All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

How quickly we forget how good he was the 2nd half of last year.
On the other hand, it is easy to remember how atrocious he was the first 2 months of the season.

I am really tired of the Kepler bit. Guy has always been hurt unless there is someone ready to take his job and magically he’s all better. Get his ass off this team.
Cash considerations? That had to pain Joe quite a bit.

I am really tired of the Kepler bit. Guy has always been hurt unless there is someone ready to take his job and magically he’s all better. Get his ass off this team.
He is who we thought he was. I'd rather have traded him and kept Polanco, but I'm guessing that wasn't an option.

Julien has struck out 8 times looking already in 8+ games. SWING THE BAT

On the other hand, it is easy to remember how atrocious he was the first 2 months of the season.
For sure. He’s not consistent and shouldn’t be at the top of the lineup right now. But he’s still probably better than any alternative at this point.

DFL in team batting average.
DFL in team slugging.
DFL in team OPS.
Tied, 2nd to last in OBP.

Cause he had pressure to perform from the players they were brining up. Plus there was a real chance he was gonna get traded.

What players were we trying to bring up to replace him in the OF last year? Any of the young guys, Wallner, Krilloff, Larnach, are much worse defensively, and haven't proven they can hit consistently at this level.

It's the main reason they can't afford to move on from Kepler until some of the other young guys are ready in a year or two.

Big thanks to mlB for scheduling this dodgers series during April. If it was in June the twins would have had a lot more people in the stands to witness this mismatch.

Oh the twins schedule sucks.

What if Varland is not a good starter? What the hell do the twins do. Try to have him piggy back with someone?

Reigning AL and NL MVPs Rod Carew and George Foster appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated on this date in 1978.IMG_5537.jpeg

Win Twins!!
They're bad right now because guys like Julien, Buxton, Jeffers and Wallner have not been very good (some downright atrocious). And Lewis being hurt. These are all guys that were expected to be key contributors regardless of the offseason moves.

I get the frustration with the offseason and I agree with it. But if they had signed Montgomery, that doesn't change how bad the hitting has been. The hitting is the reason we're losing right now much more than the pitching. They've scored a grand total of 10 runs in their 6 losses.

"Build us a stadium and we will reward you with aggressive free agent spending to build the team you deserve."
That box is checked with the Carlos Correa signing.

If this looks familiar..........(Gleeman in The Athletic)

Back in 2022, the Twins hit .186 with a .613 OPS through the first nine games, scoring an average of 3.2 runs and producing two runs or fewer five times.

Through the first nine games this season, the Twins hit .181 with a .593 OPS, scoring an average of 2.9 runs and producing two runs or fewer five times.

In the 64-year history of the Twins, here are the lowest team hit totals through the first nine games of a season:
• 52 hits in 2022
• 53 hits in 2024

Here’s the lowest Twins batting average through the first nine games:
• .181 in 2024
• .186 in 2022

BUT ---

After hitting .186 in the first nine games of 2022, the Twins recovered to rank among the American League’s top five in batting average, OPS and runs scored for the remainder of the season. They were really bad for about two weeks, and then a top-five lineup for 5 1/2 months.

Last season’s early struggles lasted for the entire first half, as the Twins entered the All-Star break ranked 11th in runs scored among AL teams. And then they had one of the league’s best offenses after the break, trailing only the Houston Astros in second-half OPS and runs scored.

They're bad right now because guys like Julien, Buxton, Jeffers and Wallner have not been very good (some downright atrocious). And Lewis being hurt. These are all guys that were expected to be key contributors regardless of the offseason moves.

I get the frustration with the offseason and I agree with it. But if they had signed Montgomery, that doesn't change how bad the hitting has been. The hitting is the reason we're losing right now much more than the pitching. They've scored a grand total of 10 runs in their 6 losses.

THIS.

I would really like one of the Twins Daily crusaders/complainers to explain this to me:

Let's say the Twins had signed Sonny Gray or Montgomery to a $25-million contract. the payroll would be roughly the same as last year.

Does that mean that the Twins would not have had injuries to Lewis, Kepler, Duran, Thielbar, etc?

Does that mean that Julien would not be taking close pitches with 2 strikes and getting rung up?

Does that mean that Wallner would not have an on-base percentage lower than my cholesterol levels?

the payroll beef basically comes down to signing one more quality pitcher. (or two mid-level pitchers). That does nothing to address injuries and poor hitting.

the crusaders/complainers are conflating two separate issues so they can attack Twins' ownership and management. Because they are looking for a reason/excuse to attack Twins' ownership and management.

The Twins got a hit with RISP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

It would be nice to have runners on when we're hitting these home runs.

Top Bottom