All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Christian Vazquez (122) Mauel Margo (122) and Kyle Farmer (106): 350 plate appearances: 2 HR's

Royce Lewis: 9 PA's, 3 HR.

But don't worry to the 3 vets, Rocco will keep running you out there 3-4 times/week anyway.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Also, if it is broke, don't fix it.

Everytime I use my new $400.00 Callaway Driver, Neighborhood Watch groups are notified for public safety reasons. Results be damned, though. I'm going to get every penny worth out of my investment, no matter how bad the results are, to justify my purchase.

Everytime I use my new $400.00 Callaway Driver, Neighborhood Watch groups are notified for public safety reasons. Results be damned, though. I'm going to get every penny worth out of my investment, no matter how bad the results are, to justify my purchase.
It’s notthe stick which makes the man, but the man who makes the stick😉

Last edited:

Margot and Vazquez are the 1970's Arnold Palmer driver you bought at a garage sale for $6. It's OK leave them in the bag.

I tried to suggest this with an earlier post.

the Yankees are one of the best teams in MLB. they are on pace to have one of the best seasons in MLB history.

in short - the Yankees are better than the Twins. the better team wins most of the time.

People complain about how bad the Twins are and how many of their players suck. and then the same people complain when the Twins don't beat the Yankees. this is like Captain Kirk driving an evil super-computer mad with illogic. does not compute. (see: Return of the Archons among other TOS episodes)

Margot and Vazquez are the 1970's Arnold Palmer driver you bought at a garage sale for $6. It's OK leave them in the bag.
Margot is now hitting .281 with .730 OPS against lefties. Problem is he has as many PA against righties as he does lefties. Only .140 and .368 against RHP. That's what happens when you start pinch hitting in the 5th inning. He will always get at least one more at-bat and it'll be against a RHP.

He also stinks as a pinch hitter. 2 for 30. He's .339 and .823 against left handed starters. Just start him against lefties and only play him then, except in blowouts or for defense in the 9th inning. If you do that, he's just fine.

Vazquez on the other hand....

Vazquez is catching again today. Day game after night game? No. It's his turn. After today he will have caught 35 games. Jeffers will have caught 29. This insistence is really indefensible.

Vazquez is catching again today. Day game after night game? No. It's his turn. After today he will have caught 35 games. Jeffers will have caught 29. This insistence is really indefensible.
Lewis, Buxton and Jeffers to the bench after dropping the first two games of the series. Makes total sense.

the Yankees are one of the best teams in MLB. they are on pace to have one of the best seasons in MLB history.

in short - the Yankees are better than the Twins. the better team wins most of the time.
I think Twins fans would accept beating the Yankees some of the time, instead of O-fer in 2024.

Last season was the first time since 2002 the Twins won the "season series". Astounding.

Last evening when Skenes whiffed Ohtani in the first inning, it was the first time since they’ve been tracking pitch speed that a batter struck out on three pitches over 💯 (those three were consecutive btw).

Last edited:

People complain about how bad the Twins are and how many of their players suck. and then the same people complain when the Twins don't beat the Yankees. this is like Captain Kirk driving an evil super-computer mad with illogic. does not compute. (see: Return of the Archons among other TOS episodes)
I don't think anyone us arguing that the Yanks aren't a better team, but they are not going to win 150 games and will lose quite frequently to inferior teams. The Twins are an above average team. They should be able to win 1 out if 3 games.

I don't think anyone us arguing that the Yanks aren't a better team, but they are not going to win 150 games and will lose quite frequently to inferior teams. The Twins are an above average team. They should be able to win 1 out if 3 games.

3 straight walks is total fear and intimidation.

Question.........am I the only one who kind of revels in the hopelessness of it?

Do we like Lopez’s new sweeper. Have no idea if that’s getting him in trouble, but it’s the only thing he really talked about that changed between last year and this year.

Also travel days should always be a day game to hell with what tv wants.

The Twins are swept away by the New York Yankees. 0-6 this season againist the Yankees.

White Sox on pace for 124 losses. Would break the all time record of 120 set by the 1962 Mets.

Crazy thing is even if they set the all time record for losses this season, they can still draft no higher than 10th in 2025 draft.

Bad time to be a White Sox fan.

I am genuinely curious which will be higher at season's end. Luis Arraez BA or Vasquez OPS.

The Twins are swept away by the New York Yankees. 0-6 this season againist the Yankees.
0-14 against the three best teams in the AL (NYY, Cleveland and Baltimore). Still clinging to that last WC spot. Meanwhile, two sub-.500 teams would make the NL playoffs if the season ended today.

Do we like Lopez’s new sweeper. Have no idea if that’s getting him in trouble, but it’s the only thing he really talked about that changed between last year and this year.

Also travel days should always be a day game to hell with what tv wants.
Against his sweeper last year teams hit .173 with .287 SLG. This year it's at .274 and .548. I know it was a new pitch he developed when he came to MN but don't remember anything changing about it from last year. The velocity and break on it seem very similar from last year.

Edit: the more I look at the numbers, it appears there's just a lot of bad luck right now. The xBA against his sweeper is .194 (actual is .274) and xSLG is .301 (vs .548). xERA is 3.16 compared to an actual ERA of 5.45.

Obviously the walks were not bad luck yesterday but when the ball is put in play there is. I feel a bit better after looking at this.

Last edited:

Elly De La Cruz celebrated his one year anniversary in the Bigs yesterday and is the first player in one calendar year of making their debut since 1900, to have 65+ steals and 50+ Extra Base Hits; no clue who the player was in 1900 - saw this on SportsCenter this morning.

Against his sweeper last year teams hit .173 with .287 SLG. This year it's at .274 and .548. I know it was a new pitch he developed when he came to MN but don't remember anything changing about it from last year. The velocity and break on it seem very similar from last year.

Edit: the more I look at the numbers, it appears there's just a lot of bad luck right now. The xBA against his sweeper is .194 (actual is .274) and xSLG is .301 (vs .548). xERA is 3.16 compared to an actual ERA of 5.45.

Obviously the walks were not bad luck yesterday but when the ball is put in play there is. I feel a bit better after looking at this.
Pitcher’s have slumps too.

It can be just a small technical issue and/or some bad luck and then it snowballs, until it stops because of too much talent. He’ll be fine and the previous outing is who he really is; until he gets more consistency, we’ll have to endure the 🧀 and 🍷, hopefully they’ll be serving a nice Brie.

Last edited:

ironically, there was an article in The Athletic talking about the Twins pitching approach.

Entering Thursday’s games, the Twins were one of just two teams — with the surging Philadelphia Phillies — whose pitchers averaged more than nine strikeouts and fewer than three walks per nine innings. Only Seattle had a better strikeout-to-walk ratio than the Twins’ 3.55 mark.

but.....

As proficient as they’ve been in the most basic element of pitching — throwing strikes — the Twins ranked 19th among the 30 teams in ERA, at 4.20. The long ball is the culprit: Only the wretched Chicago White Sox have allowed more homers per nine innings than the Twins’ 1.3.

the real irony in the story is that it quotes Pablo Lopez about the importance of attacking the strike zone and getting ahead of hitters. and then he goes out and walks the bases loaded against the Yankees - the last team in baseball you want to do that against.

Top Bottom