All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

60 years of the Griffith and Pohlad families is really more than any fan should have to endure.
Three trips to the World Series in that time, with two championships. If that is beyond the point of tolerance, how do you feel about the local NBA, NFL, and NHL franchises?

Say what you will about the Wilf's, but the Vikings are almost always trying to win in the current year. The same with the Wild. The Wolves haven't always but they are now.

How many years in the last 30 can you say the Twins were really all in on contending for a championship? 5? 10 at the most? That is why they deserve more scorn than the other teams, even though they have titles.

Three trips to the World Series in that time, with two championships. If that is beyond the point of tolerance, how do you feel about the local NBA, NFL, and NHL franchises?
Not great...but we were talking about the Twins organization in this conversation, correct?

Taylor is paying 2nd Apron tax. The Wilfs pay huge signing bonuses to skirt the limitations of the Salary Cap. Leopold agreed to eat the balances of the Parise and Suter contracts for the betterment of the organization.

The Pohlads? The two (2) WS wins are accredited to the scouting staff for a generational core of cheap talent and our coaching at all levels for their development. It certainly wasn't because of the team payroll comparatively.

I value your opinion but I stand by my original comment eight (8) days a week.

Say what you will about the Wilf's, but the Vikings are almost always trying to win in the current year. The same with the Wild. The Wolves haven't always but they are now.

How many years in the last 30 can you say the Twins were really all in on contending for a championship? 5? 10 at the most? That is why they deserve more scorn than the other teams, even though they have titles.
To be fair, they really dug in in 2019 when they backed up a historically good offense with a slider-throwing middle-aged man and another guy with a massive arm injury.

Last edited:

To be fair, they really dug in in 2019 when they backed up a historically good offense with a slider-throwing middle-aged man and another guy with a massive arm injury.
I've been out on Falvey since the 2019 trade deadline for that reason. If you aren't going to part with prospects to help that team, you never will. Always worried about a tomorrow that will never come.

This team wasn't a "go all in" team. But a #5 starter and a couple of competent relievers better than Trevor Richards wouldn't have cost that much and they'd have about 5 more wins right now.

I've been out on Falvey since the 2019 trade deadline for that reason. If you aren't going to part with prospects to help that team, you never will. Always worried about a tomorrow that will never come.

This team wasn't a "go all in" team. But a #5 starter and a couple of competent relievers better than Trevor Richards wouldn't have cost that much and they'd have about 5 more wins right now.
And as iof today, we’re in the playoffs 😃

If we make the playoffs what will be your retort?

Apparently Gimenez mocked the Twins dugout after the game winning hit and said “thank you” to Rocco for walking the guy ahead of him (a no brainer with a left handed pitcher in).

This is where we’re at right now, a below average player mocking them. With no response.

Apparently Gimenez mocked the Twins dugout after the game winning hit and said “thank you” to Rocco for walking the guy ahead of him (a no brainer with a left handed pitcher in).

This is where we’re at right now, a below average player mocking them. With no response.
Cory Provis said a bazillion times during the series he’s a platinum award winner at 2nd base.

Thst being said: let the plunking commence in 2025 or in the ALDS 2024, however unlikely that scenario is.

Last edited:

Taylor is paying 2nd Apron tax. The Wilfs pay huge signing bonuses to skirt the limitations of the Salary Cap. Leopold agreed to eat the balances of the Parise and Suter contracts for the betterment of the organization.
Trying to win but having to endure this....

...equals the same thing in my book. All 4 Ownership groups (past & present) have sucked for well over 3 decades.

Try not. Do or do not.

He did the Steph Curry "Night Night" deal. Even if the played tomorrow, there wouldn't be any sort of response. That's not "The Twins Way".

Trying to win but having to endure this....

...equals the same thing in my book. All 4 Ownership groups (past & present) have sucked for well over 3 decades.

Try not. Do or do not.
Agreed. You don’t have parades for teams because they spend money.

For those of you wanting Rocco gone, name one realistic replacement that you think would bring different results. I'm convinced Rocco is hamstrung by a front office that dictates almost everything. Anyone they hire will be doing the exact same analytic moves that he does because their spreadsheet says to do so. The madness needs to stop, but it isn't going to until someone higher up the food chains is let go. A new manager is solving none of the Twins problems.

For those of you wanting Rocco gone, name one realistic replacement that you think would bring different results. I'm convinced Rocco is hamstrung by a front office that dictates almost everything. Anyone they hire will be doing the exact same analytic moves that he does because their spreadsheet says to do so. The madness needs to stop, but it isn't going to until someone higher up the food chains is let go. A new manager is solving none of the Twins problems.

This is said a lot, and I'm not saying it's not accurate, but how do people know that Rocco is managing based on some Falvey spreadsheet?

This is said a lot, and I'm not saying it's not accurate, but how do people know that Rocco is managing based on some Falvey spreadsheet?
My response is completely opinion. I believe this to be true because I watch the games. I don't think anyone who knows baseball, really knows baseball, would continually make the decisions that are made in the Twins organization. Continuing to pinch hit Margo, various bullpen moves, nauseating lefty/righty hitting/pitching changes, etc. are my first thoughts. Rocco was an unestablished manager that can be controlled for that and possible other reasons. Again, this is my opinion. And no, there is no "spreadsheet", but we all know what is meant by that. The Twins aren't getting a manager that will be an old school baseball guy, managing with the flow of the game, making moves based on feel and such. Isn't happening until larger changes are made. Lastly, I feel that the front office has brought in the horses, for the most part, but the strategy is lacking.

Last edited:

If you're determined to blame someone - because that makes you feel better - then you can blame literally everyone in the organization.

*ownership cut payroll
*front office made bad personnel decisions
*manager has made mistakes
*players have failed to do their job

but in the end, I like a simpler answer: you are what your record says you are. the Twins are going to wind up a few games above .500 - and that is what they are - a slightly better than average team.

they played above their level for 60% of the season, and probably played below their level for 40% of the season, with the end result being slightly over .500.

if anyone says they "should" have been better - then I ask, based on what? 2 and then 3 rookies in the starting rotation. position players injured and/or slumping. serious regression among the bullpen, poor fielding, poor base-running? where is this mythical team that "should" have won the division?

yes, the Twins "could' have had a better record - but they don't. 33 blown leads this season. 7 walk-off losses. surprisingly, 22-20 in 1-run games (thought it would be worse). the team had chances to win games, and didn't take advantage of those chances. you can't blame that on a spreadsheet. pitchers not making pitches. hitters not hitting pitches. fielders not making fielding plays. you are what your record says you are.

This is true. But if the Pohlads won't fire them all at once, letting Rocco go is step one to getting rid of Falvey and his spreadsheet brigade.

My response is completely opinion. I believe this to be true because I watch the games. I don't think anyone who knows baseball, really knows baseball, would continually make the decisions that are made in the Twins organization. Continuing to pinch hit Margo, various bullpen moves, nauseating lefty/righty hitting/pitching changes, etc. are my first thoughts. Rocco was an unestablished manager that can be controlled for that and possible other reasons. Again, this is my opinion. And no, there is no "spreadsheet", but we all know what is meant by that. The Twins aren't getting a manager that will be an old school baseball guy, managing with the flow of the game, making moves based on feel and such. Isn't happening until larger changes are made. Lastly, I feel that the front office has brought in the horses, for the most part, but the strategy is lacking.
It's a shame they wouldn't give Molitor a longer leash. He might have been the right combo. Old school but willing to listen to their analytics to a point. Gardy or TK would have ripped up their spreadsheet the moment they left his office.

The boss move would be getting Terry Francona to come out of retirement...

This is true. But if the Pohlads won't fire them all at once, letting Rocco go is step one to getting rid of Falvey and his spreadsheet brigade.
Has anyone ever seen said mythic spreadsheets?

Or are they an urban myth like alligators in NYC sewers because they were flushed down toilets

Top Bottom