All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

The Bikes have 2 fourths, 2 fifths, and 2 sixths.

It is time they hit on a couple of those. There is no law that they can't.

The Patriots always like lots of picks. Those 6 picks for their 3rd overall, who says no?

I see you were still right on Cousins.
I wasn't right or wrong, I didn't make a prediction on if he would or would not leave.

Atlanta overpaid. That is their prerogative.

Hoping for another Matt Ryan leads them to the Super Bowl, I guess.

These guys continue to be morons.
They're just following the Dan B bit. Take whatever you think is the most popular opinion amongst the fanbase, and rail/troll against it as hard as you can. His little padawan Gaard is well ingrained.

I wasn't right or wrong, I didn't make a prediction on if he would or would not leave.

Atlanta overpaid. That is their prerogative.

Hoping for another Matt Ryan leads them to the Super Bowl, I guess.
You weren't right or wrong about drafting Addison, either.

Like I said, you are batting 1.000

Damn man, that's impressive.

As far as the mentoring, I was just repeating what I heard. Obviously opinions vary on the significance of that kind of thing.

I actually had a crazy thought today while I was driving on a short road trip, listening to lots of this unravel;

If you were running the Vikings, would you give the Panthers the #11 overall pick, if they would take it, in return for Bryce Young? I liked Young a lot coming out last year, and he was obviously in just about the worst situation you could imagine, but he didn't look good, that's for sure. I wonder if the Panthers would move on so fast, and I wonder if there would be any takers?

No. I didn't like any of the QB's last year. CJ Stroud really surprised me, and even Richardson was better than I thought he was when he was healthy.

I still can't believe that after all of the time Carolina had to evaluate the 3 QB's, they chose the one that is 5'10", has the weakest arm, and is the least athletic of the 3. I think there might be 6 QB's that are better than Young in this year's draft.

No. I didn't like any of the QB's last year. CJ Stroud really surprised me, and even Richardson was better than I thought he was when he was healthy.

I still can't believe that after all of the time Carolina had to evaluate the 3 QB's, they chose the one that is 5'10", has the weakest arm, and is the least athletic of the 3. I think there might be 6 QB's that are better than Young in this year's draft.
I think it was the guy signing the Panthers paychecks that liked Young most compared to Stroud.

was listening to Reusse on a podcast. He was talking about how Spielman always liked to load up on those 5th, 6th and 7th round picks.

then he said that the new league - the UFL - should have a team called "The Spielmans" and all of their players could be made up of former Spielman draft choices who didn't make it in the NFL.

The Vikings will be drafting there QB of the future in round 1. There is no if or what about it and no the Vikings will not be dumb. There was a reason why they got rid of Cousins and if they have to trade up. Then they will trade up.

The Vikings came close to extending wide receiver Justin Jefferson last offseason. In Indy, general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah aggressively rejected the idea of trading the star. Kirk Cousins’ departure hasn’t changed things. The Vikings have no plans to trade Jefferson, team sources said.

Minnesota Vikings: C-
Key additions: RB Aaron Jones, QB Sam Darnold, DE Jonathan Greenard, LB Blake Cashman, LB Andrew Van Ginkel, RB Aaron Jones, K John Parker Romo
Key re-signings: TE Johnny Mundt, OT David Quessenberry, WR Brandon Powell
Key departures: QB Kirk Cousins, DE Marcus Davenport, DE Danielle Hunter
It's panic time in the Twin Cities: the Vikings are entering quarterback purgatory and are currently looking at castoff Sam Darnold as their starting quarterback ahead of the 2024 NFL Draft after Cousins deserted them for the Falcons and warmer weather. Scary times. They need to trade all the way up into the top three or hope J.J. McCarthy falls to them with the 11th overall pick. Otherwise, Justin Jefferson might get irritable and demand a trade. Darnold has an established NFL track record of being a mediocre quarterback. At least they were fortunate enough to capitalize on former Packers Pro Bowl running back Aaron Jones' spite and add him on a one-year deal. Jones follows in Brett Favre's footsteps as someone who embodied what it meant to be a Packer before joining the Vikings out of spite when Green Bay showed them the door. Jones provides a dual-threat ability out of the backfield not seen in Minnesota since Dalvin Cook's prime. Jonathan Greenard (12.5 sacks in 2023, led team; his 22% quarterback pressure ranked as the sixth-best among edge rushers in 2023 per ESPN Analytics) acts as a younger replacement for the departing Danielle Hunter.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...eWU0DOCwkHt7TM8RTB490yWbY#ltpylrffsdjffwjmglp

Minnesota Vikings: C-
Key additions: RB Aaron Jones, QB Sam Darnold, DE Jonathan Greenard, LB Blake Cashman, LB Andrew Van Ginkel, RB Aaron Jones, K John Parker Romo
Key re-signings: TE Johnny Mundt, OT David Quessenberry, WR Brandon Powell
Key departures: QB Kirk Cousins, DE Marcus Davenport, DE Danielle Hunter
It's panic time in the Twin Cities: the Vikings are entering quarterback purgatory and are currently looking at castoff Sam Darnold as their starting quarterback ahead of the 2024 NFL Draft after Cousins deserted them for the Falcons and warmer weather. Scary times. They need to trade all the way up into the top three or hope J.J. McCarthy falls to them with the 11th overall pick. Otherwise, Justin Jefferson might get irritable and demand a trade. Darnold has an established NFL track record of being a mediocre quarterback. At least they were fortunate enough to capitalize on former Packers Pro Bowl running back Aaron Jones' spite and add him on a one-year deal. Jones follows in Brett Favre's footsteps as someone who embodied what it meant to be a Packer before joining the Vikings out of spite when Green Bay showed them the door. Jones provides a dual-threat ability out of the backfield not seen in Minnesota since Dalvin Cook's prime. Jonathan Greenard (12.5 sacks in 2023, led team; his 22% quarterback pressure ranked as the sixth-best among edge rushers in 2023 per ESPN Analytics) acts as a younger replacement for the departing Danielle Hunter.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...eWU0DOCwkHt7TM8RTB490yWbY#ltpylrffsdjffwjmglp

Panic time with the draft upcoming - another AI 🤖 generated article!!!

FWIW - The Athletic ranked Greenard’s signing as the sixth best.

Last edited:

These guys continue to be morons. He’s not getting less money, Mahomes doesn’t have to agree to it and the Vikings did similar things with Cousins multiple times. That’s why there is all the dead money.

What a dumb, lazy, click-bait headline. This is why people don't trust the media is because of clowns like him.

Patrick Mahomes signed a 10-year, $450MM contract back in 2020. They restructured his contract in 2023 so he got a bunch more of that money upfront in years 2023-2026 (thus creating this problem in the first place). Now, they are restructuring again so they delay the cap hit until 2025/2026/2027. With the restructuring, he has a cap hit of $66MM in 2025 and $68MM in 2026, and $64MM in 2027. Yikes. But yes, Judd, he is a white knight saving the team.

The Vikings can say they have no plans to trade Jefferson.

But - let's say the reports are accurate, and Jefferson already turned down a $30-million/yr deal.
How much should the Vikings be willing to pay for a star WR - IF they are also starting over with a rookie QB?

to me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to say "we're not going to pay $45-million to a QB" - but then turn around and pay - let's say - $35-million+ to a WR.

WR's are easier to find than QB's. If there's a team willing to give up some draft picks and also pay Jefferson what he wants, I say make the deal. Vikes can use the extra draft picks to fill holes, or have more draft capital to move up and get the QB they want.

But - let's say the reports are accurate, and Jefferson already turned down a $30-million/yr deal.
How much should the Vikings be willing to pay for a star WR - IF they are also starting over with a rookie QB?

to me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to say "we're not going to pay $45-million to a QB" - but then turn around and pay - let's say - $35-million+ to a WR.

WR's are easier to find than QB's. If there's a team willing to give up some draft picks and also pay Jefferson what he wants, I say make the deal. Vikes can use the extra draft picks to fill holes, or have more draft capital to move up and get the QB they want.

The return for JJ would be quite a bit less than most Vikings fans think, I hate to say it.

A team trading for JJ is not only giving up draft capital but will THEN have to give JJ that massive contract. I just don't see it happening.

Brian Burns is a borderline ELITE pass rusher and Carolina got a 2nd and a 5th for him, at a Premium position. Why? Because the Giants then had to turn around and give him a HUGE contract.

The Vikings are stuck with JJ, like it or not

The return for JJ would be quite a bit less than most Vikings fans think, I hate to say it.

A team trading for JJ is not only giving up draft capital but will THEN have to give JJ that massive contract. I just don't see it happening.

Brian Burns is a borderline ELITE pass rusher and Carolina got a 2nd and a 5th for him, at a Premium position. Why? Because the Giants then had to turn around and give him a HUGE contract.

You might be right on JJ. I also think it's very possible that Carolina doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

You don't have to go back too far to find similar situations to what the Vikings are in now with JJ. We already went through this with Diggs and got a 1st rounder plus 3 other picks.

Green Bay got a 1st and 2nd rounder for Devante Adams. KC got 5 picks for Hill, including a 1st and 2nd rounder. All 3 WRs then signed massive deals with the teams that traded for them.

JJ is also younger, by several years, than those WRs were when they were traded.

Wouldn’t a better comp be the Tyrek Hill trade?

Last edited:

You might be right on JJ. I also think it's very possible that Carolina doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

You don't have to go back too far to find similar situations to what the Vikings are in now with JJ. We already went through this with Diggs and got a 1st rounder plus 3 other picks.

Green Bay got a 1st and 2nd rounder for Devante Adams. KC got 5 picks for Hill, including a 1st and 2nd rounder. All 3 WRs then signed massive deals with the teams that traded for them.

JJ is also younger, by several years, than those WRs were when they were traded.
I read that JJ turned down being the highest paid WR. If thats the case, trade his ass.

I know, I know, I've beat the shit out of the drum regarding Justin Fields but it's essentially because it's one of the most incredible phenomenons I've ever seen in the NFL, or at least in quite some time.

ESPN and the NFL Network are on the brink of a candle-light vigil on Fields' behalf. They mention it literally every 20-30 minutes, why there hasn't been movement, it's soooooooo terrible for Justin, the poor, poor guy.... some of these folks seem on the edge of tears while talking about it. The travesty...

The discrepancy between what the media/fans think of Fields as an NFL QB and what the actual people running NFL franchises think is Grand Canyon-esque. It's just incredible. The number of teams that sat there as of 72 hours ago as "QB-needy teams" and nobody even sniffed moving towards making a move. Yes, I know there were "reports" that some teams kicked the tires.... I seriously doubt it.

The best part is, the Bears and GM Poles massively overplayed their hand in this situation; f'd it up royally beyond belief, thinking the market was much more than it is. Their only hope is some kind of significant injury to a QB somewhere else in the league that forces a move of desperation.

It's fantastic theater, you have to admit
I think the Bears GM is a victim of the idiotic media obsession with Fields.

Talking heads are going on and on about how it's his fault for not completely building the team around Fields and have made it sound like it ever made any sense for them to not draft Caleb Williams.

IMO, there was never a real market for Fields. No one was going to give up draft capital and build an offense around a player who has so many question marks. Then, if he has a decent season, you have to pay him. I don't think there was ever a real market for Fields and I don't think any GM would even consider skipping out on Williams to go with Fields.

The media's coverage of the Justin Fields situation is bizarre. It's completely removed from reality.

Yup ⬇️

The Vikings came close to extending wide receiver Justin Jefferson last offseason. In Indy, general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah aggressively rejected the idea of trading the star. Kirk Cousins’ departure hasn’t changed things. The Vikings have no plans to trade Jefferson, team sources said.
JJ will get Kirk’s 💰. Realistically, you could pay one or the other, but not both.

Based on JJ’s current production, age and popularity- you can easily make the argument he’s the face of the franchise and fans will grin and bear it for 1/2 season of Darnold, but ditching Kirk, JJ & Hunter in the same offseason, might cause a revolt amongst The Purple Faithful, as there’s nothing to sell them.

The Jets will likely sux again as will the Giants,but NYC has so many more people, more cash, they literally can run the same marketing campaign every year. The Wilfs didn’t make their cash by happenstance and they could still trade JJ once he’s resigned, if everything goes completely to 💩

Last edited:

I read that JJ turned down being the highest paid WR. If thats the case, trade his ass.
Harbaugh loves JJ McCarthy.

The Chargers trade Justin Herbert to the Vikings for pick 11 and Jefferson.

The chargers now have their qb on the cheap, JJ, and picks 5 and 11.

The Vikings now have their qb. Win for both teams!

Yup ⬇️

JJ will get Kirk’s 💰. Realistically, you could pay one or the other, but not both.

Based on JJ’s current production, age and popularity- you can easily make the argument he’s the face of the franchise and fans will grin and bear it for 1/2 season of Darnold, but ditching Kirk, JJ & Hunter in the same offseason, might cause a revolt amongst The Purple Faithful, as there’s nothing to sell them.

The Jets will likely sux again as will the Giants,but NYC has so many more people, more cash, they literally can run the same marketing campaign every year. The Wilfs didn’t make their cash by happenstance and they could still trade JJ once he’s resigned, if everything goes completely to 💩
fair

all in. But it doesnt appear JJ McCarthy will last that long

That I would do in a NY minute.

Top Bottom