All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I originally screwed up that he was on the Pats when he won the SB twice. So when ope posted:

I mistook that for being a 2x NFC champion.

I screwed up twice.
My bad, I knew San Fran hadn't won the Super Bowl since Steve Young. Didn't think about questioning/correcting the "2X" part of the statement.

No it isn't. Trading for a young QB who's "blocked" on his current team like Jimmy G or Brett Favre is very different than spending top $$ on an established free agent.
$$$ is indeed the actual thing.

They paid more than a rookie deal.

Sliced in half

I guess it's just that easy - just tell the salary-cap people to make the numbers work. it's like magic.
For some reason, a very basic fact eludes you and others here: the salary cap increases.

And indeed, there are "magic" things like void years and such. Hey, I don't get them, but they're there.

you pull out a piece (sign a player to a big deal) and hope that the entire structure does not collapse. but sooner or later, you pull out enough pieces and the structure collapses.
Or you win the Super Bowl.

As has been asked hypothetically to Vikings fans and agreed upon:

- given the choice over the next 15 years to "do a deal with the devil" and make it to the Super Bowl once, and have 14 years of say half/half not making the playoffs or not making out of the first round

- OR making the playoffs 85% of the time and winning a game more than half the seasons you make it, but never making it past the NFC Championship game

The former is objectively correct.

Print out the contract.

Again, I'd highly recommend giving this a listen if any of you have 20-25 minutes. Braun is a pretty sharp cat, borderline pretty nerdy, but he's generally spot on. Here he lays out how the Vikings can sign Hunter, Jefferson, Harrison Smith retires, etc. The Vikings are actually in VERY good shape with the cap in 2024 and EXCEPTIONALLY good shape with the cap in 2025.

BuT tHe SaLaRy CaP iS hArD!!!

https://frontofficesports.com/business-is-booming-nfl-salary-cap-projected-to-soar-past-240m/

Business Is Booming: NFL Salary Cap Projected to Soar Past $240M

• The NFL salary cap could grow to $240 million or more during the 2024 season

Soaring Cap

Because of the disruption caused by COVID, the NFL’s salary cap — as well as every other major sports league’s — went through an up-and-down period:

• 2023: $224.8 million
  • 2022: $208.2 million
  • 2021: $182.5 million
  • 2020: $198.2 million
  • 2019: $188.2 million

https://frontofficesports.com/business-is-booming-nfl-salary-cap-projected-to-soar-past-240m/

Business Is Booming: NFL Salary Cap Projected to Soar Past $240M

• The NFL salary cap could grow to $240 million or more during the 2024 season

Soaring Cap

Because of the disruption caused by COVID, the NFL’s salary cap — as well as every other major sports league’s — went through an up-and-down period:

• 2023: $224.8 million
  • 2022: $208.2 million
  • 2021: $182.5 million
  • 2020: $198.2 million
  • 2019: $188.2 million
What’s Taylor and Travis’ cut?

how's this for an analogy - the NFL salary cap is like the game Jenga.

you pull out a piece (sign a player to a big deal) and hope that the entire structure does not collapse. but sooner or later, you pull out enough pieces and the structure collapses.

seriously - Murray, I get what you are saying. every move you make has implications for the rest of the roster. sign a WR, and you might not be able to sign another DB. sign the QB to a big deal, and you might have to cut a veteran at another position to make it work.

in reality, it is a jigsaw puzzle. if you can make the pieces all fit, they form a picture. and presumably, the GM knows what he wants the picture to look like. but if you lose a piece, then you wind up with a picture that has holes in it.

That's a great analogy. I like the Jenga/jigsaw take. Well said.

In talking team building and salary cap stuff, I see certain viewpoints among the fans that are, while not universal, certainly common.

For example, in the Great Blame Game, many fans heap scorn upon the following (in order): the coach, the offensive coordinator/playcaller, the quarterback.

Wide receivers, in contrast, are having a moment. Fans in general seem to love wide receivers.

To each his own, of course. But I can't help but wonder how valuable a star receiver is to a team that has a sub-par QB. Some say that a great receiver can hide the flaws of the sub-par QB. I have my doubts about that particular idea.

Yep, and if you sign JJ to a 7 year deal, lets say..........In 3 years it will seem like a steal.
The problem with this logic is because most deals aren't fully guaranteed, both sides want to keep negotiating even with a signed contract. KC had Mahomes signed long term and had to give him extra money like 2 years in "because he was underpaid compared to his peers". If JJ signs a long-term deal, he keeps performing at this level, and the WR contracts keep going up, it is likely he'll have his hand out asking for more at some point. It was just a matter of time until this started to happen when you don't give out guaranteed contracts. Players are already doing it often when franchise tagged, which is essentially the extension of a long-term contract.

To each his own, of course. But I can't help but wonder how valuable a star receiver is to a team that has a sub-par QB. Some say that a great receiver can hide the flaws of the sub-par QB. I have my doubts about that particular idea.

If you have a sub-par QB, you're screwed. really doesn't matter what else you have. the only way you can win with a sub-par QB is to have a great running game and one of the best defenses in the league. and even then, it's going to be a tightrope act.

I guess I hold to the notion that it is easier to find capable WR's than it is to find a capable QB. Look what Mahomes is doing with a very nondescript collection of receivers. or to put it another way - the QB makes the receivers more than the receivers make the QB.

you'd love to have both - a really good QB and really good WR's. but if you can only have one, I'll take the QB first and worry about the WR's later.

Have heard some speculation that Penix will go to the Vikings … in the 2nd round.

And that the top 10 will all be offensive players.

Giving Vikings the chance to draft the top defensive player, perhaps the one that @kg21 mentioned earlier.

It already does - more than six months, actually. Players report in July, and the Super Bowl is now in mid-February.
I was thinking with their international ambitions, that they’ll end up with an extended bye period during the schedule, thus elongating the schedule itself to 6 months eventually, probably long after Roger and me have departed thus early realm.

Heard the current odds of Cousins team next year:

Vikings -200 :love:
Falcons +300
Washington
Vegas

No surprise at all that this clickbait headline on this article was lying. After all , you posted it!

“Many people who ask, including friends and family, are surprised to learn that the conversations really don’t begin until March,” Cousins said. “I would love to know where I’m going. I would love to get those conversations going now.”

Cousins wasn’t criticizing the Vikings or other prospective destinations, such as the Atlanta Falcons, for not engaging with him up to this point. In fact, Atlanta would be breaking league rules by negotiating with Cousins in any manner ahead of March 11, which is two days before free agency officially begins on March 13.

caught a bit of Goodell's interview as part of the Monday media extravaganza in Vegas.

several questions about streaming and whether more games will wind up on subscription streaming services.

Goodell said that the vast majority of NFL games will remain on 'free' broadcast TV stations. But he noted that some of the same arguments were made when the NFL started putting games on ESPN, which required a cable tv subscription. as cable TV became the primary method for TV viewing, people accepted NFL games on Cable. now, as viewing moves from cable to streaming, Goodell said that eventually, people will accept more games on streaming - especially younger viewers who are more likely to be cord-cutters.

and I will note that even ABC, NBC and CBS are not free if you live outside of a major city and cannot pick up signals from an antenna. where I live, you have to have cable, satellite or streaming to watch TV.

Max doesn't have the NFL.

Prime has the NFL. I have Prime mainly for the shipping.
It wouldn't surprise me if the NFL takes bids for this one off game from other broadcast/streaming entities, beyond the ones they already have agreements with. The only Friday game they had last year was the Day After Thanksgiving.

Not sure one way or another if that's a possibility in the existing contracts.

I know. It was a joke. They don't have it yet.
MAX does have some NBA & NHL, so the yet part could certainly be in play, if not next year some time in the future.

If you have a sub-par QB, you're screwed. really doesn't matter what else you have. the only way you can win with a sub-par QB is to have a great running game and one of the best defenses in the league. and even then, it's going to be a tightrope act.

I guess I hold to the notion that it is easier to find capable WR's than it is to find a capable QB. Look what Mahomes is doing with a very nondescript collection of receivers. or to put it another way - the QB makes the receivers more than the receivers make the QB.

you'd love to have both - a really good QB and really good WR's. but if you can only have one, I'll take the QB first and worry about the WR's later.

Again, I agree whole-heartedly. Wells said, SON.

saw this statistic --

The Vikings have drafted a player in the top 10 picks of the 1st round a total of 18 times in their history. They have never drafted a QB with a top 10 pick.

as of right now, the Vikes would draft 11th in the 1st round. so they would have to trade up into the top 10 and pick a QB to end that streak.
------
went down a rabbit hole - Vikings' all-time 1st-round draft picks by draft order and position
pick #1 - RB, OT
#2 - RB
#3 - DT
#4 - DE, OT
#5 - none
#6 - DE
#7 - DT, RB, OT, WR, RB
#8 - WR, WR
#9 - DE, DT, LB
#10 - LB
#11 - DE, QB (Duante), CB
#12 - RB, QB (Ponder)
#13 - DT
#14 - DE, RB
#15 - DT
#16 - RB, DE
#17 - LB, LB
#18 - CB, C
#19 - S, G, OT
#20 - LB, DE
#21 - DE, RB, WR
#22 - WR, WR
#23 - DT, WR, OT, WR
#24 - RB, OT
#25 - OT, OT, DE, DT, DT, CB
#26 - none
#27 - QB(Kramer), RB
#28 - none
#29 - DE, S, WR
#30- CB
#31 - CB
#32 - QB(Teddy), S

if my math is correct, the Vikings all-time 1st-round draft pick totals go like this
DE - 10
RB - 9
WR - 9
OT - 9
DT - 8
LB - 5
CB - 5
QB - 4
S - 3
C - 1
G - 1

Top Bottom