All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Some talking head brought up a good point yesterday. Jerry is so thrifty, he let Garrett coach his lame duck year, rather than pay the buyout.

Jeff Lurie is much less patient(cheap?). Cowboy Fans while obnoxious, aren’t psychotic like Fly 🦅 Fly are.

I think Jerry’s age may push him to make the move and especially if The 🦅 do, I’ll be surprised if he sits on his 🙌.

This is seemingly the most coaching talent and exciting Coaching Carousel 🎠 Ivan ever remember.
If I'm betting Ogee's money, I've got:

LAC - Belichick
SEA - Vrabel
WAS - Carroll
DAL - Harbaugh
PHI - Keeps Siriani
As far as the Eagles, the collapse was so epic and thorough starting 10-1 and finishing 11-7 with a 1st Round exit in which they were thrashed, I just don't see how Siriani survives that in a town like Philly.

They lost to some pretty bad teams down the stretch.

As far as the Eagles, the collapse was so epic and thorough starting 10-1 and finishing 11-7 with a 1st Round exit in which they were thrashed, I just don't see how Siriani survives that in a town like Philly.

There’s also lots of grousing from the locker room about how unorganized they are etc..

It's definitely looking like last year's DC and OC were carrying the mail for ol' Nick. Steichen seems like a pretty good coach in Indy and so far, I like what I've seen from J. Gannon in Arizona.

as far as this "JJ wants Kirk" deal --

OK gang, pop quiz. If you were a top NFL WR, who would you rather have as your QB:
1. Cousins 2. Nick Mullens, 3. Josh Dobbs 4. Jaren Hall

in that contest Cousins wins.

but if the poll becomes - who would you rather have as your QB, and the choices include
1. Cousins 2. Penix 3. Daniels 4. Nix

that is a different situation.

JJ - like any WR - wants a QB who is going to get him the ball without throwing it into the stands or throwing it to the other team. this idea that JJ would only play with Cousins is not realistic.

If the Vikes draft Penix, the first time Penix and JJ get on the field and Penix drops a deep ball over his shoulder, JJ will have a new favorite QB.

FWIW - Kirk Cousins Career Playoff Record == 1-4.

as far as this "JJ wants Kirk" deal --

OK gang, pop quiz. If you were a top NFL WR, who would you rather have as your QB:
1. Cousins 2. Nick Mullens, 3. Josh Dobbs 4. Jaren Hall

in that contest Cousins wins.

but if the poll becomes - who would you rather have as your QB, and the choices include
1. Cousins 2. Penix 3. Daniels 4. Nix

that is a different situation.

JJ - like any WR - wants a QB who is going to get him the ball without throwing it into the stands or throwing it to the other team. this idea that JJ would only play with Cousins is not realistic.

If the Vikes draft Penix, the first time Penix and JJ get on the field and Penix drops a deep ball over his shoulder, JJ will have a new favorite QB.

FWIW - Kirk Cousins Career Playoff Record == 1-4.

Hmmmmm. I wonder....

Kirk Cousins has some of the greatest stats of all time among QBs with at least 150 career games:

- 1.80 TDs/game: 5th all-time, trailing only Rodgers, Manning, Brees, and Brady.

- 263.1 yards/game: 6th all-time, behind Brees, Stafford, Manning, Ryan, and Brady.

- 98.2 passer rating: 4th all-time, after Rodgers, Wilson, and Brees.

I like Cousins as a QB, I do not think he is great. We have paid him a crazy amount of money and we have one playoff victory to show for it. He is probably the 10th to 15th ranked QB in the NFL.
CJ Stroud and Jordan Love have the same number of playoff victories as Cousins. Baker Mayfield has more playoff victories than Cousins.

Fans like to tout his impressive stats, but remember that Nick Mullens threw for 396 and 411 yards in games this year. Cousins has to win, and that has not happened in his career. Not sure how many more years we can boast about Cousins great stats, and not have a winning team.

Cousins has been a good to very good QB. However, his two most remarkable accomplishments have taken place off of the field. The first has been the way he and his agent have so adroitly handled his contract situations along the way. Masterful. Secondly, his role in the Netflix "Quarterbacks" series last summer completely changed the public's perception of him. Goodwill is hugely important for any public figure and Cousins garnered a ton of it by being profiled in that series.

It's a really tough call but I think the Vikings should swallow very hard and not sign him this year. He's not going to sign for less than $35M/year and he's not a post season QB. That money is better spent elsewhere on the roster. Time to start over with Daniels, if they can move up, or Nix.

At home against Flacco led Browns? :sneaky:

Who knew Dallas would collapse like that?

Cousins would've won those games too
Flacco wasn't on the field when Stroud put up 31 points on the Browns defense with an almost perfect passer rating.

Love made the Cowboys defense look like Vikings on NYE.

With an elite o-line I think Kirk is a top 5 QB, with a bad line, probably not in the top 20. I feel like we have a fairly decent line and that makes Kirk around the 10th best in my opinion.

but the decision on Kirk does not happen in a vacuum. what you do at QB impacts cap space, which impacts other positions.

JJ wants to be the highest paid non-QB in the NFL. if JJ gets his money, it's virtually impossible to bring back Kirk + bring back Hunter + give Darrisaw an extension + fill holes at other positions.

bringing back Kirk doesn't help the team win if the team is weaker at other positions.

it's not as simple as "we like Kirk." it's a question of whether the Vikes can afford Kirk and also afford to improve the roster. if they can't improve the roster, bringing back Kirk doesn't solve all the other problems.

FWIW -

The Athletic’s latest mock draft shows us taking a Dak in the first and second rounds.

Flacco wasn't on the field when Stroud put up 31 points on the Browns defense with an almost perfect passer rating.
So? The state quoted was wins.

No QB, including Cousins, needed to be perfect at home against that Browns team.

Love made the Cowboys defense look like Vikings on NYE.
Receivers running wide up, just like against the Vikings?

LOL no. That's blown defenses.

Cousins can throw to wide open receivers too.

He's not going to sign for less than $35M/year and he's not a post season QB.
Would've been this year, if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Prove me wrong.

He will be brought back. I am glad :)

JJ wants to be the highest paid non-QB in the NFL. if JJ gets his money, it's virtually impossible to bring back Kirk + bring back Hunter + give Darrisaw an extension + fill holes at other positions.
This isn't any kind of valuable point to bring up.

All teams make sacrifices under the NFL cap. That's the point of it!

No team can plug all holes with expensive vets. That's the point of it!

You have to draft well. No matter what. Nothing you ever try to do will ever work, unless you draft well. End of story

Would've been this year, if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Prove me wrong.

He will be brought back. I am glad :)
Bringing him back isn't necessarily the wrong decision. It's just not the best overall decision for the franchise.

I can't prove you wrong but the record can. Cousins is 1-4 in the playoffs.

Some folks here love the idea of letting Cousins walk and going with a rookie QB. Save money to use at other positions!

Would these same folks consider trading JJ and drafting a rookie WR — to save money (and gain draft picks) to use at other positions?

On the one hand, JJ is younger and would play here longer than Cousins.

On the other hand, which position is harder to fill by drafting a rookie: QB or WR?

Last edited:

Cousins has been a good to very good QB. However, his two most remarkable accomplishments have taken place off of the field. The first has been the way he and his agent have so adroitly handled his contract situations along the way. Masterful. Secondly, his role in the Netflix "Quarterbacks" series last summer completely changed the public's perception of him. Goodwill is hugely important for any public figure and Cousins garnered a ton of it by being profiled in that series.

It's a really tough call but I think the Vikings should swallow very hard and not sign him this year. He's not going to sign for less than $35M/year and he's not a post season QB. That money is better spent elsewhere on the roster. Time to start over with Daniels, if they can move up, or Nix.
The $35 million is only a $7 million hit over the $28 million dead money hit that the Vikings would get if Cousins walks.

So? The state quoted was wins.

No QB, including Cousins, needed to be perfect at home against that Browns team.

Receivers running wide up, just like against the Vikings?

LOL no. That's blown defenses.

Cousins can throw to wide open receivers too.
Fair or not, my lasting memory of Kirk Cousins in the Playoffs is in fact his last post season pass against the NY Giants. 4th and 8 in a do or die drive and he threw a 3 yd check down to Hockenson.

If he couldn't beat Daniel Jones, I have not idea why you are confident Cousins would beat Flacco in a playoff matchup with a pretty formidable Browns defense (ranked 6th by some metrics).

The Vikings were only a pedestrian 4-4 with Kirk in the 2023 line-up.

I'm not really trying to build a case either way for re-signing Kirk or letting him go. I think with their poor running attack and defensive shortcoming down the stretch, I'm hard pressed to think it matters whether they resign him or not.

Fair or not, my lasting memory of Kirk Cousins in the Playoffs is in fact his last post season pass against the NY Giants. 4th and 8 in a do or die drive and he threw a 3 yd check down to Hockenson.

If he couldn't beat Daniel Jones, I have not idea why you are confident Cousins would beat Flacco in a playoff matchup with a pretty formidable Browns defense (ranked 6th by some metrics).

The Vikings were only a pedestrian 4-4 with Kirk in the 2023 line-up.

I'm not really trying to build a case either way for re-signing Kirk or letting him go. I think with their poor running attack and defensive shortcoming down the stretch, I'm hard pressed to think it matters whether they resign him or not.

With any QB, a team's wins and losses are... 100% on the QB? Gee, I sure don't think so.

Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton never "won" Super Bowls.

Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler "won" Super Bowls.

The $35 million is only a $7 million hit over the $28 million dead money hit that the Vikings would get if Cousins walks.
That factor plus KOC and Kwesi heading into to their 3rd year of 4 year contracts, has me inclined to think they will bring Cousins back.

Last edited:

With any QB, a team's wins and losses are... 100% on the QB? I sure don't think so.

Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton never "won" Super Bowls.

Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler "won" Super Bowls.
I don't think so either, fully agree. Brad Johnson also won a Super Bowl, solid game manager with a really good/great defense.

My statements were in response to MPLS comments who was sure Cousins would have the same success as Stroud & Love. The team around Cousins is much different, which now doubt can have a much bigger impact than his own playing ability.

Bringing him back isn't necessarily the wrong decision. It's just not the best overall decision for the franchise.

I can't prove you wrong but the record can. Cousins is 1-4 in the playoffs.
He’s actually 1-3 but his numbers as a starter in the playoffs are better than his regular season career numbers. More than anything that once again shows how dumb records are for QBs.

He’s actually 1-3 but his numbers as a starter in the playoffs are better than his regular season career numbers. More than anything that once again shows how dumb records are for QBs.

Yes. There's a paradox of sorts.

On the one hand, wins and losses flow from team performance.

On the other hand, QB is one of the most, if not the most, important position in football.

Top Bottom