All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Jackson Holliday being called up by Baltimore. The amount of talent that organization has is insane. They have another top prospect, the #2 pick in 2020 named Heston Kjerstad that had 21 RBI in a 4-game stretch in triple a last week.

That's why Correa is so valuable. He ran all the way to the right field line to get the throw and then deliver a strike to home. Such a good player.

To further clarify, my 8th grade coach didn’t allow any breaking balls - this was also the case for the summer Pony league team I played on as well. The thought process was, as I recall, you didn’t want to put that kind of stress/strain on an arm that was still growing at that point - so instead I threw a crappy palm ball.

We also weren’t allowed to use free weights until 9th grade, per the football coach who ran our S&C program in HS. He said, “You can just use the universal machine, until you get some hair on your sack.”
In little league, we had pitchers basically throw a fastball (2 fingers on the ball), and a changeup (three fingers on the ball).

21-year-old second baseman Rod Carew connected for two hits in his major league debut on this date in 1967.

He had 150 hits that season en route to winning the AL Rookie of the Year Award. (Tom Seaver was the NL Rookie of the Year.)

A true doubleheader, yes!

Each team should have two scheduled home doubleheaders like this IMO. It'll never happen of course because of money.

My Dad loved them for obvious reasons; yes we had a limit on the number of how many 🌭 we could have and we smuggled in copious amounts of 🥜 and 🍫

Last edited:

21-year-old second baseman Rod Carew connected for two hits in his major league debut on this date in 1967.

He had 150 hits that season en route to winning the AL Rookie of the Year Award. (Tom Seaver was the NL Rookie of the Year.)

Was this Seaver guy any good?

My Dad loved them for obvious reasons; yes we had a limit non the number of how many 🌭 we could have and smuggled in copious amounts of 🥜 and 🍫
My Dad did too and we went to a handful of double headers at the old Met. Remember one double header in ‘72 I believe when the Oakland A’s were in town. There was an obnoxious A’s fan sitting in front of us and asked me, I was 11 at the time, if I’d like to bet on the games. Asked my Dad if I could and he said yes but no more than a dollar for each game. The Twins swept them and I had 2 bucks to spend on baseball cards 👍

My Dad did too and we went to a handful of double headers at the old Met. Remember one double header in ‘72 I believe when the Oakland A’s were in town. There was an obnoxious A’s fan sitting in front of us and asked me, I was 11 at the time, if I’d like to bet on the games. Asked my Dad if I could and he said yes but no more than a dollar for each game. The Twins swept them and I had 2 bucks to spend on baseball cards 👍

Great memory and cool of your dad

My Dad loved them for obvious reasons; yes we had a limit non the number of how many 🌭 we could have and smuggled in copious amounts of 🥜 and 🍫
May 26, 2001, the Twins and A's played a doubleheader at the metrodome. It was do to conflicts with scheduling I believe. Was there for both games, they both went extra innings with each team winning a game in 10. First game started at 2:00, second game ended at 10:30. I ate a lot of hot dogs that day.

May 26, 2001, the Twins and A's played a doubleheader at the metrodome. It was do to conflicts with scheduling I believe. Was there for both games, they both went extra innings with each team winning a game in 10. First game started at 2:00, second game ended at 10:30. I ate a lot of hot dogs that day.

Thst was a day incredibly well spent.

We did a Twins/Orioles double header in Baltimore once in "all you can eat" seats. It was great and the Twins won both games, but a painful 3 hour drive home.

About last week's rainout.

I don't know about union rules; but when the forecast was great of Friday, but rainy on Sunday, why not play Thursday, Friday, and Saturday?

I don't know about union rules; but when the forecast was great of Friday, but rainy on Sunday, why not play Thursday, Friday, and Saturday?
Up to now, preemptive rescheduling hasn't really been a thing. I do wonder if it will become more common since there are so many inter-league series where the team isn't coming back a 2nd time.

I imagine it's largely about fans/tickets. If you bought tickets for Sunday, then they move the game to Friday. That's a good way to piss people off.

on double-headers.

up through the 70's and 80's, you could play a true DH in less than 6 hours, including the break between games. then games started getting longer, and by the 2000's, it was more like 8 hours for a DH.

not to mention that a true DH means 2 games for 1 admission price. owners don't like that.

but speaking of double-headers, there was a DH with the Twins and Oakland at the old Met. between games, my brother and my college roommate went out to buy beer for after the games. long story short, they stole a keg of beer out of the back of a guy's van, and we wound up taking the keg back to our on-campus apartment. as I so often say, it was the 70's. you had to be there to understand.

Spencer Steer 2nd in WAR among NL hitters. Also 2nd in NL ops.
Jorge Polanco on the other hand struggling.

Spencer Steer 2nd in WAR among NL hitters. Also 2nd in NL ops.
Jorge Polanco on the other hand struggling.
Maeda has given up 9 runs in 9 innings so far for Detroit.
Sonny Gray looked good in his first start for the Cardinals, going 5 innings and not allowing a run.
Joey Gallo with his typical numbers: .179 with 3 HR and 7 walks for Washington.
Pagan has given up 3 runs in 4.2 IP so far for Cinci.
Nick Gordon is .217 with 2 HR for Miami. Getting a lot of playing time so far.
Michael A Taylor .375 with no HR for Pitt.
Donovan Solano is still a free agent for some reason.

Maeda has given up 9 runs in 9 innings so far for Detroit.
Sonny Gray looked good in his first start for the Cardinals, going 5 innings and not allowing a run.
Joey Gallo with his typical numbers: .179 with 3 HR and 7 walks for Washington.
Pagan has given up 3 runs in 4.2 IP so far for Cinci.
Nick Gordon is .217 with 2 HR for Miami. Getting a lot of playing time so far.
Michael A Taylor .375 with no HR for Pitt.
Donovan Solano is still a free agent for some reason.
Taylor is the only one of those that really upsets me. He was good last year and is better than Margot. No reason they shouldn't have brought him back and added another cheaper starter.

I actually like the Santana signing but woof he looks cooked at the plate. Might want to grab Solano while you still can.

Taylor is the only one of those that really upsets me. He was good last year and is better than Margot. No reason they shouldn't have brought him back and added another cheaper starter.

I actually like the Santana signing but woof he looks cooked at the plate. Might want to grab Solano while you still can.
Santana does historically start off slow. His two worst months over the his career are April and May.

Top Bottom