All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Oh, the guy who had an ERA of 20 in the 7 games before the Twins traded for him didn't work out?
Who could have seen that one coming?

It’s going to get ugly if Lewis keeps struggling with Buxton and Correa out.

Wonder what is our record against over .500 teams. Gotta be bad.

4 great at-bats in a row and then 3 terrible ones. Would have been nice to at least tie it up.

That’s not an easy catch but Martin has to catch that. Looked like he misjudged it. Then Julien with a terrible throw home.

That’s not an easy catch but Martin has to catch that. Looked like he misjudged it. Then Julien with a terrible throw home.
Julien was back on his heels when he fielded it.so his momentum’s not going forward and his throw ends up being high; horrible fundamentals.

Additionally, he needs to be moving in on a weakly hit ball and then he avoids that whole issue as he’s in the correct position when he fields it. Then he’s playing the ball, instead of the ball playing him.

Last edited:

Both plays while difficult, were certainly doable.

Too many Twins failed RISP opportunities early came back to haunt them.

Both plays while difficult, were certainly doable.

Too many Twins failed RISP opportunities early came back to haunt them.
4-15.

That’s not good enough against playoff caliber teams, like Atlanta.

here's the wacky part - Twins are 3-7 in their last 10 games.

and yet, they are still only 2.5 games out of 1st place in the Central division. and they still lead Boston by 4 games in the Wild Card standings.

so for all the problems, the Twins still have a shot at the playoffs.

I'm not ignoring the problems - but I'm not writing off the season with over a month left. Twins have 3 games left with KC, 4 with Cleveland and 3 with Boston, so they can decide their own fate.

it may not be the 1967 pennant race, but it's something.

(1967 - damn. the ending to that season just sucked. Twins went 2-5 in their last 7 games, including losing 2 in a row to Boston to close the regular season. Twins were in 1st place or tied for the lead every day from Aug 13 to the last day of the season. - see Wikipedia entry below)
  • One of the closest American League pennant races ever enters the season's final day with the Red Sox and Twins tied for first place and the Tigers one-half game back. The Red Sox and Twins play a game against each other, with the winner clinching a tie for the pennant and the loser being eliminated. In that game, eventual American League MVP Carl Yastrzemski goes 4 for 4 as the Red Sox beat the Twins 5–3. The Tigers can tie the Red Sox if they sweep a doubleheader from the California Angels in Detroit. The Tigers win the first game 6–4, but their bullpen fails in the finale and the Angels win 8–5 to give the Red Sox the pennant with no playoff.

and yet, they are still only 2.5 games out of 1st place in the Central division. and they still lead Boston by 4 games in the Wild Card standings.

I'm not ignoring the problems - but I'm not writing off the season with over a month left. Twins have 3 games left with KC, 4 with Cleveland and 3 with Boston, so they can decide their own fate.

(1967 - damn. the ending to that season just sucked. Twins went 2-5 in their last 7 games, including losing 2 in a row to Boston to close the regular season. Twins were in 1st place or tied for the lead every day from Aug 13 to the last day of the season. - see Wikipedia entry below)
  • One of the closest American League pennant races ever enters the season's final day with the Red Sox and Twins tied for first place and the Tigers one-half game back. The Red Sox and Twins play a game against each other, with the winner clinching a tie for the pennant and the loser being eliminated. In that game, eventual American League MVP Carl Yastrzemski goes 4 for 4 as the Red Sox beat the Twins 5–3. The Tigers can tie the Red Sox if they sweep a doubleheader from the California Angels in Detroit. The Tigers win the first game 6–4, but their bullpen fails in the finale and the Angels win 8–5 to give the Red Sox the pennant with no playoff.
If only Kaat didn’t get hurt that last weekend @ Fenway….

I remember that weekend well.

Cleveland salvaged the last game of the KC series today to reclaim sole possession of first place, at least for one day. Cleveland has clinched the tiebreaker against us, KC has the tiebreaker against Cleveland, and we have the tiebreaker against KC.

Cleveland salvaged the last game of the KC series today to reclaim sole possession of first place, at least for one day. Cleveland has clinched the tiebreaker against us, KC has the tiebreaker against Cleveland, and we have the tiebreaker against KC.
I assume in a 3-way tie they would go to best combined record?

I think it's brutal they don't settle it with a Game 163 anymore, especially if it is the difference between making the Post-Season or not at all.

Jeffers swinging at a ball that nearly caught him in the nuts is a perfect representation of where this team is right now.

How many bleeping times can the Twins have the bases loaded with no outs or just one out and not score? It's almost a given.

Top Bottom