All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I know, I know, I've beat the shit out of the drum regarding Justin Fields but it's essentially because it's one of the most incredible phenomenons I've ever seen in the NFL, or at least in quite some time.

ESPN and the NFL Network are on the brink of a candle-light vigil on Fields' behalf. They mention it literally every 20-30 minutes, why there hasn't been movement, it's soooooooo terrible for Justin, the poor, poor guy.... some of these folks seem on the edge of tears while talking about it. The travesty...

The discrepancy between what the media/fans think of Fields as an NFL QB and what the actual people running NFL franchises think is Grand Canyon-esque. It's just incredible. The number of teams that sat there as of 72 hours ago as "QB-needy teams" and nobody even sniffed moving towards making a move. Yes, I know there were "reports" that some teams kicked the tires.... I seriously doubt it.

The best part is, the Bears and GM Poles massively overplayed their hand in this situation; f'd it up royally beyond belief, thinking the market was much more than it is. Their only hope is some kind of significant injury to a QB somewhere else in the league that forces a move of desperation.

It's fantastic theater, you have to admit

speaking of QB theatre, I see the Raiders are going to cut Jimmy G loose on Wednesday. there's another "Plan B" QB in the same market as Fields.

Schefter reporting that JJ turned down an extension "in excess" of $30 million per before the Evans signing. What does he want now and from whom does he want it?

The best part is, the Bears and GM Poles massively overplayed their hand in this situation; f'd it up royally beyond belief, thinking the market was much more than it is. Their only hope is some kind of significant injury to a QB somewhere else in the league that forces a move of desperation.

Did they though?

You go on and on about how terrible Fields is, including in the rest of your post, but maybe most GMs agree with you and wanted nothing to do with him. What the fans/media think means nothing, which you also admit. So how did they overplay their hand?

Schefter reporting that JJ turned down an extension "in excess" of $30 million per before the Evans signing. What does he want now and from whom does he want it?
See my post in 1882.

He’s also stated he wants to be the highest paid position player who isn’t a QB. There’s no sense fit him to sign stead of this FA season, until the market is set - he know also has leverage for a deal or trade to happen, since this is last year before FA.

Post in thread 'All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread'
https://gopherhole.com/boards/threa...vikings-off-season-thread.113961/post-2906329

Last edited:

We are projected to be top 3 in available cap money next year. That's with the signing of Cousins.

Aren't we pretty much guaranteed two third round picks next year as compensation.

Did they though?

You go on and on about how terrible Fields is, including in the rest of your post, but maybe most GMs agree with you and wanted nothing to do with him. What the fans/media think means nothing, which you also admit. So how did they overplay their hand?

Just going by things I've heard here and there; I would not be surprised if they could have moved him BEFORE the legal tampering period for at least a respectable pick? Now, the chairs have filled up, the potential suitors has evaporated, and there they sit.

Another area they could have f'd up, as someone brought up today, is who are they now going to be able to bring in to be that "veteran mentor" for their shiny #1 overall pick, presumably Williams? Ideally you want a veteran presence, like a Brisset or Mariota, to help your young QB learn the ropes on how to be a pro in his early days (especially someone who may have maturity issues like Williams). Now a lot of those guys are gone, signed elsewhere.

It just seems not very well thought out across the board, and honestly not many of Poles' other moves as GM have impressed very many people either. I'm happy it's happening in Chicago, couldn't happen to a better fan base!

Just going by things I've heard here and there; I would not be surprised if they could have moved him BEFORE the legal tampering period for at least a respectable pick? Now, the chairs have filled up, the potential suitors has evaporated, and there they sit.

Another area they could have f'd up, as someone brought up today, is who are they now going to be able to bring in to be that "veteran mentor" for their shiny #1 overall pick, presumably Williams? Ideally you want a veteran presence, like a Brisset or Mariota, to help your young QB learn the ropes on how to be a pro in his early days (especially someone who may have maturity issues like Williams). Now a lot of those guys are gone, signed elsewhere.

It just seems not very well thought out across the board, and honestly not many of Poles' other moves as GM have impressed very many people either. I'm happy it's happening in Chicago, couldn't happen to a better fan base!
I wonder if Poles was expecting Cousins to stay in MIN thus eliminating ATL as the most logical trade partner.

I questioned Poles in his first year there, but I think he has done a pretty good job since. He worked over Carolina in that trade last year, and now they have their pick of who they want at QB in a better draft this year. He didn't draft Fields, and I don't think there was much interest in him regardless of the timeframe.

As far as mentoring, isn't that what coaching is for? If you're saying Fields isn't a good enough mentor, why is Sam Darnold any better? Depending on what the Vikings do in the draft at QB, I think you can argue the Bears are in a better position for the future than the Vikings are right now.

I questioned Poles in his first year there, but I think he has done a pretty good job since. He worked over Carolina in that trade last year, and now they have their pick of who they want at QB in a better draft this year. He didn't draft Fields, and I don't think there was much interest in him regardless of the timeframe.

As far as mentoring, isn't that what coaching is for? If you're saying Fields isn't a good enough mentor, why is Sam Darnold any better? Depending on what the Vikings do in the draft at QB, I think you can argue the Bears are in a better position for the future than the Vikings are right now.

As far as the mentoring, I was just repeating what I heard. Obviously opinions vary on the significance of that kind of thing.

I actually had a crazy thought today while I was driving on a short road trip, listening to lots of this unravel;

If you were running the Vikings, would you give the Panthers the #11 overall pick, if they would take it, in return for Bryce Young? I liked Young a lot coming out last year, and he was obviously in just about the worst situation you could imagine, but he didn't look good, that's for sure. I wonder if the Panthers would move on so fast, and I wonder if there would be any takers?

Isn't he a free agent in '25?
You are right, I was wrong there.

We either extend him going into 24, option him, or trade him.

So that invalidates waiting to 25 to trade him.

'25 draft is supposedly QB weak, at least at this point.
I wonder how it, or this year's for that matter, will compare to the vaunted 2021 first round QB draft class???

Trevor Lawrence - solid NFL starter, nothing special
Zach Wilson
Trey Lance
Justin Fields
Mac Jones

That's what awaits the Vikings if they draft a QB in the first round this year.

I pray they are not that stupid.

I agree with you, I'm not wild about giving away a ton of future picks to move up. NFL rosters are still by and large built through the draft and we've had poor draft history for quite a few years. We need picks.

But I'm not wild about giving $30 million plus to a WR, either, when it's a heck of a lot easier to find high end receiver talent then just about any other skill position. I'd give up JJ if we could move up and get "the" guy (as opposed to "a" guy) at QB, without a net loss of picks. But QB is such a crap shoot.
Nothing to disagree with here

Right now, we're looking at starting Brandel and Ingram at Guard and Bradbury at C.

That's a problem.
Ingram improved considerably last season over his rookie season, when he was healthy.

I still chuckle how folks on here were loudly pronouncing that Risner would come in and immediately start for Ingram.

If he can take another decent step, he will be just fine.

Bradbury is just fine. Pro-bowl alternate. He figured it out. We have him signed through 2025.

I was assuming Risner was back at LG. My comment was not predicated on Brandel starting at LG. We probably need to do better than that. But so many damn holes to fill on this team, due to horses__t drafting. Preaching to the choir, I know.

He worked over Carolina in that trade last year, and now they have their pick of who they want at QB in a better draft this year.
Ugh.

This is what awaits the Vikings if we try to move up. Guaranteed. Minnesota sports to the nth degree.

Have to either trade JJ -- which at this point maybe is best for both sides -- or F over the future of draft picks.

To get Bryce Young. Guaranteed. You're not a real Minnesota sports fan if you don't know that that's guaranteed.

vXkfrCc.png

Marcus Davenport, what a joke. Watch him be comeback player of the year for Detroit. Minnesota sports

Thank God.
But it still proves you were wrong.

You wanted it to be that the Vikings just straight let him go and didn't even want to sign him. You're as pathetic as Dan B, in that regard.

Your batting average on takes/desires is down to around 0.008?

But it still proves you were wrong.

You wanted it to be that the Vikings just straight let him go and didn't even want to sign him. You're as pathetic as Dan B, in that regard.

Your batting average on takes/desires is down to around 0.008?
I see you were still right on Cousins. If that's true, you must be batting around 1.000 around here.

I come here for the comedy!

Top Bottom