill or death sentence. Especially without Faalele and others.

Playing Bama would be our luck.

This team earned the right to play a “helmet school”. I hope it’s Alabama, Florida, or USC. Minnesota would be underdogs. But that’s nothing new.

Any bowl win is great. But a win over any of these three would be a game-changer and would likely put Minnesota in the preseason Top 20 next season (for the first time in ...?).

For winning the game’s sake I hope for Tennessee. Alabama and Arburn is like a buzz kill or death sentence. Especially without Faalele and others.
Thank God you are not the coach.

Classic defeatist fan attitude. We shouldn’t be afraid of anyone, do you think PSU fans are afraid to play anyone?

Also, any bowl win helps, period. This nonsense of losing to Bama is better than winning against a lesser team is silly.

I knew a person who in Black Jack would double down on 12 all the time. He called it "going for the glory".

Top Bottom