All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

It made no sense to trade a guy
Correct that you don’t trade major vet players away when attempting to make the playoffs.

As I also said, Flores might’ve vetoed it. You have no clue.

In the context of “does Hunter deserve to be paid amongst the highest edge rushers in the league?”: hell no. What does he do beyond get some sacks that don’t even halt opponents drives, to be deserved to be paid like Bosa? They’re not even in the same category.

Umm, actually wiki says Sheila Ford Hemp's first major move as Chairwoman was to Fire Quinn & Patricia.

Only was involved in their retention a year earlier, not their hiring.

The turning point seems to have been when she brought on Chris Speilman.
You said when WCF (sr) died (in 2014), things changed for the Lions.

OK, I made a bad assumption that the current owner took over for him and there was no one in between.

But it still proves that your point was wrong.

The owner after WCF hired Quinn & Patricia who didn’t do jack squat better.

Shiela got lucky as hell to hit on Holmes and Campbell. As does every ownership group when they happen to hit on someone good.

I think KAM is an unlucky miss. He was perfectly qualified. I still think KOC is a great hire. Wilfs are objectively top owners in the league.

It was obviously going be a long shot to get ahead of them in the standings.
Nope. Desperate assertion is denied.

We didn’t know that. And it certainly seemed like Dobbs was some miracle, at the start. Hindsight is 20/20.

Translation: I was ok with them NOT trading Hunter. The Wild Card was still worth pursuing, IMO.

It failed. In hindsight.
Agreed

You said when WCF (sr) died (in 2014), things changed for the Lions.

OK, I made a bad assumption that the current owner took over for him and there was no one in between.

But it still proves that your point was wrong.

The owner after WCF hired Quinn & Patricia who didn’t do jack squat better.

Shiela got lucky as hell to hit on Holmes and Campbell. As does every ownership group when they happen to hit on someone good.

I think KAM is an unlucky miss. He was perfectly qualified. I still think KOC is a great hire. Wilfs are objectively top owners in the league.

I never the said the change was immediate after Henry Clay Ford passed away. You jumped to that conclusion.

Maybe Sheila got lucky. Don't know. Time will tell, depending on subsequent decisions made. Not even sure the current regime is great. Could just be a blip. Regardless the decision to cut bait quickly on Quinn & Patricia seems sound.

Hard to tell on KOC. I reserve judgement. Won a lot of games Year 1 despite a lousy DC hire on his part. I'm not sure why you give him a pass on that.

Sub .500 in Year 2. Open to some second guessing on some coaching decisions both before and after the Cousins injury. Could be a great coach, could just be a flash in the pan. NFL has had lots of them.

Last edited:

Nope. Desperate assertion is denied.

We didn’t know that. And it certainly seemed like Dobbs was some miracle, at the start. Hindsight is 20/20.
In hindsight, the fact Dobbs was cast off 8 previous times should have clued one in that his start with Vikings was not sustainable for any big time success.

It would have been swell to have a reliable running game to fall back on.

Last edited:

Good news is we should have clarity by Sunday. Vikings are going to have to give in to make it happen

Christian Wilkins linked to two teams in free agency​

Making it past the franchise-tag application deadline, Christian Wilkins is days away from becoming one of this year’s top free agents. The interior defensive lineman’s 2023 bet on himself appears close to paying off.

With the Ravens franchise-tagging Justin Madubuike, Wilkins will have a big opportunity ahead. If the Chiefs can re-sign Chris Jones at the 11th hour, Wilkins will have a clear runway to become the top defender available this year. Four days from this year’s legal tampering period, two landing spots have emerged for the five-year Dolphins D-lineman.

Via the Washington Post’s Jason La Canfora, several GMs are predicting the Texans will come out of this year’s signing period with Wilkins. They will be far from the only team interested in the high-level run defender who showed his best pass-rushing stuff in 2023; KSTP’s Darren Wolfson mentioned during an appearance on SKOR North the Vikings are expected to have interest in the former first-round pick.

Ranked fourth on PFR’s top 50 free-agent list, Wilkins has a clear Vikings connection in second-year Minnesota DC Brian Flores. The veteran coach made Wilkins his first draft choice when in place as Dolphins HC back in 2019
; Flores coached Wilkins for three years. The Vikings have not enjoyed much success in terms of interior D-line pressure in many years. Wilkins’ nine sacks from 2023 would be Minnesota’s most from an interior defender since Kevin Williams reached 11.5 in 2004. The Vikings also have major questions about their pass rush as a whole, with Danielle Hunter, D.J. Wonnum and Marcus Davenport due for free agency.

In hindsight, the fact Dobbs was cast off 8 previous times should have clued one in that his start with Vikings was not sustainable for any big time success.
Wouldn't be unprecedented for a guy to figure out it. He didn't. Oh well.

The only people I feel bad for are the ones who rushed out to buy jerseys with "Dobbs" on the back (and believe me, I saw them at games) :ROFLMAO:

It would have been swell to have a reliable running game to fall back on.
For some reason people don't much realize this ... but Cam Akers going down was another massive injury that messed up the offense.

Mattison was a mistake. He can do some things, but Akers really gave the running game a shot of life. Damn shame, don't know if he'll recover from this last one.

I never the said the change was immediate after Henry Clay Ford passed away.
:sneaky: sure you did.

You jumped to that conclusion.

Maybe Sheila got lucky. Don't know. Time will tell, depending on subsequent decisions made. Not even sure the current regime is great. Could just be a blip.
Oh now (all but) making it to the Super Bowl just one time, isn't even good enough.

Good lord, king of fake takes.

Hard to tell on KOC. I reserve judgement. Won a lot of games Year 1 despite a lousy DC hire on his part. I'm not sure why you give him a pass on that.

Sub .500 in Year 2. Open to some second guessing on some coaching decisions both before and after the Cousins injury. Could be a great coach, could just be a flash in the pan. NFL has had lots of them.
OK

(Not sure what you mean of giving him a pass on.)

:sneaky: sure you did.
Well I didn't. Over 5 decades of failure in which Henry Clay was in charge. He passed, and the widow kept the status quo for a few years. Then change.

That's my high level take.

Oh now (all but) making it to the Super Bowl just one time, isn't even good enough.

Good lord, king of fake takes
If the Lions follow up this season by having a decade without any playoff victories and mostly missing the playoffs entirely would this regime be deemed "a success"?

Over time, I don't think it would any more than when they advanced that ONE time to the NFC Championship in the early 90s with Sanders. It would be simply lamented as a huge missed opportunity.

Making it past the franchise-tag application deadline, Christian Wilkins is days away from becoming one of this year’s top free agents. The interior defensive lineman’s 2023 bet on himself appears close to paying off.

With the Ravens franchise-tagging Justin Madubuike, Wilkins will have a big opportunity ahead. If the Chiefs can re-sign Chris Jones at the 11th hour, Wilkins will have a clear runway to become the top defender available this year. Four days from this year’s legal tampering period, two landing spots have emerged for the five-year Dolphins D-lineman.

Via the Washington Post’s Jason La Canfora, several GMs are predicting the Texans will come out of this year’s signing period with Wilkins. They will be far from the only team interested in the high-level run defender who showed his best pass-rushing stuff in 2023; KSTP’s Darren Wolfson mentioned during an appearance on SKOR North the Vikings are expected to have interest in the former first-round pick.

Ranked fourth on PFR’s top 50 free-agent list, Wilkins has a clear Vikings connection in second-year Minnesota DC Brian Flores. The veteran coach made Wilkins his first draft choice when in place as Dolphins HC back in 2019
; Flores coached Wilkins for three years. The Vikings have not enjoyed much success in terms of interior D-line pressure in many years. Wilkins’ nine sacks from 2023 would be Minnesota’s most from an interior defender since Kevin Williams reached 11.5 in 2004. The Vikings also have major questions about their pass rush as a whole, with Danielle Hunter, D.J. Wonnum and Marcus Davenport due for free agency.

Yes please

So much is up in the air with how our salary cap will shake out but if we can figure out a way to sign him, he'd be a DL fixture for the next 3-5 years. I'd much rather spend the money on him than Hunter at this point.

Hopefully not just a pipe dream but players like Wilkins don't hit FA like hardly ever; I am thinking someone will pay him a pretty outrageous amount, more than KAM is willing to pony up.

We can hope though, he's probably the most impactful player available

Hopefully not just a pipe dream but players like Wilkins don't hit FA like hardly ever; I am thinking someone will pay him a pretty outrageous amount, more than KAM is willing to pony up.

We can hope though, he's probably the most impactful player available
What’s your opinion on McDaniels?

I’m thinking he could do really well, like get to a SB at some point, or flame out.

What’s your opinion on McDaniels?

I’m thinking he could do really well, like get to a SB at some point, or flame out.

The Dolphins HC? I think he's a pretty smart guy and a pretty good HC, but he's going to be limited by Tua. I'm the wrong person to ask, I'm not a Tua fan. I think he's got some pretty significant limitations, and from what I gather, Miami has some pretty tough salary cap decisions this offseason, as evidenced by them not being able to do anything with Wilkins

And draft Murphy at 11 - New Purple People Eaters

Per Shooter:

>> To move up from the Vikings’ No. 11 slot in next month’s draft to No. 3 to take an elite QB, it would cost at least this year’s first-round pick plus first-round picks in 2025 and 2026.

Carolina last year, tired of signing veteran QBs like Sam Arnold, Baker Mayfield and Teddy Bridgewater without success, decided to gamble and moved from No. 9 overall to No. 1 to take Alabama’s Bryce Young, who was underwhelming in his rookie season. The move with Chicago cost the Panthers their Nos. 9 and No. 61 picks in 2023, their first-rounder this year, a second-rounder in 2025 plus standout wide receiver DJ Moore.

>> For years, the Vikings haven’t had favorable salary cap situations. But in 2025 they could have as much as $100 million in cap room.

Skol Vikes!!

from The Athletic: ([posted at about 11:20am CDT Sunday)

It's a big night in Minnesota. The Vikings are expected to hear from Kirk Cousins as to his free agency decision, sources tell Dianna Russini and Alec Lewis. Minnesota will have until Wednesday when his contract voids to extend Cousins before his dead cap officially hits.

To move up from the Vikings’ No. 11 slot in next month’s draft to No. 3 to take an elite QB, it would cost at least this year’s first-round pick plus first-round picks in 2025 and 2026.

Carolina last year, tired of signing veteran QBs like Sam Arnold, Baker Mayfield and Teddy Bridgewater without success, decided to gamble and moved from No. 9 overall to No. 1 to take Alabama’s Bryce Young
It's incredible how stupid such a move would be.

Hey look, if your team happens to suck so badly that you organically "earn" a top 3 pick, fine. Do it.

Trading into it??? Just so F'ing stupid. You deserve Bryce Young, for doing it.

Top Bottom