All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Here the orgional tweet the above tweet mention.

Jefferson to ARI makes some sense with Hollywood Brown being a FA:

MIN receives: Picks #4 & #36
ARI receives: Jefferson & Pick #11

1. CHI - Caleb Williams
2. WAS - Drake Maye
3. DEN - JJ McCarthy (Trade with NE)
4. MIN - Jayden Daniels (Trade with ARI)

36. DT T'Vondre Sweat
42. DT Kris Jenkins

Perfect.

1. CHI - Caleb Williams
2. WAS - Drake Maye

36. DT T'Vondre Sweat
42. DT Kris Jenkins

Perfect.

Arizona needs incredible help at WR. Holy shit, I swear they played most of last season without a WR over 5'-8. I hope they move down to whoever wants to move up and they can still get a WR like Nabers or Odunze, or one of the OT at the top of their board.

Oh, and yes Hollywood Brown is a FA and NO, he's not a major loss for Arizona. Tried to bring him in because he's Kyler's buddy and that didn't work out for shit.

OK, this may be an unpopular opinion, but -

let's say Cousins signs with Atlanta. everyone seems to think the Vikes would draft a rookie QB and bring in a "bridge" QB for one season.

and here's my opinion - if they're going to bring in someone like Darnold, Zach Wilson or that ilk, I'd rather have the Vikes just go with Nick Mullens. Seriously - he knows the offense, knows the WR's and he threw for over 300 yards in 3 of the last 4 games last season. is Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson really that much better than Mullens?

besides, Mullens is fun. he adds a "let's just chuck it down the field and see what happens" vibe to the operation. if nothing else, it makes the games entertaining.
I agree but the argument for a guy like darnold is he has untapped upside (I don’t necessarily agree), but I would agree Mullins is what he is.

So someone would say darnold in the right situation could be a mid tier NfL starter. Whereas no one would say that about Mullins. Again I don’t necessarily agree with that

Christian Ponder and Mac Jones all rolled into one. 🤮
Yep. That’s what will happen to the Vikings this year if they draft a QB in the first round. Guaranteed.

2021 class all over again. Top guy is pretty decent but there is zero chance Vikings can get #1 and of course aren’t trying to.

1. CHI - Caleb Williams
2. WAS - Drake Maye

36. DT T'Vondre Sweat
42. DT Kris Jenkins

Perfect.
Jayden >>>>>>>McCarthy and it ain’t even thst close

Not sure what I'm "feisty" about. The main reason we didn't win a Super Bowl with Kirk is we didn't have enough overall talent and he's no Patrick Mahomes to make up for the holes on the roster around him.

I'm only pointing out that Mahomes/Brady allowed the Chiefs/Patriots more cap flexibility than Kirk did because they didn't demand fully guaranteed contracts in 3 year chunks. They still got their $$ in the end of course.

Short of trading for Justin Herbert or something, this is now irrelevant to the Vikings for at least the next 4-5 years.
I agree with all of this.

What also made it easier for Mahomes/Brady to defer and restructure is there income outside football is a much higher percentage of their overall wealth in comparison to Cousins.

Both Mahomes and Brady have been national pitchmen for umpteen products.

Brady was not even the biggest bread winner in his own house at the time he was playing. He'll also get more or a comparable income from FOX in the broadcasting booth.

2. Purple's painful payday​

The Falcons outbid mostly the Falcons for Kirk Cousins. Danielle Hunter preferred playing for a better team in his hometown. And Marcus Davenport somehow tricked someone else into trusting an injury prone underachiever. All former Vikings now, each will count more in dead money against the Vikings salary cap than they'll count against their new teams' caps this season. Cousins: $28.5 million in Minnesota, $25 million in Atlanta. Hunter: $14.9 million in Minnesota, $14.75 million in Houston. Davenport counts $6.8 million in Minnesota and is now in Detroit on a one-year, $6.5 million deal.* The Vikings rank No. 2 in dead money ($57.4 million). The Raiders inched ahead ($58.8 million) when they released Jimmy Garoppolo and Hunter Renfrow on Wednesday. Meanwhile, in Kansas City, dead money: $5.9 million.

* In the thread someone mentioned that the Packers are 2nd to the Vikings with $46.5 Million in dead money

Last edited:

The Falcons outbid mostly the Falcons for Kirk Cousins. Danielle Hunter preferred playing for a better team in his hometown. And Marcus Davenport somehow tricked someone else into trusting an injury prone underachiever. All former Vikings now, each will count more in dead money against the Vikings salary cap than they'll count against their new teams' caps this season. Cousins: $28.5 million in Minnesota, $25 million in Atlanta. Hunter: $14.9 million in Minnesota, $14.75 million in Houston. Davenport counts $6.8 million in Minnesota and is now in Detroit on a one-year, $6.5 million deal.* The Vikings rank No. 2 in dead money ($57.4 million). The Raiders inched ahead ($58.8 million) when they released Jimmy Garoppolo and Hunter Renfrow on Wednesday. Meanwhile, in Kansas City, dead money: $5.9 million.

* In the thread someone mentioned that the Packers are 2nd to the Vikings with $46.5 Million in dead money

It had to be done, kudos to KAM and the front office for ripping off the bandaid now and not continuing to kick the can down the road like a lot of other franchises. The Vikings are looking at an astronomical amount of available cap space in 2025 and beyond, better days are ahead...

.... if they get the QB right

Denver has a dead cap hit of $54 million for Russell Wilson alone. They lead this list by a mile.

Denver has a dead cap hit of $54 million for Russell Wilson alone. They lead this list by a mile.

Maybe Mark Craig and Spotrac are right and even with your extensive research you're wrong?

Maybe Mark Craig and Spotrac are right and even with your extensive research you're wrong?

My "extensive reasearch" was what a Broncos beat writer tweeted yesterday, but it's exactly what's in the article you linked below. I assume it's a timing thing and they haven't officially done it yet, otherwise their dead cap hit of $16 million on Sportsrac makes no sense with the following:

That decision means that Wilson will count $53 million against Denver’s salary cap in 2024 and $32 million in 2025,” Gabriel wrote on March 13.

My "extensive reasearch" was what a Broncos beat writer tweeted yesterday, but it's exactly what's in the article you linked below. I assume it's a timing thing and they haven't officially done it yet, otherwise their dead cap hit of $16 million on Sportsrac makes no sense with the following:

That decision means that Wilson will count $53 million against Denver’s salary cap in 2024 and $32 million in 2025,” Gabriel wrote on March 13.

You should have read how Denver mitigated the cap hit Wilson's contract gave them. Here it is for those who are interested.

Justin Simmons’ release was one of the shocking decisions Denver made even before the 2024 league year officially started. But in doing so, the Broncos cleared $14.5 million in cap space by saying goodbye to the four-time Second Team All-Pro safety.

The purge continued by trading 2020 first-round pick Jerry Jeudy to the Cleveland Browns for fifth (No. 136 overall) and sixth-round (No. 203 overall) picks in the 2024 draft. In addition to getting additional picks, the Broncos cleared $12.99 million in cap space by trading the former Alabama standout..

The Broncos had several options in dealing with their former quarterback’s massive dead cap, which is more than double Matt Ryan’s previous record of $40.53 million. Instead, they refrained from picking up Wilson’s $17.6 million option for 2024, making it guaranteed money in cap allocations.

Picking up the option allowed the Broncos to push the $17.6 million in 2025, leading to lower dead money for Wilson this season. As Spotrac’s Michael Ginnitti wrote on February 18, “If Denver exercises the option bonus then designates him a Post June 1st release (before March 17th), they can push $17.6M of that cap into 2025, leading to a $35.4M dead hit in 2024, & a $49.6M hit in 2025.”

NFL explores possible Tampering by Atlanta Falcons........frpm the AP:

The NFL is reviewing whether the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles violated tampering policies during the legal tampering window, a league spokesman said Thursday.

The Falcons agreed to a contract with four-time Pro Bowl quarterback Kirk Cousins shortly after teams were permitted to start negotiating with unrestricted free agents on Monday.

In Atlanta's case, Cousins said Wednesday: ''There's great people here. And it's not just the football team. I mean, I'm looking at the support staff. Meeting — calling, yesterday, calling our head athletic trainer, talking to our head of PR I'm thinking, we got good people here. And that's exciting to be a part of.''

Cousins wasn't permitted to speak to anyon
e before 4 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.
Teams are permitted to talk directly with agents during the 52-hour negotiating window, but can't speak to the player unless he has no agent and represents himself.
The Eagles quickly struck a deal with two-time Pro Bowl running back Saquon Barkley soon after the negotiation period opened at 12 p.m. EDT.

Penn State coach James Franklin told a reporter that Eagles general manager Howie Roseman spoke to Barkley and pitched him on the connection between the Eagles and Nittany Lions fan bases.

The Eagles have denied the claims.

That quote is just referencing that they couldn't afford to match the level of overpaying that ATL signed up for. Is what it is

They 100% wanted him, just couldn't afford it and couldn't convince him to take less to stay.

That quote is just referencing that they couldn't afford to match the level of overpaying that ATL signed up for. Is what it is

They 100% wanted him, just couldn't afford it and couldn't convince him to take less to stay.
The "100% really wanted" him is certainly debatable. If they really wanted him, they would have reached an extension agreement last off season.

They had reservations even though they were 13-4 in 2022. They let the market play out.

Gone.

Well, there it is; Washington trades Sam Howell to Seattle:

"The Commanders will send Howell and fourth- and sixth-round picks (Nos. 102 and 179) to Seattle in exchange for third- and fifth-round selections (Nos. 78 and 152). Essentially, Seattle will get its replacement for departed backup Drew Lock in exchange for moving 24 spots back from the third round to the fourth and 27 spots back from the fifth round to the sixth."

Good move for Seattle. I've said here before, I'm a Howell fan. I think he makes some starts for Seattle, if not winning the starting job outright.

Top Bottom