All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

These guys continue to be morons. He’s not getting less money, Mahomes doesn’t have to agree to it and the Vikings did similar things with Cousins multiple times. That’s why there is all the dead money.

True but Cousins insistence on fully guaranteed contracts made salary cap maneuvering more difficult.

True but Cousins insistence on fully guaranteed contracts made salary cap maneuvering more difficult.
Are you comparing Cousins' and Mahomes' deals and suggesting Cousins made it harder? The only reason Mahomes' deal can be restructured is because it's a 10-year deal and they have the ability to kick the can down the road further than Cousins' shorter deal. That's the only difference. Mahomes is getting $210MM between 2023 and 2026, all fully guaranteed. He signed a contract in 2020, then restructured it in 2023 which gave him more upfront money and all of that being guaranteed. If you saw in my other post, his cap hit in 24/25/26 is astronomical. So you can bet that they'll restructure yet again with the carrot of making more of his contract guaranteed. I would be willing to bet they'll restructure before the start of the 2024 season, as his cap hit of $66MM will make life difficult for them. What will likely happen is they'll keep restructuring his contract, eventually pushing dead cap money into the future after he retires, and the next GM/coach can deal with it then.

Are you comparing Cousins' and Mahomes' deals and suggesting Cousins made it harder? The only reason Mahomes' deal can be restructured is because it's a 10-year deal and they have the ability to kick the can down the road further than Cousins' shorter deal. That's the only difference. Mahomes is getting $210MM between 2023 and 2026, all fully guaranteed. He signed a contract in 2020, then restructured it in 2023 which gave him more upfront money and all of that being guaranteed. If you saw in my other post, his cap hit in 24/25/26 is astronomical. So you can bet that they'll restructure yet again with the carrot of making more of his contract guaranteed. I would be willing to bet they'll restructure before the start of the 2024 season, as his cap hit of $66MM will make life difficult for them. What will likely happen is they'll keep restructuring his contract, eventually pushing dead cap money into the future after he retires, and the next GM/coach can deal with it then.
Yes. Cousins deals made it harder to manipulate the cap than most other large QB contracts are because he demanded they be fully guaranteed and shorter in term. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but it's much easier to create cap space with a contract like Mahomes, then it is a 3 year fully guaranteed contract where all you do is tack on void years.

The Chiefs will eventually pay the piper on this, as the Patriots did, but they won't care.

Yes. Cousins deals made it harder to manipulate the cap than most other large QB contracts are because he demanded they be fully guaranteed and shorter in term. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to do it, but it's much easier to create cap space with a contract like Mahomes, then it is a 3 year fully guaranteed contract where all you do is tack on void years.

The Chiefs will eventually pay the piper on this, as the Patriots did, but they won't care.
I appreciate the shorter term deals, even if fully guaranteed. By not resigning Cousins, the Vikes now have to pay the piper when it comes to his contract. If he had a 10-year deal where they kept kicking the can every year, you would be left with a much bigger mess at the end to deal with. At least this way, the carnage is smaller. But like you said, with the Super Bowls that KC is winning, do they really care? I know I wouldn't.

No. Because that was probably a bad trade by the Dolphins in hindsight.
My point was, that a more favorable comp, would be someone who plays the same position.

If you fell Hill isn’t applicable, than substitute Adams, if you must.

The “bad trade” is also a subjective designation on your end as well -
the trade in and of itself, is data, ergo non-subjective😃

Why would you/or any fan care if we had a run of SBs like them?

I’d readily take that and a bad 🪟.
There’s a real chance the Vikings won’t win one before the Grim Reaper does with me😃.

Did you sleep well? We got feisty Howie today 😠

Last edited:

Calvin Ridley to the Titans for 4 years @$92M, with $50M guaranteed. Nice pick up with Hopkins on the other side and more leverage for JJ.

Why would you/or any fan care if we had a run of SBs like them?

I’d readily take that and a bad 🪟.
There’s a real chance the Vikings won’t win one before the Grim Reaper does with me😃.

Did you sleep well? We got feisty Howie today 😠
Not sure what I'm "feisty" about. The main reason we didn't win a Super Bowl with Kirk is we didn't have enough overall talent and he's no Patrick Mahomes to make up for the holes on the roster around him.

I'm only pointing out that Mahomes/Brady allowed the Chiefs/Patriots more cap flexibility than Kirk did because they didn't demand fully guaranteed contracts in 3 year chunks. They still got their $$ in the end of course.

Short of trading for Justin Herbert or something, this is now irrelevant to the Vikings for at least the next 4-5 years.

Not sure what I'm "feisty" about.
It was a joke, not everything on here is serious 🥸
The main reason we didn't win a Super Bowl with Kirk is we didn't have enough overall talent and he's no Patrick Mahomes to make up for the holes on the roster around him.

I'm only pointing out that Mahomes/Brady allowed the Chiefs/Patriots more cap flexibility than Kirk did because they didn't demand fully guaranteed contracts in 3 year chunks. They still got their $$ in the end of course.

Short of trading for Justin Herbert or something, this is now irrelevant to the Vikings for at least the next 4-5 years.
My only point is that a SB run, akin to the Pats and KC, is worth 5 years in football purgatory - that’s it, just some good natured jocularity🥸

I thought the “grim reaper’” reference made it clear I was joking - my bad😉

Last edited:

Mixed feelings on this one. Love Harrison, one of the all-time great Vikings. But I know the Locked On Vikings podcast guy, Luke Braun who has a really good grasp of the cap stuff, had always projected that Smith was going to retire this offseason. They probably need him on the back end, I hope it's a team friendly deal, for sure.

My point was, that a more favorable comp, would be someone who plays the same position.

If you fell Hill isn’t applicable, than substitute Adams, if you must.

The “bad trade” is also a subjective designation on your end as well -
the trade in and of itself, is data, ergo non-subjective😃

Hill should get a huge chunk of whatever contract the Dolphins give Tua; Hill is going to make Tua a very rich man, and I'm not altogether certain Tua can win in this league in the postseason. At a minimum, I'm fairly certain Tua isn't going into a cold weather outdoor game in the playoffs and winning.

Hill should get a huge chunk of whatever contract the Dolphins give Tua; Hill is going to make Tua a very rich man, and I'm not altogether certain Tua can win in this league in the postseason. At a minimum, I'm fairly certain Tua isn't going into a cold weather outdoor game in the playoffs and winning.
Agree on that.

The Fins lost three DL in FA, yikes

Mixed feelings on this one. Love Harrison, one of the all-time great Vikings. But I know the Locked On Vikings podcast guy, Luke Braun who has a really good grasp of the cap stuff, had always projected that Smith was going to retire this offseason. They probably need him on the back end, I hope it's a team friendly deal, for sure.
I actually think they'd be better off with him gone. Bynum is their best safety. He's solid. Metellus isn't far behind Bynum.

Harrison is probably the worst among them at this point.

Top Bottom