All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Would have in 22 with Flores instead of jackass Donatell.

2022 vs Giants, 4th and 8 at MIN 48:

(1:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to T.Hockenson to NYG 49 for 3 yards (X.McKinney).

Ball turned over on downs, Vikes lose 31-24.

Hard to pin that loss all on Donatell.

apparently today's talking point is that the Vikings might/should consider picking up Russell Wilson on a 1-year deal as a bridge QB. Vikes would only have to pay him $1.2-million.

under this theory, KOC is the QB guru who could find a way to help Wilson play at a competent level while they get the rookie QB ready.

part of this theory includes the supposition that KOC would prefer for a rookie QB to watch and learn for a year instead of throwing him in as an immediate starter.

sounds like this is another Mike Florio - Pro Football Talk special.

(I know people track planes for possible coaching changes - is there any way to track moving vans to see if a van is going from the Twin Cities to Atlanta? just wondering......)

apparently today's talking point is that the Vikings might/should consider picking up Russell Wilson on a 1-year deal as a bridge QB. Vikes would only have to pay him $1.2-million.

under this theory, KOC is the QB guru who could find a way to help Wilson play at a competent level while they get the rookie QB ready.

part of this theory includes the supposition that KOC would prefer for a rookie QB to watch and learn for a year instead of throwing him in as an immediate starter.

(I know people track planes for possible coaching changes - is there any way to track moving vans to see if a van is going from the Twin Cities to Atlanta? just wondering......)
If they go the bridge QB route then it should be a guy that is willing to mentor the rookie too. Not all veterans are willing to do that.

Otherwise, I'd rather the rookie just get his feet wet right away.

I don't believe anybody would endorse Russell Wilson as the mentoring type. In addition if he's going to sign for the veteran minimum he's going to want assurances he's the starter...not something I'd want to guarantee for Russell as the coach either.

I don't believe anybody would endorse Russell Wilson as the mentoring type. In addition if he's going to sign for the veteran minimum he's going to want assurances he's the starter...not something I'd want to guarantee for Russell as the coach either.
I would also guess he isn't. Just speculating of course.

If they go the bridge QB route then it should be a guy that is willing to mentor the rookie too. Not all veterans are willing to do that.

Three names specifically written who would be a bridge and a mentor according to an article in The Athletic are: Darnold, Brissett or Tannehill.

Last edited:

Bills just released -

Tre’Darvius White, 2 time Pro Bowler. Tore his achilles this year in week 4.

Also Jordon Poyer, All Pro safety, released as well.

I hope we make some deft moves to upgrade the secondary.

Last edited:

Three names specifically written who would be a bridge and a mentor according to an article in The Athletic are: Darnold, Brissett or Tannehill.
Meh. Give me Darnold from that group. At least there's some unknown/upside left. Rather have Drew Lock than any of the above.

2022 vs Giants, 4th and 8 at MIN 48:

(1:44 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass short right to T.Hockenson to NYG 49 for 3 yards (X.McKinney).

Ball turned over on downs, Vikes lose 31-24.

Hard to pin that loss all on Donatell.
That's a bad decision by Cousins but I would venture that teams lose more often than they win when giving up 31 points in the playoffs.

Isn't Butthole Eyes Payton supposed to be a QB guru? I wouldn't have any problems rolling the dice on Wilson if Cousins does indeed move to Atlanta (or elsewhere) if he isn't a cancer. In that scenario the presumption is the Vikings are drafting a QB and the reality is that very few QBs are league ready. But if Cousins is gone, I'd probably look at liquidating the high end and expensive talent on this team, including JJ and acquiring more picks, rather than playing to win in 2024. Instead, play to win in 26 and 27. But does a Wilson fit into a rebuild scenario? Probably not. I personally think he's washed up but maybe he's got something left.

I don't really think it's on the veteran QB to mentor the young QB. They are competing for their career as well. I think you mentor by your actions and the coach builds up the QB. This is how it was with Favre and Rodgers, then Rodgers with Love.

If we trade up into the top 3, I think you absolutely just hand over the keys. If we grab someone at #11 or second round, I think you bring on the veteran and make them compete.

Isn't Butthole Eyes Payton supposed to be a QB guru? I wouldn't have any problems rolling the dice on Wilson if Cousins does indeed move to Atlanta (or elsewhere) if he isn't a cancer. In that scenario the presumption is the Vikings are drafting a QB and the reality is that very few QBs are league ready. But if Cousins is gone, I'd probably look at liquidating the high end and expensive talent on this team, including JJ and acquiring more picks, rather than playing to win in 2024. Instead, play to win in 26 and 27. But does a Wilson fit into a rebuild scenario? Probably not. I personally think he's washed up but maybe he's got something left.
Why JJ? He was drafted so young that he is practically on the same timeline as a rookie QB. It feels like the first thing we'll be looking to do after we trade JJ is hope to find a #1 receiver.

JJ is younger than Darrisaw, he is a year older than Penix and Bo Nix.

Especially with the salary cap jumping $30 million in 2024, I think you lock up JJ and build around him and the new QB.

Kirk is incredibly popular around here. Sells jerseys. Sells tickets.

JJ is even more so.

If you think Wilfs are just going to throw bales of cash into a bonfire by getting rid of both .... you're either insane or you haven't a F'ing clue how the business of the NFL works.

Last edited:

Which is why Jackson is so grossly overrated.

And yet, he has largely not produced in the playoffs when it matters.
"If a team loses a playoff game, it's the QB's fault." -- massive fake take

"An MVP/OPOY QB actually sucks if he doesn't win in the playoffs." -- up there with the biggest fake takes in sports

Your answer to does Cousins win you games was this:

Was playing at offensive player of the year level before injury.
That is the self-evident answer.

If you're not a dishonest troll.

Vikings owner Mark Wilf is noncommittal about Kirk Cousins after 2023

There nothing the Wilfs can do or are doing to stop the GM from moving on from Cousins.
The post you quoted was making a point about moving on from Cousins and JJ.

That is the self-evident answer.

If you're not a dishonest troll.
Interesting, because Myles Garrett won defensive player of the year with 14 sacks and playing the run well.

Hunter had 16 sacks and played the run well. Yet Hunter did little to win games.

Thus my question.

You see, Hunter was playing at a defensive player of the year level. Thanks man. I learn so much from you.

So I guess Cousins does win you games and Hunter does not.

I come here for the comedy.

Hunter had 16 sacks and played the run well.
Bolded is based on what?? You famously go on every football game thread and loudly pronounce that both lines played poorly.

Yet Hunter did little to win games.
He didn’t take over games, is what I said.

Hunter was playing at a defensive player of the year level.
Based on what??

Sacks are meaningless and don’t even necessarily halt opponents drives.

That's a bad decision by Cousins but I would venture that teams lose more often than they win when giving up 31 points in the playoffs.
I don't dispute the Vikings defense in 2022 was putrid. They probably would have been better under someone other than Donattel, but how much was on him and the overall talent is certainly debatable.

Even with how bad they were, when it came off down to making stops at the end of games they delivered. Multiple times. Detroit. Chicago. Buffalo. Indianapolis.

The 2023 team failed. Tampa. LA Chargers. Denver. Cincinnati. Chicago.

I certainly don't pin ALL of the blame on Cousins for the Giants loss. However, the Vikings had the ball 3 times late in the game with a chance to tie/take the lead. Those drives resulted in a FG, a Punt, and turnover loss of downs.

It wasn't all Donattel's fault.

Bolded is based on what?? You famously go on every football game thread and loudly pronounce that both lines played poorly.

He didn’t take over games, is what I said.

Based on what??

Sacks are meaningless and don’t even necessarily halt opponents drives.
Bolded is based on what my own eyes.

That defensive line without Hunter.......Holy Schit Balls, clown!

So there's no rule that prevented the Vikings from hiring an actual non-trash DC.
If it was so egregious then that decision maker should be canned. Who should the Vikings get to replace KOC? Too late to get Harbaugh...

Who else was available? He had done well at other places.

He absolutely bombed here
Well, Brian Flores was available as this would have been a better position than as LB Coach for the Steelers which he had in 2022. I'm sure any number of NCAA coordinators would have been qualified.

It's was on KOC & Kwesi to find someone that could handle the task. Not me.

Top Bottom