All Things 2024 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

They didn't come up big. They didn't recover the ball.

That's the entire point.
Disagree. I think if the offense is going to be risky and reach for the pylon, there should be risk-reward for fumbling it out of bounds into the end zone.

Again, don't fumble. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Don't reach for a TD? That's the product we want on TV? That will sell?

Don't reach for a First Down? But wait ... if you do, and it rolls out of bounds ...... nothing happens.

Just make it consistent.

I see, so you want the rules changed so that if the offense ever fumbles the ball and it rolls out of bounds before either team can recover it, anywhere on the field, then it's automatically a turnover.

I disagree with that. That would be a terrible rule.
The end zone is different than the rest of the field. Offense scores just by breaking the plane of the goal line, don't have to have both feet in or any other part of the body. The current rule works just fine.

I like it.

Don't reach for a TD? That's the product we want on TV? That will sell?

Don't reach for a First Down? But wait ... if you do, and it rolls out of bounds ...... nothing happens.

Just make it consistent.
It's been selling just fine on TV for over 60 years. A solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

It's been selling just fine on TV for over 60 years.
The NFL has never changed their rules. Ever.
They've never attempted to improve the game. Ever.

It was already getting good ratings. That's why they've never changed anything. Ever.

:rolleyes:

The Chargers loss was a travesty.

Chiefs are in the AFC Championship for sixth time in a row. Bucs were right there with a solid chance to make the NFC Championship. Eagles went downhill badly, but at the time we were sent on the road with short rest to the defending NFC champion.

Cousins wins every. game. that those backups won, and by more points.

Cousins wins the Broncos, Bears, and Bengals games that we had to try hard to lose.

So, try again: 10-4. That's what we would've "started" with Cousins staying healthy at QB, playing as well as he was when he got injured.

Last three games, you never know. Defense getting injured and falling off a cliff would've been tough .... but then again Cousins won 13 games in 2022 with zero defense, if I recall correctly?
None of that explains that starting at 4-4 that they wouldn't have continued to be around .500 for the rest of the season. Zero evidence.

Last edited:

10-4

You pushing your own agenda is your prerogative.
Yeah, were all doing that.

The Lions just beat the Bucs at home (after also beating them on the road). The Vikings lost to Tampa at Home. Detroit would have won the NFC North handily, even with a healthy Cousins. To think otherwise is delusional.

Heck, the Mullens threw for 800 yds in the 2 losses in weeks 16 & 18. Cousins would have done better? He also lost to Detroit in 2022.

I see, so you want the rules changed so that if the offense ever fumbles the ball and it rolls out of bounds before either team can recover it, anywhere on the field, then it's automatically a turnover.

I disagree with that. That would be a terrible rule.
Never said that. The rule as it is, doesn't need to change.

What a crappy weekend of NFL football.
Much better weekend of Divisional Playoffs than it was in the Wild Card. Pretty good theater. Even the Texans made the Ravens sweat.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can't make it up.

"You only won 13 games!!!! Can't win you, you loser!!"

the point of my post - which is clear if you look at the entire post and not just one line - is that the Vikings in 6 seasons during the Kirk Cousins era have qualified for the playoffs in 2 out of 6 seasons - and in the two seasons they did qualify for the playoffs, the team went 1-2 in playoff games.

during the Kirk Cousins era the Vikings have made the playoffs in 33% of the seasons and actually won a playoff game in 16% of the seasons.

the Vikings are not winning playoff games or contending for a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins.

the team is not good enough to win meaningful games with Kirk Cousins. Meaningful - as in winning playoff games and actually contending for a Super Bowl.

the team needs to rethink its entire approach, top to bottom.

so they can rebuild around a 36-year old expensive QB coming off an Achilles injury, or rebuild around a younger, less expensive and healthier QB.

I know which option I would choose.

during the Kirk Cousins era the Vikings have made the playoffs in 33% of the seasons and actually won a playoff game in 16% of the seasons.
Currently, 14/32 teams make the playoffs (43.8%) so Kirk is below average while with the Vikings on that front. Even in 2018-19 when it was only 12/32 (37.5%).

In order of whom im rooting for

Lions
49ers
Ravens
Chiefs - only because they won it last year. I like Mahomes and Reid

Lions
49ers
Ravens
I don't mind the Chiefs, but I am so tired of them cutting away to Taylor Swift every 5 seconds that I am now rooting against them.

Deebo Samuel 50/50 to play for the 49ers this week.

If he can't go (or is nothing more than a decoy), I really like the Lions chances.

Sacred ground in the end of zone. Don't cough it up. I like the rewarding of the defense for coming big there.

There is nothing wrong with the rule. Offense lost the ball, they don’t deserve to keep it. A vast majority of the rules favor the offense. This is one that doesn’t and should not be changed.
Should every fumble out of bounds go to the defense then?

Deebo Samuel 50/50 to play for the 49ers this week.

If he can't go (or is nothing more than a decoy), I really like the Lions chances.
I don't gamble anymore, but if I did, I'd put a lot on 49's to cover. Think Goff will be under pressure all game, which he then struggles. We'll see.

Should every fumble out of bounds go to the defense then?
I am fine with the offense retaining possession for the other 100 yds of the playing field.

I see no reason why the End Zone has to be the same as the rest of the field. It can be different. Just by definition alone it is separated from the rest of the playing surface. No plays originate from there. Fumble, lose the ball.

I like it.

Be more secure with the ball near the end zone. Again problem solved.

I don't gamble anymore, but if I did, I'd put a lot on 49's to cover. Think Goff will be under pressure all game, which he then struggles. We'll see.
On the Tony Kornheiser podcast, his guest Jason La Confora, listed several stats that indicated the 49ers D-line has been really below average for past 2 months, against the pass and especially against the run.

The Lions have more than a punchers chance, IMO.

On the Tony Kornheiser podcast, his guest Jason La Confora, listed several stats that indicated the 49ers D-line has been really below average for past 2 months, against the pass and especially against the run.

Watching the game Saturday, the Niners D-line was non-existent most of the game. Bosa and especially Young got manhandled by the Tackles and Young was being blocked by WR with ease quite often.

Lions
49ers
Ravens

I have a futures bet I put on the Lions to win the NFC, back on Oct 16, at (+550) so I guess I have to root for the Lions.

Also have a futures bet to win the SB, back on Oct 29, at 11-1 (+1100) so Go Ravens!!

Absolutely. The 49ers defense has been far from excellent for a few months now. I recall a few of the Lions OL getting banged up during the game yesterday, a lot will depend on how healthy they are up front.

Detroit would have won the NFC North handily, even with a healthy Cousins.
Certainly possible, and I haven't said otherwise. I've only said multiple times that the last three games would've been interesting, with the Vikings 10-4 and Cousins playing MVP level.

Heck, the Mullens threw for 800 yds in the 2 losses in weeks 16 & 18. Cousins would have done better?
Yes.

Fewer turnovers. More TDs.

Top Bottom