All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I'd rather that MN teams quit dealing with Boston altogether--the talent that heads that way (Luis Tiant, David Ortiz, KG, Randy Moss)* always seems superior to that we receive back (Matt Cassel, Al Jefferson, Marcus Banks, Ryan Gomes, Frankie Rodriguez) from the Back Bay. That a fanbase comprised on the biggest bag of dicks this side of Philadelphia doesn't help either.

* Yes, I know that Tiant, Ortiz, and Moss were not directly traded to the respective Boston area franchises.
Incredible lobster rolls though

Sounds like you can scratch Nix off of the Vikings list, which I don’t think anyone will have an issue with here.

Just to clarify, as I heard this mentioned today. The Vikings most definitely has people at Nix's Oregon pro day, it just wasn't those Uber high brass.

Another trivial tidbit... Michael Lombardi and Randy Mueller, who have been NFL GM's, both said the Vikings have had a very, very good offseason/FA period to this point. I'm inclined to agree for the most part!

A lot more heavy lifting left to do yet though. By most accounts, with the money they have remaining, they are not done yet.

Just to clarify, as I heard this mentioned today. The Vikings most definitely has people at Nix's Oregon pro day, it just wasn't those Uber high brass.

Another trivial tidbit... Michael Lombardi and Randy Mueller, who have been NFL GM's, both said the Vikings have had a very, very good offseason/FA period to this point. I'm inclined to agree for the most part!

A lot more heavy lifting left to do yet though. By most accounts, with the money they have remaining, they are not done yet.
It's pretty clear they are setting the stage for the next era of Viking football that is built around our future QB, Jefferson, Darrisaw, and Addison. We are putting a competitive team around the young QB but will have a ton of space (even factoring in an extension for Jefferson) with the dead cap rolling off, our shorter contracts (Jones, Darnold, etc.) rolling off and the salary cap being bumped up. The only players we signed with longer term contracts are younger defensive players.

So everything we've done so far makes sense to me. At the end of the day, it's going to come down to the draft we gotta get the right guy at QB and hit on more than we miss.

It's pretty clear they are setting the stage for the next era of Viking football that is built around our future QB, Jefferson, Darrisaw, and Addison. We are putting a competitive team around the young QB but will have a ton of space (even factoring in an extension for Jefferson) with the dead cap rolling off, our shorter contracts (Jones, Darnold, etc.) rolling off and the salary cap being bumped up. The only players we signed with longer term contracts are younger defensive players.

Darrisaw.... a prime example of why I never listen to sports podcasts or shows that take phone calls. I was listening to the NFL satellite channel while driving a week or so ago and some moron called in all riled up about the Vikings moves and one of the things he said was the Vikings should trade Darrisaw. Yeah, let's trade a guy who could very likely be one of the best players in the NFL for the next 6-8 years at one of the most premium positions.

I think the new Vikings regime has done a whole lot more right than wrong, but these next 4-5 weeks will definitely shape the direction of the franchise

Darrisaw.... a prime example of why I never listen to sports podcasts or shows that take phone calls. I was listening to the NFL satellite channel while driving a week or so ago and some moron called in all riled up about the Vikings moves and one of the things he said was the Vikings should trade Darrisaw. Yeah, let's trade a guy who could very likely be one of the best players in the NFL for the next 6-8 years at one of the most premium positions.

I think the new Vikings regime has done a whole lot more right than wrong, but these next 4-5 weeks will definitely shape the direction of the franchise

FWIW - he was the #2 ranked tackle by PFF for the past season.

So everything we've done so far makes sense to me. At the end of the day, it's going to come down to the draft we gotta get the right guy at QB and hit on more than we miss.
Seems like they can also afford to wait until 2025 draft for a QB

Seems like they can also afford to wait until 2025 draft for a QB
I think a team like DEN, with so little in the cupboard, can afford to wait until 2025 to grab a QB. We have JJ, TJ, Addison, Jones and two (2) very good OTs ready to win now. Not taking a QB high this year would just seem irresponsible, but so would overpaying to roll the dice on one.

With Harbaugh at the Chargers, I wonder if they had the 4th pick, assuring them of getting McCarthy, if they'd be more open to moving Herbert?

MIN in: Herbert
MIN out: Jefferson, Pick 11 & Pick 23

ARI in: Jefferson & Pick 5
ARI out: Picks 4, 27 & 35

LAC in: Picks 4, 11, 23, 27 & 35
LAC out: Herbert & Pick 5

I think a team like DEN, with so little in the cupboard, can afford to wait until 2025 to grab a QB. We have JJ, TJ, Addison, Jones and two (2) very good OTs ready to win now. Not taking a QB high this year would just seem irresponsible, but so would overpaying to roll the dice on one.

With Harbaugh at the Chargers, I wonder if they had the 4th pick, assuring them of getting McCarthy, if they'd be more open to moving Herbert?

Would they want Herbert and his contract? His contract is outrageous. I like Herbert but would they want that much money tied up at qb right now?

Would they want Herbert and his contract? His contract is outrageous. I like Herbert but would they want that much money tied up at qb right now?
It's the going rate for a good QB now days which certainly emphasizes the advantage of having a young quality guy on his Rookie contract.

We have JJ, TJ, Addison, Jones and two (2) very good OTs ready to win now. Not taking a QB high this year would just seem irresponsible, but so would overpaying to roll the dice on one.
Unless you're really thinking you're going to get lucky as hell and draft Stroud .... how can you possibly expect to win right away with a rookie??

That doesn't seem realistic.

If they wanted to win in 2024, the correct decision would've been to keep Kirk. Or, like I'm trying to wrap my head and come around to, trade for someone like Herbert.

While I get what you're saying, top 4 only guarantees them one of the top 4.

I think it is "accepted" that JJM is 4 and the other three are top 3, but maybe not?

In this specific situation, I just find it tough to believe that JJ will want out of Minn if Herbert is coming in and the Wilfs would allow the face of their franchise to walk out the door.

I could be much more comfortable with, and possibly see, Addison being the one to go. Whether that's to the Chargers or Cards. Since Kiper projected both to draft WR's, this gets them one of those at even better than a first rounder: a proven first rounder from last year.

It's the going rate for a good QB now days which certainly emphasizes the advantage of having a young quality guy on his Rookie contract.
I don't know if in a trade the current contract, cap hits, etc. all just exactly transfer over?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/justin-herbert-47599/

This says that even with post-6/1 trade, the Chargers would have a $95M dead cap hit in 2025?? That seems impossible to do?

Anyway, this says a $19.345M cap hit in 24 and a $37.345M cap hit in 25, then it starts blowing up.

Unless you're really thinking you're going to get lucky as hell and draft Stroud .... how can you possibly expect to win right away with a rookie??

That doesn't seem realistic.

If they wanted to win in 2024, the correct decision would've been to keep Kirk. Or, like I'm trying to wrap my head and come around to, trade for someone like Herbert.

While I get what you're saying, top 4 only guarantees them one of the top 4.

I think it is "accepted" that JJM is 4 and the other three are top 3, but maybe not?

In this specific situation, I just find it tough to believe that JJ will want out of Minn if Herbert is coming in and the Wilfs would allow the face of their franchise to walk out the door.

I could be much more comfortable with, and possibly see, Addison being the one to go. Whether that's to the Chargers or Cards. Since Kiper projected both to draft WR's, this gets them one of those at even better than a first rounder: a proven first rounder from last year.
Addison might be enough for ARI to move back to 4, but not enough to kick in 27 and 35 for LAC. I was just curious how much trade value we as fans assign to Jefferson.

Addison might be enough for ARI to move back to 4, but not enough to kick in 27 and 35 for LAC. I was just curious how much trade value we as fans assign to Jefferson.

Because of the contract situation of both players, the trade value of Addison might be a lot closer to JJ than people think

OK, yeah reading this: https://www.spotrac.com/news/understanding-nfl-dead-cap-1781/

I think basically the Chargers have paid (talking cash in his bank account) $108+M to Herbert that has not yet been accounted for in cap hits anywhere.

So if they trade him before the 2024 season, all that money suddenly gets accelerated up to being a 2024 cap it -- OR if after 6/1 then a good portion can shift to 2025.

But it's still $95M dead cap in 2025, so that makes a Herbert trade this calendar year all but impossible??

Because of the contract situation of both players, the trade value of Addison might be a lot closer to JJ than people think
I think that's correct and would rather trade Addison if we're drafting a QB. If it's for Herbert you might have to trade JJ or the salary cap will get difficult quickly.

Yeah, a couple comments confirming the same thing here: htt ps://www.reddit.com/r/DynastyFF/comments/1bhwimi/could_the_chargers_be_open_to_trading_justin/?rdt=38346

They're saying $130M, but it's really only that figure if you cut him. If you trade him (pre-6/1) then it's "only" $108M dead cap.

Physically impossible, I would think.

I think Herbert’s contract is a little higher than the going rate. Or much higher. Agree that’s why vikes need a guy on rookie contract. Cousins was good, Herbert too. Just can’t see vikes trading for him and his contract.

I think Herbert’s contract is a little higher than the going rate. Or much higher. Agree that’s why vikes need a guy on rookie contract. Cousins was good, Herbert too. Just can’t see vikes trading for him and his contract.

His contract escalates per Sporttrac -

What if the 2025 draft turns out like the 2021 draft for QBs?
It's been wait until next year to draft the qb since basically Fran Tarkenton.

It's a great strategy to wait when you actually have the chance now.

It's been wait until next year to draft the qb since basically Fran Tarkenton.

Even Tarkenton, who led the Vikings to 3 of the franchises 4 Super Bowls, was acquired via trade.

Even Tarkenton, who led the Vikings to 3 of the franchises 4 Super Bowls, was acquired via trade.
Correct........I'm willing to risk drafting one this year.

LMAO

What if the 2025 draft turns out like the 2021 draft for QBs?
It certainly could.

What if both the 2024 and 2025 drafts turn out like 2021?

The big difference would (hypothetically) if we had the pick organically vs. trading away picks to get there this year.

Seriously, even going back to 2020, who are the for sure franchise QB's that actually came out of the draft so far??? Herbert, Burrow?

Does Lawrence count as a for sure franchise guy? Stroud looked good first year but no sure thing yet.

Lot of busts.

And none of those guys were drafted by teams that traded up significantly to get them.

First round QB:

2020:
Burrow - not a trade - likely franchise, has to come back from major injury
Tua - not a trade - maybe not?
Herbert - not a trade - franchise
(Love at #26 - traded up from #30 - first year playing last year pretty good, we'll see?)
(Hurts at 2ndR #53 - not a trade - franchise, though early looked like maybe a bust?)

2021:
Lawrence - not a trade - probably?
Wilson - not a trade - massive bust
Lance - massive trade #12 to #3 + two more first rounders - massive bust
Fields - traded #20 to #11 - massive bust
Jones - not a trade - massive bust

2022:
(Pickett at #20 - not a trade - bust )
(no other QB taken until 3rd round!)

2023:
Young - massive trade #9 to #1 + picks incl. a first round + player - looking like a massive bust
Stroud - not a trade - great first year
Richardson - not a trade - mostly hurt first year
(Levis at #33 - traded #44 to #31 + pick - forced into action and not great?)

2024:
????

Can also look at 2019, Murray is ??? and then Dan Jones and Dwayne Haskins, none of which were traded into.

How on Earth does that inspire confidence to draft "the guy", as a team trading up??? We're talking about the Vikings.

Any team any year can "have the chance" to mortgage the future to trade into the top 5.

That's not a reasonable move to make.

The real thing of having the chance is if you have the pick organically.

It certainly could.

What if both the 2024 and 2025 drafts turn out like 2021?

The big difference would (hypothetically) if we had the pick organically vs. trading away picks to get there this year.

Seriously, even going back to 2020, who are the for sure franchise QB's that actually came out of the draft so far??? Herbert, Burrow?

Does Lawrence count as a for sure franchise guy? Stroud looked good first year but no sure thing yet.

Lot of busts.

And none of those guys were drafted by teams that traded up significantly to get them.

First round QB:

2020:
Burrow - not a trade - likely franchise, has to come back from major injury
Tua - not a trade - maybe not?
Herbert - not a trade - franchise
(Love at #26 - traded up from #30 - first year playing last year pretty good, we'll see?)
(Hurts at 2ndR #53 - not a trade - franchise, though early looked like maybe a bust?)

2021:
Lawrence - not a trade - probably?
Wilson - not a trade - massive bust
Lance - massive trade #12 to #3 + two more first rounders - massive bust
Fields - traded #20 to #11 - massive bust
Jones - not a trade - massive bust

2022:
(Pickett at #20 - not a trade - bust )
(no other QB taken until 3rd round!)

2023:
Young - massive trade #9 to #1 + picks incl. a first round + player - looking like a massive bust
Stroud - not a trade - great first year
Richardson - not a trade - mostly hurt first year
(Levis at #33 - traded #44 to #31 + pick - forced into action and not great?)

2024:
????

Can also look at 2019, Murray is ??? and then Dan Jones and Dwayne Haskins, none of which were traded into.

How on Earth does that inspire confidence to draft "the guy", as a team trading up??? We're talking about the Vikings.
It probably comes down to the adage, "you'll never get a hit if you don't swing the bat". The only guy I'd personally trade up for is Daniels, primarily for his immense upside and not because he's a "can't miss" prospect.

Top Bottom