All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

3. What did McCown learn from Young’s transition from a highly successful Alabama career to an underwhelming rookie season in Carolina?

“There’s still a learning curve to this league,” McCown said. “So, it’s important to give yourself space to understand that and not put pressure or a level of expectations on them that are sometimes unattainable in year No. 1.”

McCown described McCarthy’s challenge as twofold: The offensive staff is teaching him a hefty volume of plays, and he simultaneously is having to apply those teachings against more complex defenses than he has ever faced. How you structure a practice to delicately balance the learning with the need for execution is the secret sauce.

Wednesday, McCown and McCarthy talked about feeling the pressure of grasping the offensive system while applying that knowledge against an ever-changing defense.

“That’s real,” McCown said. “That’s what it feels like (in a season).”

4. With Danielle Hunter having left for Houston, there are fewer Vikings players trotting across the practice fields who look like they could win a UFC heavyweight fight. One of them who does, however, is Jerry Tillery.

The Vikings signed the 2019 first-round pick as a potential pass-rush option on the interior. First-year defensive line coach Marcus Dixon discussed Tillery with one of his mentors, Giff Smith, who coached Tillery with the Chargers. Smith shared that Tillery is athletic, smart and committed to the team.

“You wouldn’t believe what he weighs (295 pounds) because he’s so lean,” Dixon said.

Tillery’s role remains uncertain. Harrison Phillips and Jonathan Bullard will likely man the interior defensive line spots on run-specific downs, but Tillery’s twitch might make sense in certain packages.

5. Left tackle Christian Darrisaw could have answered the question in a boring fashion, downplaying the talent of rookie edge rusher Dallas Turner. Instead, he said plainly, “I think Dallas is going to be special.”

Last week, Turner swiped and spun around one of Darrisaw’s O-line cohorts.

“It was one of those, like, ‘Holy (expletive),'” Darrisaw said. “A quick one.”

Darrisaw said that Turner’s spin looked even quicker than Hunter’s.

“Yes, quicker than Danielle’s,” Darrisaw said, nodding.

6. One of the most interesting Vikings prospects this summer is Levi Drake Rodriguez, the seventh-round pick from Texas A&M Commerce. If you want to know why, read my colleague, Kalyn Kahler, who wrote about Rodriguez as her “Prospect X” ahead of the draft.

Rodriguez arrives at the facility in the early, pitch-black hours of the morning before the Vikings staffers. He bounces around constantly during drills. He is a ball of energy, who Dixon said Wednesday “is going to be awesome. I think the future is bright for him.”

7. Akayleb Evans played outside cornerback for most of last week’s OTA practice available to media members, but second-year corner Mekhi Blackmon garnered most of the snaps Wednesday. After one pass breakup, he even jawed with receiver Brandon Powell, and Bynum stepped between them to break them up.

8. Before the Vikings began their red zone period Wednesday, they separated into groups. One of the groups focused on a specific quarterback-running back handoff from the shotgun. Only 28.4 percent of the Vikings’ runs in 2023 came from the shotgun, according to TruMedia. This number could increase heavily, but the Vikings could implement more play-action passing from the shotgun with two athletic quarterbacks in Darnold and McCarthy.

9. Without Justin Jefferson present, second-year pro Jordan Addison is manning most of the X receiver snaps. He simply looks different than the rest of the wideouts in the way he hinges off routes and glides across the field.

3. What did McCown learn from Young’s transition from a highly successful Alabama career to an underwhelming rookie season in Carolina?

“There’s still a learning curve to this league,” McCown said. “So, it’s important to give yourself space to understand that and not put pressure or a level of expectations on them that are sometimes unattainable in year No. 1.”

McCown described McCarthy’s challenge as twofold: The offensive staff is teaching him a hefty volume of plays, and he simultaneously is having to apply those teachings against more complex defenses than he has ever faced. How you structure a practice to delicately balance the learning with the need for execution is the secret sauce.

Wednesday, McCown and McCarthy talked about feeling the pressure of grasping the offensive system while applying that knowledge against an ever-changing defense.

“That’s real,” McCown said. “That’s what it feels like (in a season).”

4. With Danielle Hunter having left for Houston, there are fewer Vikings players trotting across the practice fields who look like they could win a UFC heavyweight fight. One of them who does, however, is Jerry Tillery.

The Vikings signed the 2019 first-round pick as a potential pass-rush option on the interior. First-year defensive line coach Marcus Dixon discussed Tillery with one of his mentors, Giff Smith, who coached Tillery with the Chargers. Smith shared that Tillery is athletic, smart and committed to the team.

“You wouldn’t believe what he weighs (295 pounds) because he’s so lean,” Dixon said.

Tillery’s role remains uncertain. Harrison Phillips and Jonathan Bullard will likely man the interior defensive line spots on run-specific downs, but Tillery’s twitch might make sense in certain packages.

5. Left tackle Christian Darrisaw could have answered the question in a boring fashion, downplaying the talent of rookie edge rusher Dallas Turner. Instead, he said plainly, “I think Dallas is going to be special.”

Last week, Turner swiped and spun around one of Darrisaw’s O-line cohorts.

“It was one of those, like, ‘Holy (expletive),'” Darrisaw said. “A quick one.”

Darrisaw said that Turner’s spin looked even quicker than Hunter’s.

“Yes, quicker than Danielle’s,” Darrisaw said, nodding.

6. One of the most interesting Vikings prospects this summer is Levi Drake Rodriguez, the seventh-round pick from Texas A&M Commerce. If you want to know why, read my colleague, Kalyn Kahler, who wrote about Rodriguez as her “Prospect X” ahead of the draft.

Rodriguez arrives at the facility in the early, pitch-black hours of the morning before the Vikings staffers. He bounces around constantly during drills. He is a ball of energy, who Dixon said Wednesday “is going to be awesome. I think the future is bright for him.”

7. Akayleb Evans played outside cornerback for most of last week’s OTA practice available to media members, but second-year corner Mekhi Blackmon garnered most of the snaps Wednesday. After one pass breakup, he even jawed with receiver Brandon Powell, and Bynum stepped between them to break them up.

8. Before the Vikings began their red zone period Wednesday, they separated into groups. One of the groups focused on a specific quarterback-running back handoff from the shotgun. Only 28.4 percent of the Vikings’ runs in 2023 came from the shotgun, according to TruMedia. This number could increase heavily, but the Vikings could implement more play-action passing from the shotgun with two athletic quarterbacks in Darnold and McCarthy.

9. Without Justin Jefferson present, second-year pro Jordan Addison is manning most of the X receiver snaps. He simply looks different than the rest of the wideouts in the way he hinges off routes and glides across the field.

Thanks and here are the first two -

1. Josh Metellus escaped the defensive backs meeting room Wednesday morning for a bathroom break. Before returning, he checked his phone, scrolled social media and saw the news: The Vikings had signed left guard Dalton Risner to a one-year contract.

Metellus returned to the meeting room and whispered the news to fellow safety Cam Bynum, who relayed the intel to Harrison Smith. By the time the meeting ended and all of the Vikings players flowed into the hallway, they were all aware.

Risner, 28, started 11 games last season for Minnesota. The Vikings signed him last September, and he replaced Ezra Cleveland in Week 7 against the San Francisco 49ers, which resulted in arguably the best pass-blocking performance in Kevin O’Connell’s tenure as head coach.

Pass protection is Risner’s specialty, and O’Connell’s affinity for the pass felt like a reason Minnesota would try to re-sign Risner shortly after the end of the season. At the time, Risner was seeking a sizable deal in the rising guard market. The Vikings were not willing to meet that price. Ultimately, Risner changed agents, signing with Drew Rosenhaus, who has several Vikings clients. The two sides agreed Wednesday on terms.

“Glad he’s back now,” Vikings left tackle Christian Darrisaw said. “I loved playing next to him.”

Risner has started 73 games, compared to just five for fellow guard Blake Brandel. If anything, Risner adds to the Vikings’ depth on the offense line. In the case of an injury, Brandel could step in. Also, if right guard Ed Ingram struggles, the Vikings have more reliable options to replace him than before Wednesday.

2. Josh McCown, the first-year Vikings quarterbacks coach, spoke to the media Wednesday for the first time since he was hired. Most of the questions revolved around rookie quarterback J.J. McCarthy, who McCown said first wowed him at Michigan’s pro day in late March.

McCown returned to Ann Arbor, Mich., wondering whether McCarthy could duplicate his performance in his private workout with the Vikings. He did.

“When we got him on the field,” McCown said, “it was like another version of his pro day, where you really felt like he was spinning the ball.”

McCarthy’s presence, scribbling plays the Vikings had asked him to master in the 24 hours before their meeting, also impressed McCown.

“You’re sitting in a classroom with a group of coaches,” McCown said. “It can be intimidating, and he held his own intellectually, relationally and emotionally.”

McCown weighed these interactions — and all of them, really — against the previous year’s experience. Working as the Carolina Panthers’ quarterbacks coach in 2023, McCown darted around the country alongside head coach Frank Reich and owner David Tepper, meeting with many of the top quarterback prospects in that class.

The Panthers settled on Bryce Young, which, alongside McCown’s nearly two decades of NFL playing experience, shaped his beliefs on what to identify in prospects (accuracy, arm strength, athleticism, coachability, field vision, etc.).

They’re going to play him on the DL.

The Buffalo Bills are adding an Olympic gold medalist to the roster in hopes that some of his championship prowess rubs off on the rest of the team.

Per reports Friday from ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Bills are signing Gable Steveson to a standard three-year rookie deal on his birthday. The team officially confirmed the signing shortly after the news broke.

Skol Vikes!!

I've been saying it for a while, I think this FO has a plan and they know what they are doing. Bitch about their drafting all you want, the draft is an inexact science; most everything else they've done has been a pretty damn solid move.

I've heard to be a really elite franchise, you need most, if not all of the big 4; Ownership, GM, Head Coach, Quarterback.

Ownership - I think the Wilfs are committed to winning and paying what it takes to do so

GM - It's still early, but I really like what I've seen out of Kwesi

HC - Like Kwesi, still early, but I like what we've seen from KOC

QB - Well that's the big question now, isn't it? I think Darnold starts and plays most of the year, but JJM gets some time.

To me, reason to be optimistic for 2025, no doubt.

according to Spotrac:

Jefferson's cap hit looks like this:
2024 - $8.5-mill -- 3.3% of team cap
2025- $15.3-mill -- 5.6% of team cap
2026 - $39.1-mill -- 13.3% of team cap
2027 - $43.3-mill -- 13.8% of team cap
2028 - $47.3-mill -- 14.1% of team cap
2029 - void year

ranked by average annual value as a % of the salary cap, Jefferson is now 19th overall among NFL players.

the first 15 are all QB's. then TJ Watt, Nick Bosa, Tyreek Hill and Jefferson.

according to Spotrac:

Jefferson's cap hit looks like this:
2024 - $8.5-mill -- 3.3% of team cap
2025- $15.3-mill -- 5.6% of team cap
2026 - $39.1-mill -- 13.3% of team cap
2027 - $43.3-mill -- 13.8% of team cap
2028 - $47.3-mill -- 14.1% of team cap
2029 - void year

ranked by average annual value as a % of the salary cap, Jefferson is now 19th overall among NFL players.

the first 15 are all QB's. then TJ Watt, Nick Bosa, Tyreek Hill and Jefferson.
That % will go down every year as the cap continues to increase.

Plus they will almost certainly re-structure/extend in 2026/2027.

I sure hope not.

If the Vikings haven't drafted and/or developed a WR by then that can fill those shoes even remotely adequately, I would be disappointed. I would really struggle with another huge contract for Jefferson. If by then the WR salaries make a huge rebound and back to "normal", it would make sense.

I hope the Vikings never pay more than $30M for a WR ever again.

With any luck, by that time comes around, they'll be paying that kind of money to Dallas Turner instead. That would be the best of all possible outcomes

Scheffter reported that The League has concluded its tampering investigations and is expected to announce their findings/penalties for Cousins and Saquain Barkley.

Scheffter reported that The League has concluded its tampering investigations and is expected to announce their findings/penalties for Cousins and Saquain Barkley.

if there are penalties assessed against Atlanta, that does not mean that the Vikings will get any benefit - like some kind of a pick swap. I think it's more likely that Atlanta would lose a pick or pay a fine.

if there are penalties assessed against Atlanta, that does not mean that the Vikings will get any benefit - like some kind of a pick swap. I think it's more likely that Atlanta would lose a pick or pay a fine.
Maybe our excellent offseason continues and we receive some type of compensation🤞

I would think the Vikings should get something from it though as they were hurt by it.

I would think the Vikings should get something from it though as they were hurt by it.

Fingers crossed, yes. But I don't think the Patriots got anything when Brady was "tampered" with during his courting period. League has been all over the map on it really.

Fingers crossed, yes. But I don't think the Patriots got anything when Brady was "tampered" with during his courting period. League has been all over the map on it really.
One could argue that the Patriots were not harmed since Brady did not sign with the team (Dolphins) that did the tampering, instead going to the Bucs. The Patriots were at least 3rd in the pursuit of keeping TB12 so even if Miami had not tampered, he was not going back to New England.

Perhaps the Vikes were KC's 2nd choice.

NFC North burning questions for 2024 NFL season: How quickly can Bears, Vikings QBs make an impact?​

Minnesota Vikings: What is the priority under center?​

For the second year in a row, it's hard to pin down the Vikings' internal expectations. Entering 2023, Kirk Cousins was preparing to play out his contract just as general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah stripped down the defense for new coordinator Brian Flores. Entering 2024, Cousins is gone, but the supporting cast is arguably just as competitive, if not more so. So when Kevin O'Connell and Co. weigh Sam Darnold versus first-round pick J.J. McCarthy at quarterback, will they prefer patient long-term development or instant results? Maybe they can have both. McCarthy is the future, but with a skill group featuring Aaron Jones, Justin Jefferson and other elite talent, the time to make another playoff push could be now. Especially with Flores also touting a deeper pass-rushing rotation for a defense that overachieved in 2023.

Skol Vikes!!

The Viking all white "Winter Warrior Unis" have a fighting chance to be my least favorite threads ever worn by Minnesota based pro-franchise.

Ick.

In contention with the DQ reds that the Twins wore a while ago.

is this the same as the "Color Rush" uniforms or will those be something different?

but Ope - if you're old enough, you must admit that the worst MN sports-team uniforms ever were the ones from the time the Twins did that "Turn Ahead the Clock" weekend where they tried to show what uniforms would look like in the future. those were truly hideous.

Elly De La Cruz celebrated his one year anniversary in the Bigs yesterday and is the first player in one calendar year of making their debut since 1900, to have 65+ steals and 50+ Extra Base Hits; no clue who the player was in 1900 - saw this on SportsCenter this morning.

Elly De La Cruz celebrated his one year anniversary in the Bigs yesterday and is the first player in one calendar year of making their debut since 1900, to have 65+ steals and 50+ Extra Base Hits; no clue who the player was in 1900 - saw this on SportsCenter this morning.
Wow, the Vikings should sign him immediately!

The Viking all white "Winter Warrior Unis" have a fighting chance to be my least favorite threads ever worn by Minnesota based pro-franchise.

Ick.

In contention with the DQ reds that the Twins wore a while ago.
Woof. Those are bad. I haven't minded the previous "color rush" jerseys. But yeah, these are bad. Even just changing the Viking horn to purple could have gone a long way.

On a side note, looks like Pace has changed his # to 0.

Top Bottom