All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Hey - in my book, mock drafts are "for amusement purposes only." but they do reveal something about how different players are perceived by the media. whatever you think about the media - even if you think everything they write is "clickbait," media members do have access to decision-makers. they do have sources.

and the point - I am seeing McCarthy now being mocked consistently as the #4 QB in the draft. and a lot of mocks have Penix and Nix falling out of the 1st round.

So - IF the Vikes want McCarthy, it's possible they might have to trade up to ensure they land him. BUT - if the Vikes want to go defense with the 1st pick, it's also possible that Penix or Nix might be available in the 2nd round.

it all comes down to how the Vikes have the QB's rated. If they see McCarthy as clearly better than Penix and Nix, then he should be the guy. But, if the Vikes see Penix or Nix as comparable to McCarthy, then maybe they can wait until the 2nd round to grab a QB.
If they want Penix or Nix, they better trade up into the second half of the first round so they can secure a 5 year contract and make sure nobody takes them

Pat McAfee just opened his show with Mike Florio reporting that Cousins is house hunting in the ATL @MplsGopher

Then he went down my lane and spent 4 minutes on why Russ to the Vikes makes perfect sense. The NFL minimum is $1.15M.

So, this just proves never to take anything I post on here seriously 🥸
Russ makes no sense. He doesn't fit in with the offense.

I'm guessing scholarship donations are money out the window, never to be seen again.
Pretty much, other than the Gopher points they are worth, which is not much.

There is the altruistic value of assisting others with their academic pursuit as to simply adding to the Wilfs or Davis coffers. Obviously in the eye of the beholder.

At some point, get a room!

OR

just admit you each think the other is a poster doofus and move along little 🐶
Point taken that horse was beat to death (as often is the case), but c'mon "the Vets making it to a SB with another franchise" retort was at least a bit original.

Throw me a bone.

Point taken that horse was beat to death (as often is the case), but c'mon "the Vets making it to a SB with another franchise" retort was at least a bit original.

Throw me a bone.
🦴🦴

I like Kirk Cousins and my preference would be to bring him back at the right price and term. But the gulf between the team and players seems to be the length of the contract and guaranteed money. Most observers think a two year fully guaranteed deal for $60-$80 million would be reasonable. Cousins might be looking for three or four years, at that rate, guaranteed. If so, the best of luck to Kirk.

I saw scuttlebutt the other day about a Jefferson deal at $30 million/year but the term wasn't disclosed. The Mike Evans deal may have reset those discussions. And if Kirk is gone, does JJ want to stick? If not, I'd look to move him and other players for draft capital and start over.

I like Kirk Cousins and my preference would be to bring him back at the right price and term. But the gulf between the team and players seems to be the length of the contract and guaranteed money. Most observers think a two year fully guaranteed deal for $60-$80 million would be reasonable. Cousins might be looking for three or four years, at that rate, guaranteed. If so, the best of luck to Kirk.
Blank was ready to sign Watson, until Cleveland out bid him.

He’s 81, so he’s on the clock for his SB 💍
I saw scuttlebutt the other day about a Jefferson deal at $30 million/year but the term wasn't disclosed. The Mike Evans deal may have reset those discussions. And if Kirk is gone, does JJ want to stick? If not, I'd look to move him and other players for draft capital and start over.

Several ways, more corporations could pony up rather than regular fans. Ticket brokers and those that agreed to the prices could have bought them and then sell them to visiting fans.

There were several games this year when it looked like more than 30% visiting fans. Chiefs looked closer to 50-50. I bet when the Lions come to town in 2024 it will be similar.
So you'd rather they still played in a 42 year-old Metrodome?

Not sure about that. KOC loves to throw downfield and his arm is fine. He seems to have more issues on short/intermediate stuff these days.
No. Wilson's average depth of target is pathetic. He couldn't throw downfield at the end of his Seahawks run either.

Moreover, O'Connell runs a timing passing scheme. Wilson doesn't do that. He doesn't have those skills. His game was extending plays and breaking down a defense with his speed and agility. He's slow and much less agile now, which is why he's been cooked for 3 years. He's only going to get worse, and he takes tons of sacks.

You've been on the Wilson bandwagon for 3 or 4 years. Time to get off. He's terrible, has been for years, and it's not going to get better.

The starting QB next year will be a 1st Round draft pick or some cheap journeyman that fits the scheme.

So you'd rather they still played in a 42 year-old Metrodome?

I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. That building was not sustainable with literally a collapsing roof.

The Seat Licenses were not necessary for a largely public financed edifice. The conversation started as a response to MPLSGophers condescending remark about "TV Only" fans having no skin in the game and pointing out that for some it's because they were priced out.

All separate from that, me personally I don't like the Ziggy Dome including among other things the concourse set up, the game day experience with the Skol chant, poor concessions and sky rocketing ticket/parking prices. Not that I can't afford it, it's just the value of the experience does not justify the prices for me.

The time commitment I have for the Gopher games eats up enough of my leisure time, that I'm good on passing up the chance to go on Sundays. I would rather golf in the morning then watch in HD.

I went to 1-2 Viking games essentially every year from 1983 - 2015. Only been to the new stadium twice to see them (none since 2018). I'm good.

Still I'm glad it was built, otherwise it would likely be the LA Vikings.

Last edited:

I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. That building was not sustainable with literally a collapsing roof.

The Seat Licenses were not necessary for a largely public financed edifice. The conversation started as a response to MPLSGophers condescending remark about "TV Only" fans having no skin in the game and pointing out that for some it's because they were priced out.

All separate from that, me personally I don't like the Ziggy Dome including among other things the concourse set up, the game day experience with the Skol chant, poor concessions and sky rocketing ticket/parking prices. Not that I can't afford it, it's just the value of the experience does not justify the prices for me.

The time commitment I have for the Gopher games eats up enough of my leisure time, that I'm good on passing up the chance to go on Sundays. I would rather golf in the morning then watch in HD.

I went to 1-2 Viking games essentially every year from 1983 - 2015. Only been to the new stadium twice to see them (none since 2018). I'm good.

Still I'm glad it was built, otherwise it would likely be the LA Vikings.
Fair enough. I don't necessarily disagree, but I would say US Bank is about par for the course as far as NFL stadiums go for cost etc. and is nicer than most others, so I don't really get having a specific beef with it or the Wilfs vs other NFL cities.

But I agree that NFL is the worst in person experience IMO and you are better off watching on TV most of the time.

No. Wilson's average depth of target is pathetic. He couldn't throw downfield at the end of his Seahawks run either.

Moreover, O'Connell runs a timing passing scheme. Wilson doesn't do that. He doesn't have those skills. His game was extending plays and breaking down a defense with his speed and agility. He's slow and much less agile now, which is why he's been cooked for 3 years. He's only going to get worse, and he takes tons of sacks.

You've been on the Wilson bandwagon for 3 or 4 years. Time to get off. He's terrible, has been for years, and it's not going to get better.

The starting QB next year will be a 1st Round draft pick or some cheap journeyman that fits the scheme.
If you watch the Broncos games, his arms strength was not the issue, they just rarely threw down field. But you're probably right that KOC seems to hate playing off schedule, which is Wilson's strength. That's why he couldn't make it work better with Dobbs.

I'm not advocating Wilson as any long-term solution. Only as a one year option.

Fair enough. I don't necessarily disagree, but I would say US Bank is about par for the course as far as NFL stadiums go for cost etc. and is nicer than most others, so I don't really get having a specific beef with it or the Wilfs vs other NFL cities.

But I agree that NFL is the worst in person experience IMO and you are better off watching on TV most of the time.

Again, that part is not a beef with the Wilfs but pointing out that many Vikings fans were priced out thus turned into "TV only fans". I get why the Wilfs did it. They could and they got their ticket buyers anyway.

Regarding how nice it is, I can only say that I prefer the Vegas stadium itself compared to the Vikings. Been there 3 times for the Pac12 Championship game. Just a better experience entering in, walking around, getting food/beverages and getting to the bathroom.

If the Vikings palace was more like that, I would be more tempted to shell out and go to a game (especially in December-January after the Gophers were done and the golf courses are closed).

Scheffler said he feels that Cousins will easily get the largest contract 💰 this cycle.

That will exceed $100M, easily.

Scheffler also said the market for Fields is less than robust.

Last edited:

NDSU Trey Lance leading the Vikings to their First Super Bowl Win ever? Sign me up

NFL NETWORKS RICH EISEN SAID IT ON HIS PODCAST AS #1 rumor her heard at combine
By capitalizing it, does that give more credibility to the rumor? Improve carpal tunnel? Eliminate the need for reading glasses?

Scheffler on NFL Live just said he projects to ~$24M per year.
This guy and then drafting the defensive tackle from Texas gives me goosebumps.

Pressure up the middle and stopping 7 yards runs........damn!

oh shit, we need to draft a qb.

oh shit, we need to draft a qb.
2nd round perfectly good for Penix or Nix.

Flores getting a lot of say for coming back. Will demand defense with first pick, as should have been last year too.

Vikings won't be able to (or willing -- correct) get into the top 3, and therefore should not be spending first round pick on a QB.

Mike Florio reporting that Cousins is house hunting in the ATL 🥸
Florio and Seifert are more usual Vikings guys, and probably pissed that they got scooped by a non-Vikings guy.

Pushing over small children to get on the clickbait gravy train.

OOOOOooooOOOooo!! He's looking at houses in Atlanta!!!

LOL, so??? Literally the easiest, zero effort move to put pressure on the Vikings. And also a perfectly good contingency.

me personally I don't like the Ziggy Dome including among other things the concourse set up, the game day experience with the Skol chant, poor concessions and sky rocketing ticket/parking prices.
:rolleyes:

Another fake take. Universally lauded as one of the best in the NFL.

Sure, sure. You just be a grumpy old fart.

(The concessions are the only fair point you made. They're not that great anymore, and very expensive. So is everything in the world right now.)

2nd round perfectly good for Penix or Nix.

Flores getting a lot of say for coming back. Will demand defense with first pick, as should have been last year too.

Vikings won't be able to (or willing -- correct) get into the top 3, and therefore should not be spending first round pick on a QB.
Vikings have what it take to get into the top 3 and yes Washington is thinking of trading down from the number 2 pick. New England is most likely QB. But Washington is not a sure bet to keep the 2 pick. Vikings need to spend the 1st round pick on a QB and not on defense ok. Seriously.

Just a better experience entering in, walking around, getting food/beverages and getting to the bathroom.
:sneaky:

Like 0.1% of the total experience of going to an NFL game.

Top Bottom