All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Woof. Those are bad. I haven't minded the previous "color rush" jerseys. But yeah, these are bad. Even just changing the Viking horn to purple could have gone a long way.

On a side note, looks like Pace has changed his # to 0.
The whole "Winter Warrior" aspect seems like a joke for a team that has played it's home games in a Dome for 40 out of the last 42 seasons.

The one outdoor playoff game during that interlude was played in sub-zero temps and they lost to a team from the West Coast.

The whole "Winter Warrior" aspect seems like a joke for a team that has played it's home games in a Dome for 40 out of the last 42 seasons.

The one outdoor playoff game during that interlude was played in sub-zero temps and they lost to a team from the West Coast.
Thanks for reviving that memory on a Friday morning.....

I offer this more for amusement. I'm seeing several national outlets saying McCarthy is struggling at mini-camp and could be a bust.

some quotes:

Vikings' JJ McCarthy struggles in minicamp. Is he NFL-ready?

Latest JJ McCarthy report from Vikings Minicamp is incredibly embarrassing.

Vikings QB is reportedly struggling with accuracy in minicamp.

Troubling news for MN Vikings Rookie QB surfaces after practice.

JJ McHandoff on the Struggle Bus

Worrying Update on JJ McCarthy paints Grim picture.

---a lot of this seems to be aggregators riffing off the same reports that McCarthy did not throw the ball well in a red-zone period during practice.

I offer this more for amusement. I'm seeing several national outlets saying McCarthy is struggling at mini-camp and could be a bust.

some quotes:

---a lot of this seems to be aggregators riffing off the same reports that McCarthy did not throw the ball well in a red-zone period during practice.
I haven't been on board with the McCarthy selection for months, but anyone calling him "JJ McHandoff" likely isn't an unbiased source.

some quotes:

I didn't want McCarthy in the first place.....but it's way premature to draw any conclusions. Especially since nobody expected him to be the starter this year.

some quotes:

Along with some of this, plenty of comments here and there that Darnold has looked pretty damn good. Again, it's shorts and helmets, but I've been saying for a while, Darnold is going to hold down that starting gig for the Vikings for probably the entire season and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

When you hear ever since the draft that they have all these progressive benchmarks that JJM is going to have to hit before he moves on to the next one, mastering each along the way, it should come as no surprise that it will take something fairly catastrophic with Darnold or something else for them to thrust JJM into the starting role.

I'm actually looking forward more to seeing how Darnold plays for the Vikings this year than JJM. Crazy, crazy, crazy, I know....

some quotes:

Click Bait

Along with some of this, plenty of comments here and there that Darnold has looked pretty damn good. Again, it's shorts and helmets, but I've been saying for a while, Darnold is going to hold down that starting gig for the Vikings for probably the entire season and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.

When you hear ever since the draft that they have all these progressive benchmarks that JJM is going to have to hit before he moves on to the next one, mastering each along the way, it should come as no surprise that it will take something fairly catastrophic with Darnold or something else for them to thrust JJM into the starting role.

I'm actually looking forward more to seeing how Darnold plays for the Vikings this year than JJM. Crazy, crazy, crazy, I know....
I mean there is something wrong with that, it's that Darnold absolutely sucks.
But to your greater point of JJ likely sitting all or most of 2024, you are correct.

Crazier things have happened. Darnold will have a chance on a pretty talented team. Had he had a similar opportunity before?

Supposed castaways sometimes turn out in a better situation.

It also seems a bit late. 2015 called and wants the all white bit back.

Crazier things have happened. Darnold will have a chance on a pretty talented team. Had he had a similar opportunity before?

Supposed castaways sometimes turn out in a better situation.
He was a 1st round pick for a reason. You never know with the right situation. He's only started games on some pretty bad teams in his career.

The best WR he played with with the Jets was probably Crowder.

Agreed. I'm keeping an open mind on Darnold. He had horrific OLs and very few quality skill players around him at his previous two (2) stops. He had ZERO chance to succeed with the Jets.

to be sure, I am not knocking McCarthy. I believe that once the Vikes realized they were not going to be able to trade up high enough to get Maye or Daniels, the plan became this: get McCarthy and spend a year working to improve his mechanics and teach him the system. Darnold is a place-holder.

now, if Darnold plays well enough that the team can win 8, 9 or even 10 games and make the playoffs, great. that's a bonus. but that is not why he is here. Darnold is here to keep the seat warm until McCarthy is ready to take over. the take-over could happen at some point during this season, but more likely in 2025. Oh, BTW - 2025 is also when the Vikes will have a butt-load of cap room to add free agents and fill holes in the roster, along with whatever they add through the next draft.

the Vikes are like the Cylons - they have a plan.

Schefty reporting that the Niners, Colts and Jets all made calls about Jefferson. I'm curious how far the calls got and what the offers were like (if it got that far).

On a side note, we never did hear anything about the tampering investigation.

He was a 1st round pick for a reason. You never know with the right situation. He's only started games on some pretty bad teams in his career.

The best WR he played with with the Jets was probably Crowder.

This will absolutely be the best situation Darnold has ever been in, and as I said, also with a very positive coaching situation.

I hate betting futures because I hate having money sitting out there for months and months, but I absolutely hammered a JJ McCarthy prop bet; the current line right now for passing yards for JJM is O/U roughly 3100 yards. Holy crap, for JJM to throw for 3100 yards or more, he'd have to be starting by the first week of October, and play well. If he started Oct 6 in London against the Jets, he'd have to start every game the rest of the season and average 240 yds/game.

Come on, Sam Darnold!

Woof. Those are bad. I haven't minded the previous "color rush" jerseys. But yeah, these are bad. Even just changing the Viking horn to purple could have gone a long way.

On a side note, looks like Pace has changed his # to 0.
They only good thing is the white helmet. That's cool.

How is the team affected by tampering not compensated? At least make ATL give MN a 7th rounder or something nominal.

just a guess, but Cousins was a free agent. he wasn't under contract with the Vikings once the free agency period began. So - speculating - the NFL sees that as Atlanta violated the rules, but MN was not affected. It's not like other situations like how the Dolphins tampered with Brady because in that case, Brady was still under contract with the Patriots.

at least, that's how I see it.

just a guess, but Cousins was a free agent. he wasn't under contract with the Vikings once the free agency period began. So - speculating - the NFL sees that as Atlanta violated the rules, but MN was not affected. It's not like other situations like how the Dolphins tampered with Brady because in that case, Brady was still under contract with the Patriots.

at least, that's how I see it.
The tampering began before free agency started though. That's what made it tampering. The Vikings technically had an exclusive window to negotiate with him. They should at least get this 5th round pick.

The tampering began before free agency started though. That's what made it tampering. The Vikings technically had an exclusive window to negotiate with him. They should at least get this 5th round pick.
This. While we don't know for sure, the tampering could have caused Cousins to stop negotiating with the Vikings. Or demand more knowing Atlanta would give him what he wanted if the Vikings didn't.

It's a good time to have a young, cheap quarterback. I look forward to the Packers massively overpaying for Jordan Love.

I am guessing there is not going to be much protest from NFL Teams, because I would not be surprised if every other team is doing it to some degree, The Falcons only got caught because Cousins opened up his yapper at his press conference.

Giving the Vikings a 5th Round pick for someone they really did not want (at anywhere near what the Atlanta signed him for) just does not seem logical.

Given the Draft Day development, I am not sure the Falcons really want KC either.

Top Bottom