All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Bringing him back isn't necessarily the wrong decision. It's just not the best overall decision for the franchise.

I can't prove you wrong but the record can. Cousins is 1-4 in the playoffs.

What will it mean if the Vikings draft a QB, start him, and fail to make the playoffs?

Will that mean the rookie is a failure? You seem to be saying that wins and losses should be solely attributed to the QB.

Some folks here love the idea of letting Cousins walk and going with a rookie QB. Save money to use at other positions!

Would these same folks consider trading JJ and drafting a rookie WR — to save money (and gain draft picks) to use at other positions?

On the one hand, JJ is younger and would play here longer than Cousins.

On the other hand, which position is harder to fill by drafting a rookie: QB or WR?

Honestly - Yes, I would consider trading JJ.

with this explanation:

the Vikes are a long way from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender. they have been stuck in the middle for years. IMHO what they have been doing is not working. So they need to take a different approach. as tough as it might be for some to accept, I would tear it down and start over. Let Kirk Walk. trade JJ for picks. rebuild the team around a rookie QB, with Addison the top WR. try to get younger and less expensive at every position. take your lumps for a couple of years and bring in multiple high draft picks as the new core of the team. create cap space with no dead money. reposition the team for the future with a new philosophy.

the Vikes are not going anywhere. they are stuck in neutral. they are treading water. so I say burn it down to the ground and start from scratch. and tell the fans exactly what you are doing and why.

The $35 million is only a $7 million hit over the $28 million dead money hit that the Vikings would get if Cousins walks.
Re-signing Kirk doesn't make the dead money cap hit go away, it just kicks it to 2026/2027. They need to move on and stop kicking the can. Kirk is 36 and we are not Super Bowl contenders. He should go somewhere that is and we should move on to finding our long-term QB.

That factor plus KOC and Kwesi heading into to their 3rd year of 4 year contracts, has me inclined to think they will bring Cousins back.
Drafting a rookie QB probably buys them two years though. Bringing back Kirk to go 8-9 might not.

Honestly - Yes, I would consider trading JJ.

with this explanation:

the Vikes are a long way from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender. they have been stuck in the middle for years. IMHO what they have been doing is not working. So they need to take a different approach. as tough as it might be for some to accept, I would tear it down and start over. Let Kirk Walk. trade JJ for picks. rebuild the team around a rookie QB, with Addison the top WR. try to get younger and less expensive at every position. take your lumps for a couple of years and bring in multiple high draft picks as the new core of the team. create cap space with no dead money. reposition the team for the future with a new philosophy.

the Vikes are not going anywhere. they are stuck in neutral. they are treading water. so I say burn it down to the ground and start from scratch. and tell the fans exactly what you are doing and why.
the day they traded a 2nd round pick for hok was the day they screwed themselves.

Look, I really like Hok. In a vacuum, great trade. But you knew you had to pay him big $$$, so you traded a rookie deal for an expensive one knowing that you were going to have to send the brinks truck to JJ. Puts them in a really tough spot. One of Kirk, JJ, or Hunter has to go.

Drafting a rookie QB probably buys them two years though. Bringing back Kirk to go 8-9 might not.
Sure, it buys them 2 years but that's a tremendous amount of pressure on Year 4 to get to Year 5 (and beyond).

There's risk either way. Just saying tear downs normally don't occur when the decision makers only have 2 years left on their deals.

I would love to build an ELITE offensive line. If you have one, and an above average defense, you can win big with fairly average QB.

the day they traded a 2nd round pick for hok was the day they screwed themselves.

Look, I really like Hok. In a vacuum, great trade. But you knew you had to pay him big $$$, so you traded a rookie deal for an expensive one knowing that you were going to have to send the brinks truck to JJ. Puts them in a really tough spot. One of Kirk, JJ, or Hunter has to go.
LaPorta is arguably better. Bring the contracts into play and it's obvious.

I would love to build an ELITE offensive line. If you have one, and an above average defense, you can win big with fairly average QB.
Sounds like the 49ers formula with Brock Purdy.

Gotta bring back Hunter and Kirko - sell out to win next year. If he doesnt work burn it down.

What will it mean if the Vikings draft a QB, start him, and fail to make the playoffs?

Will that mean the rookie is a failure? You seem to be saying that wins and losses should be solely attributed to the QB.
The QB in the modern NFL is not allocated 1/22nd (or 1/53rd) of the blame for losses and the credit for victories. That's how it works.

Rumors circulating that Belichick to ATL is close to happening.

Bringing him back isn't necessarily the wrong decision. It's just not the best overall decision for the franchise.
Disagree. It is the overall best.

Draft a QB, let him learn behind Cousins how KOC's system works. Correct. Green Bay proves it.

I can't prove you wrong but the record can. Cousins is 1-4 in the playoffs.
No, I said this year. All previous years were irrelevant to how well Cousins was playing this year when he got hurt. We'll never know, but I think he wins minimum two playoff games this year if he doesn't.

Gotta bring back Hunter and Kirko - sell out to win next year. If he doesnt work burn it down.
I'm out on Hunter.

Everyone crows about 16.5 sacks.

So what? How many games did he dominate? How many games did he change the way the offense played?

I'm glad he had 16.5 personal moments of glory. Good for him. I bet half of those, at least, didn't matter even on that drive. Let alone change the outcome of the game.

Gets a sack on 2nd down. Then 3rd down they convert a first down. == Sack was absolutely irrelevant.

The QB in the modern NFL is not allocated 1/22nd (or 1/53rd) of the blame for losses and the credit for victories. That's how it works.

I'll ask the question again:

If the Vikings draft a QB, and make him the starter in 2024, and the Vikings then fail to make the playoffs, will the blamers place the blame on the rookie? He's a rookie, but he's also the QB, after all. Wins and losses are the responsibility of the QB (apparently).

If the Vikings with their new QB fail to make the playoffs in '24, and the blamers blame said rookie QB, will the blamers then demand that the team draft yet another rookie QB the following season, in order to replace the 'failed' rookie from the previous draft? After all, the QB is responsible for the team's won-loss record (according to some). So the '24 rookie is obviously a failure.

The Vikings could follow that path and be just like the Carolina Panthers.

I'll ask the question again:

If the Vikings draft a QB, and make him the starter in 2024, and the Vikings then fail to make the playoffs, will the blamers place the blame on the rookie? He's a rookie, but he's also the QB, after all. Wins and losses are the responsibility of the QB (apparently).

If the Vikings with their new QB fail to make the playoffs in '24, and the blamers blame said rookie QB, will the blamers then demand that the team draft yet another rookie QB the following season, in order to replace the 'failed' rookie from the previous draft? After all, the QB is responsible for the team's won-loss record (according to some). So the '24 rookie is obviously a failure.

The Vikings could follow that path and be just like the Carolina Panthers.
11. Michael Penix, Jr.
43. Bo Nix

That should cover us for the next two (2) years.

11. Michael Penix, Jr.
43. Bo Nix

Good call! Draft lots of QBs.

Then, on the first day of training camp, have a contest to see who can throw the farthest. Longest pass of the day wins you the starting QB job in Week 1.

That, or simply ask the wide receivers to vote, and let them pick a starter for you.

Good call! Draft lots of QBs.

Then, on the first day of training camp, have a contest to see who can throw the farthest. Longest pass of the day wins you the starting QB job in Week 1.

That, or simply ask the wide receivers to vote, and let them pick a starter for you.
As rookies, whoever brings the best doughnuts that week gets the nod.

11. Michael Penix, Jr.
43. Bo Nix

If they drafted Penix at #11, I would honestly think long and hard about cheering for that franchise ever again. That would be galactically stupid.
Rumors circulating that Belichick to ATL is close to happening.

Of course!! It's a no-brainer. For Bill, coaching in the horrible NFC South is likely the fastest way for him to get the wins he needs to pass Don Shula for #1 all-time. And it's warm weather, and an owner that won't screw with him too much.

Top Bottom