All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

saw this statistic --

The Vikings have drafted a player in the top 10 picks of the 1st round a total of 18 times in their history. They have never drafted a QB with a top 10 pick.

as of right now, the Vikes would draft 11th in the 1st round. so they would have to trade up into the top 10 and pick a QB to end that streak.
------
went down a rabbit hole - Vikings' all-time 1st-round draft picks by draft order and position
pick #1 - RB, OT
#2 - RB
#3 - DT
#4 - DE, OT
#5 - none
#6 - DE
#7 - DT, RB, OT, WR, RB
#8 - WR, WR
#9 - DE, DT, LB
#10 - LB
#11 - DE, QB (Duante), CB
#12 - RB, QB (Ponder)
#13 - DT
#14 - DE, RB
#15 - DT
#16 - RB, DE
#17 - LB, LB
#18 - CB, C
#19 - S, G, OT
#20 - LB, DE
#21 - DE, RB, WR
#22 - WR, WR
#23 - DT, WR, OT, WR
#24 - RB, OT
#25 - OT, OT, DE, DT, DT, CB
#26 - none
#27 - QB(Kramer), RB
#28 - none
#29 - DE, S, WR
#30- CB
#31 - CB
#32 - QB(Teddy), S

if my math is correct, the Vikings all-time 1st-round draft pick totals go like this
DE - 10
RB - 9
WR - 9
OT - 9
DT - 8
LB - 5
CB - 5
QB - 4
S - 3
C - 1
G - 1
I’d take another Daunte with the 11th pick

going through every 1st round draft pick in franchise history reminded me of some aspects of Vikings' history that most of us would like to forget. there were names on there that I honestly did not remember.

some candidates for least-memorable 1st rounders:
2016 - Laquon Treadwell WR Ole Miss
2005 - Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina & Erasmus James, DE Wisconsin
1999- (2nd pick in 1st round) Dimitrius Underwood, DE, Mich State
1997 - Dwayne Rudd, LB Alabama
1996- Duane Clemons, DE, California
1978 - Randy Holloway, DE, Pittsburgh
1976 - James White, DT, Oklahoma State
1971 - Leo Hayden, RB Ohio State
1970 - John Ward, OT, Oklahoma State
1966 - Jerry Shay, DT, Purdue

going through every 1st round draft pick in franchise history reminded me of some aspects of Vikings' history that most of us would like to forget. there were names on there that I honestly did not remember.

"Bonus pick" - Denny Green

"Bonus pick" - Denny Green
Oof.

Anyone who says a pick is a bonus pick or a luxury pick is a moron.

There are always holes to fill, position groups to deepen, or upcoming expensive contracts to consider.

The CEH pick by the Chiefs is a prime example of foolishness. Imagine if they drafted Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman Jr. instead. They were the first 2 WRs drafted after CEH, they didn't have much at WR next to Hill, and Hill was about to get paid.

I don't think James "Duck" White was a bust.

He played 8 seasons through 1983, seemed at least a solid Defensive lineman. Played 117 games and started 61. If this link is correct, he did not miss a game during his tenure.

1982 was Strike Shortened, so 9 was the max.

I don't think James "Duck" White was a bust.

He played 8 seasons through 1983, seemed at least a solid Defensive lineman. Played 117 games and started 61. If this link is correct, he did not miss a game during his tenure.

1982 was Strike Shortened, so 9 was the max.

not saying he was a bust. I just didn't remember him.

Dwayne Rudd was a starter on the 1998 Vikings and Duane Clemons was a decent reserve who ended up starting multiple years for the Chiefs. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Underwood and Williamson etc.

Dwayne Rudd was a starter on the 1998 Vikings and Duane Clemons was a decent reserve who ended up starting multiple years for the Chiefs. I wouldn't put them in the same category as Underwood and Williamson etc.

again - when I say memorable - I'm saying that I didn't remember them. in all fairness I did remember Treadwell and Williamson, but the others are pretty obscure unless you are a die-hard Vikings fan with a photographic memory.

Saw on NFL live that the Vikes had the third highest pass win rate % this season.

75 Chiefs
68 Pack
66 Purple

Does this mean the line was better than advertised on here?

Does this mean that our running game would have been significantly better with a better back? Or did our run blocking blow that much? No ideas what the win rate was on run plays for us.

I’m interested in people who know more about pro football than me. So that means most of you. I’ll hang up and listen.

Saw on NFL live that the Vikes had the third highest pass win rate % this season.

75 Chiefs
68 Pack
66 Purple

Does this mean that our running game would have been significantly better with a better back? Or did our run blocking blow that much? No ideas what the win rate was on run plays for us.

I’m interested in people who know more about pro football than me. So that means most of you. I’ll hang up and listen.
It means cuz is gonna get paid 45 mill to play.

True story; I bought an authentic Erasmus James jersey back in 2005. I wanted a jersey of someone that not that many people would have, but might be a stud for the Purple for years to come.

BTW, I have a jersey curse, there's no other way to explain it. They either get traded, injured, or turn out to be flat out busts. I've now gone with just a custom jersey, or else I just wear team polos or sweatshirts to the game.

FFS, later in his rookie year with the Cardinals, I bought a Josh Rosen authentic jersey (still got it!). I think it was the last game of the season that year or the second to last, I'm in the bathroom taking a piss during a TV timeout, guy walks in behind me and sees the jersey and says "You're going all in early, huh?!" SMH....

75 Chiefs
68 Pack
66 Purple

Oh where, oh where, are the Vikingologists to answer my above query?

Don’t leave me hanging, lest I start doubting your Vikes’ acumen.

Oh where, oh where, are the Vikingologists to answer my above query?

Don’t leave me hanging, lest I start doubting your Vikes’ acumen.
You talking about this?
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ing-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams#teams

Our pass rush win rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Likewise, our pass block win rate metric conveys the rate linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer.

This doesn’t clarify what happens if our guy blocks him for 3sec but then he ends up getting a sack because our QB was a dumbass. To me that’s not necessarily the OL’s fault. But then you get some loudmouth know-nothing proclaiming that the line got their ass kicked :rolleyes:

Raiders hire former Chicago OC Luke Getsy, who Bears fans and Justin Fields apologists hammered for the last couple years for holding back Fields and not tailoring the offense to Fields' "strengths".

For a QB-needy team like the Raiders, it will scream to the entire league of just how viable Fields is as a franchise QB in the NFL if the Raiders don't make a move to acquire Fields. That should tell everyone everything they need to know about the former OSU QB.

True story; I bought an authentic Erasmus James jersey back in 2005. I wanted a jersey of someone that not that many people would have, but might be a stud for the Purple for years to come.

BTW, I have a jersey curse, there's no other way to explain it. They either get traded, injured, or turn out to be flat out busts. I've now gone with just a custom jersey, or else I just wear team polos or sweatshirts to the game.

FFS, later in his rookie year with the Cardinals, I bought a Josh Rosen authentic jersey (still got it!). I think it was the last game of the season that year or the second to last, I'm in the bathroom taking a piss during a TV timeout, guy walks in behind me and sees the jersey and says "You're going all in early, huh?!" SMH....
If it makes you feel better I was certain that Rosen would be the best QB in that draft class. Oops

If it makes you feel better I was certain that Rosen would be the best QB in that draft class. Oops

For a short while there, Cardinals country took to calling him "The Rosen One". Oh boy...

I'm still out $300! All is not lost however; when I take someone to a Cardinals game who is not a Cards fan and has no game gear, I make them wear that jersey. So at least it still serves a purpose.

Word is, Rosen has an aloof southern CA attitude that makes him extremely unlikeable in the locker room, at least in AZ. He was not well-liked, which could have saved his ass.

I wasn't super against drafting K. Murray #1 overall, but I was hoping they would take Nick Bosa (shit, or even Quinnen Williams) and roll with Rosen one more season; if it doesn't work out, at least you have a top tier pass-rusher for a decade and you can address the QB again.

My favorite jersey that I still wear on special occasions is for Chris Walsh. 5th string WR and special teams stud.

Yes and thank you. So 3rd for passing and 19th for running, while the two aforementioned teams in front of us, Chiefs and Pack are 1 Pass & 20 Run and 2 Pass & 16 Run respectively, but seemingly have much better running attacks than us.

As someone who sees only a handful of Purple action a year, I was wondering why the difference between pass and run blocking numbers?

Our pass rush win rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Likewise, our pass block win rate metric conveys the rate linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer.

This doesn’t clarify what happens if our guy blocks him for 3sec but then he ends up getting a sack because our QB was a dumbass. To me that’s not necessarily the OL’s fault. But then you get some loudmouth know-nothing proclaiming that the line got their ass kicked :rolleyes:
I’m assuming the 2.5 baseline isn’t arbitrary, but more likely the length needed to be sustained for the play to have the best odds of being effective.

I have thoughts/opinions on many sports/topics, but an still wondering what thoughts are based on the following questions -

Does this mean that our running game would have been significantly better with a better back?

Or did our run blocking blow that much?

I have thoughts/opinions on many sports/topics, but an still wondering what thoughts are based on the following questions -

Does this mean that our running game would have been significantly better with a better back?

From the sounds of it from people who know a lot more than I do, as nuts as it sounds, the run blocking was actually just fine; we had some backs who missed holes and didn't make guys miss either. I'm one that has always been guilty of believing that for the most part, RB's can be fairly interchangeable, but I guess that wasn't the case for the Vikings this year.

From the sounds of it from people who know a lot more than I do, as nuts as it sounds, the run blocking was actually just fine; we had some backs who missed holes and didn't make guys miss either. I'm one that has always been guilty of believing that for the most part, RB's can be fairly interchangeable, but I guess that wasn't the case for the Vikings this year.
Thanks, imagine our offensive with Pacheco.

Mattison seems like a fine backup.

Thanks, imagine our offensive with Pacheco.

Mattison seems like a fine backup.
It was better when Cam Akers was getting touches. Really unfortunate injury for him. No idea if he realistically can come back from I believe his second injury like that!

Yes and thank you. So 3rd for passing and 19th for running, while the two aforementioned teams in front of us, Chiefs and Pack are 1 Pass & 20 Run and 2 Pass & 16 Run respectively, but seemingly have much better running attacks than us.

As someone who sees only a handful of Purple action a year, I was wondering why the difference between pass and run blocking numbers?

I’m assuming the 2.5 baseline isn’t arbitrary, but more likely the length needed to be sustained for the play to have the best odds of being effective.

All I can say is, if the pass rush/blocking is purely based on beating/sustaining the block at 2.5sec and nothing more, that seems kind of silly.

It’s then going to favor teams who ran more drop back passes with longer developing routes. Regardless if anything happened on the play.

All I can say is, if the pass rush/blocking is purely based on beating/sustaining the block at 2.5sec and nothing more, that seems kind of silly.

It’s then going to favor teams who ran more drop back passes with longer developing routes. Regardless if anything happened on the play.
Few things in life are perfect, except the Purple’s propensity to disappoint - thst never fails🤣

It could always be worse!

Jets owner Woody Johnson: 'We've got to produce this year'​

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson slammed backup quarterback Zach Wilson and turned up the heat on coach Robert Saleh and general manager Joe Douglas in an interview Thursday night at the NFL Honors awards show in Las Vegas.

Johnson, speaking publicly for the first time since the end of the season, said he is angry because of the team's disappointing 7-10 finish. He all but issued a playoff mandate for Saleh and Douglas, something the longtime owner never had done before with a coach or a GM.

"The discussions I've had in the last couple of months, they've seen me about as mad as I can be with what was going on, with the offense particularly," Johnson said, according to reports. "We have all this talent, and we have to deploy talent properly. So I think they all got the message. This is it. This is the time to go. We've got to produce this year.

Michael Lombardi has been saying this for a few weeks; sounds like the Cowboys may be pretty close to hiring Mike Zimmer as their DC. Good move for the Cowboys, he'll take care of the Defense for McCarthy

Top Bottom