All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Cool story about former Twins 1st round pick Tyler Jay. I did not know he was dealing with a medical condition. The Mets called him up and he made his debut today.

In 2019, Jay began struggling with a medical condition that prevented him from swallowing properly. He lost weight. It would be some time before doctors would diagnose him with eosinophilic esophagitis (EOE), an allergic condition that inflames the esophagus and complicates the digestive process.

every team in baseball has made "bad" trades. but when they made them, they didn't think they were making bad trades. they didn't know they were making bad trades.

when the Cubs traded some young OF named Lou Brock to the Cardinals for SP Ernie Broglio in 1964, they thought they were making a good deal. Broglio had led the National League in wins with 21 in 1960, and won 18 in '63. after going to the Cubs, he went 3-12 and was done as a major league player in '66. Lou Brock only went on to the Hall of Fame.

(at one point, an ESPN poll ranked this the worst trade in major league history....)

any decision that doesn't work out is easy to criticize after the fact.

every team in baseball has made "bad" trades. but when they made them, they didn't think they were making bad trades. they didn't know they were making bad trades.

when the Cubs traded some young OF named Lou Brock to the Cardinals for SP Ernie Broglio in 1964, they thought they were making a good deal. Broglio had led the National League in wins with 21 in 1960, and won 18 in '63. after going to the Cubs, he went 3-12 and was done as a major league player in '66. Lou Brock only went on to the Hall of Fame.

(at one point, an ESPN poll ranked this the worst trade in major league history....)

any decision that doesn't work out is easy to criticize after the fact.
Of course. The problem is that the Twins gave up an awful lot for Mahle (who I was admittedly quite high on). It'd be one thing if Mahle didn't have an injury history and got hurt after the deal. But they gave up a lot (presumably) knowing he was damaged goods.

Now that Jackson Holliday has arrived (well, sort of; several early struggles), MLB.com has a list of candidates to be the next #1 prospect in baseball:

MIDSEASON CANDIDATES:

Walker Jenkins, OF, (Twins No. 1, MLB No. 10)
Another member of last Draft’s Big Five, Jenkins went fifth overall to the Twins and immediately showed why many scouts thought he could have gone No. 1 any other year, slashing .362/.417/.571 with 12 extra-base hits and six steals in 26 games between Rookie ball and Single-A. Nicknamed Captain America by Michael Cuddyer, Jenkins is built like a superhero at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, and he has ample power and speed and an impressive bat-to-ball ability already at just 19. He’s currently on the injured list with a left hamstring strain, but if his IL stay isn’t a lengthy one, Jenkins has the potential to push right back into the No. 1 overall talks, this time for all of baseball.

Larnach is on a rehab stint in the minors. If he does anything, might give an option in case Wallner does not get out of his funk.

---saw a tweet claiming that Simeon Woods Richardson will be the extra man for the DH with Detroit on Saturday. guy making tweet said he was on a plane to Detroit and SWR was on the same plane. had picture of SWR in airport carrying a "Twins" duffle bag.

Larnach is on a rehab stint in the minors. If he does anything, might give an option in case Wallner does not get out of his funk.

---saw a tweet claiming that Simeon Woods Richardson will be the extra man for the DH with Detroit on Saturday. guy making tweet said he was on a plane to Detroit and SWR was on the same plane. had picture of SWR in airport carrying a "Twins" duffle bag.
With Headrick on the shelf, it pretty much has to be SWR without a roster move to get another SP on the 40 man. Either that, or straight bullpen game.

Joe Mauer collected his 2,000th hit on this date in 2018—a two-RBI grounder right up the middle in the seventh inning of a 4-0 victory over the White Sox at Target Field.

He also lined an RBI-single to right in the third inning.

Of course. The problem is that the Twins gave up an awful lot for Mahle (who I was admittedly quite high on). It'd be one thing if Mahle didn't have an injury history and got hurt after the deal. But they gave up a lot (presumably) knowing he was damaged goods.
At the time of the trade I don't think most thought it was a lot. Steer and CES were not considered super high end prospects. Maybe a little bit of overpaying but not excessive.

Lineup for Game 1 has no Correa, no Buxton and 6 guys hitting well under .200.

But the way sports go, they'll probably score 10 runs

this may not be the Twins' year, but in my book, the season ends when a team plays its last game.

it's easy to find reasons not to watch a game. I admit I'm not watching every game - I'm checking in to see what's happening and checking out.

for me, I'm always interested in seeing younger players get opportunities. Austin Martin should be playing every day now. they just called up Camargo - get him in the lineup at C or DH. and as soon as Brooks Lee is cleared to play, he should be in the lineup every day.

Woods-Richardson is throwing the 2nd game of the DH today. I'll check in on that to see how he looks.

it's not life and death. I'm not betting with the interpreter's bookie. It's entertainment. a bad baseball game is no worse than a bad movie or bad TV show. and I'm paying $10 a month as part of my cable bill to get BSN, so I might as well watch it - I'm paying for it.

(of course, by that logic, I'm paying something for lots of channels I don't watch - just not as much, because BSN is the most expensive channel on my cable system - more than ESPN.)

Silver Lining Twins Thought 💭 -

Austim Martin looks like he belongs at the plate thus far and no whiffs in his first 17 plate appearances.

Ryan looks righteous today with10 Ks through 4 and the slider he added should take him to the next level. Please score some runs today as the man deserves a W.

Nice to see Jeffers is continuing to build on last year’s breakout season - we need some guts to step up.

Good for him - he seems like a good dude.

Top Bottom