All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Where is the line? Any game that starts now must finish? I recall the Twins getting screwed out of like an 8 run lead against the Astros a few years ago.
Correct, though if it gets through 5 innings in the regular season it's Official, unless the visiting team took the lead in the last inning before the weather suspension.

I'm not sure what the line is, but they will get this game in. It's just not going to start again until about 9.
Once they start, that's the game. If they get through 5 (or top of 5 with home team ahead), game is over if it's called. Otherwise, it's suspended and they pick it up from where it left off.

As someone that has been a part of making decisions to start a game or not, I can tell you it isn’t easy. Been a part of multiple delays where the storms end up missing or dissipating and it never rains. Then everyone is really pissed.

MAT's 96 strikeouts would rank 2nd only to Castro on the Twins. Taylor has played in 29 fewer games though.
2024 Wins Above Replacement: Taylor 1.0. Margot: -0.7. At least Taylor can play defense and steal a base.

Jack Kralick pitched the first no-hitter in Twins history at Met Stadium in Bloomington on this date in 1962. It was an old-fashioned pitchers' duel, with the Twins manufacturing the game's only run in the seventh for a 1-0 win over the Kansas City A's. Bernie Allen singled to lead off the inning. Zoilo Versalles then laid down a sacrifice bunt and Kansas City tried and failed to get the lead runner at second, allowing Versalles to reach on the fielder’s choice. Pitcher Jack Kralick then sacrificed the runners up a base. With runners on second and third and one out, Lenny Green hit a sacrifice fly to drive in the Twins’ only run of the game.

Kralick had a perfect game going into the ninth inning when he issued a one-out walk. He needed just 97 pitches to complete the no-hitter. Right fielder Bob Allison robbed Kansas City’s Ed Charles of a home run in the fourth.

IMG_8264.jpeg

You and SON are correct, of course, but I still have a hard time shaking the "just imagine what this team could be if we didn't cut payroll and made some moves at the deadline" feeling.

I give tons of credit to Rocco and the guys that are here, though.

look, everyone has the right to their own opinion. maybe it's my age or number of years watching bad Twins teams, but I just don't do the "what if" thing anymore. I try to accept the reality of the situation, whether I like it or not - because I can't change reality.

I have two choices - follow the Twins or don't follow the Twins. If I choose to follow the Twins, then - in my opinion - I am choosing to accept the bad with the good. the whole "accept what you cannot change" deal.

If you want to go down the What If route - here's one for you - when Calvin Griffith sold the team to Carl Pohlad, there was another offer on the table - from Donald Trump. that actually happened. Trump offered more money, but word is that the other MLB owners were not excited about the possibility of Trump as an owner. If Trump buys the team, do they stay in MN? who knows? (Trump also reportedly made an offer to buy Cleveland during that same time frame).

look, everyone has the right to their own opinion. maybe it's my age or number of years watching bad Twins teams, but I just don't do the "what if" thing anymore. I try to accept the reality of the situation, whether I like it or not - because I can't change reality.

I have two choices - follow the Twins or don't follow the Twins. If I choose to follow the Twins, then - in my opinion - I am choosing to accept the bad with the good. the whole "accept what you cannot change" deal.

If you want to go down the What If route - here's one for you - when Calvin Griffith sold the team to Carl Pohlad, there was another offer on the table - from Donald Trump. that actually happened. Trump offered more money, but word is that the other MLB owners were not excited about the possibility of Trump as an owner. If Trump buys the team, do they stay in MN? who knows? (Trump also reportedly made an offer to buy Cleveland during that same time frame).
At least we would've had an owner that spent money foolishly. Mexico never would've actually written a check for the Twins, though. 😉

I actually remember being intrigued with the Owner of the NJ Generals in the USFL also being interested in the Twins. Having watched him lead an entire league into bankruptcy then subsequently an effort to secure a whopping 3 bucks in litigation from the NFL, I am glad it didn't work out and Calvin went local.

Last edited:

2024 Wins Above Replacement: Taylor 1.0. Margot: -0.7. At least Taylor can play defense and steal a base.
Margot is hitting at a much better clip than Taylor. Taylor's 12 SBs vs Margot's seems pretty nominal.

Austin Martin already has the role that would be assigned to MAT, with not much drop off in the field.

He was DFAd for a good reason.

Margot is hitting at a much better clip than Taylor. Taylor's 12 SBs vs Margot's seems pretty nominal.

Austin Martin already has the role that would be assigned to MAT, with not much drop off in the field.

He was DFAd for a good reason.
Margot's OPS is still bad. He's a singles hitter who plays bad defense and is slow. They should both be bench players who start once a week and come in for defense/pinch running. In that role, Taylor is a better option. Rocco just plays Margot way, way too much.

Margot's OPS is still bad. He's a singles hitter who plays bad defense and is slow. They should both be bench players who start once a week and come in for defense/pinch running. In that role, Taylor is a better option. Rocco just plays Margot way, way too much.

Margo's OPS is still .100 higher than Taylor's this season. Not to mention that Margot has a significantly higher OBP and SLG % than Taylor, and they've both made 2 errors this season in the OF.

Taylor's year last year was an anomaly. He's cooked, and Margot is a better player today than Taylor is. The Twins made the right choice moving on from him.

I don't disagree that Margot is playing too much. Better health throughout the roster I am sure he would be playing much more sparingly against right handed starting pitching.

He hits lefties well enough to merit a roster spot, IMO.

Julien is rewarded for pretty much single-handedly costing the team a win by being inserted into the cleanup spot.

Watch him go 4-5 with 6 RBI.

The Scott Blewitt fan club will be wearing black armbands for the foreseeable future 🥲
Rejoice!!!

He Lives to chuck another day😃

Here’s today’s transactions -

Minnesota Twins designated RHP Trevor Richards for assignment.

Minnesota Twins selected the contract of RHP Caleb Boushley from St. Paul Saints.

Minnesota Twins claimed RHP Michael Tonkin off waivers from New York Yankees.

Minnesota Twins transferred RHP Joe Ryan from the 15-day injured list to the 60-day injured list. Right shoulder strain.

so: Tonkin claimed off waivers

Caleb Boushley - contract selected from St. Paul

Trevor Richards - designated for release or assignment

Joe Ryan - moved to 60-day IL.

Tonkin this season with Yankees - 3-2 record, 3.38 ERA in 39 appearances. 57K & 21 BB in 56 IP. also pitched in 5 games for the Mets. appeared in 142 games for Twins from 2013-2017. played in Japan in 2018, Mexico and Independent baseball in 2021.

Boushley pitched 2 innings for the Twins this season, giving up 2 runs on 3 hits. for St. Paul, 9-5 record, 4.97 ERA on 22 starts.

so: Tonkin claimed off waivers

Caleb Boushley - contract selected from St. Paul

Trevor Richards - designated for release or assignment

Joe Ryan - moved to 60-day IL.

Tonkin this season with Yankees - 3-2 record, 3.38 ERA in 39 appearances. 57K & 21 BB in 56 IP. also pitched in 5 games for the Mets. appeared in 142 games for Twins from 2013-2017. played in Japan in 2018, Mexico and Independent baseball in 2021.

Boushley pitched 2 innings for the Twins this season, giving up 2 runs on 3 hits. for St. Paul, 9-5 record, 4.97 ERA on 22 starts.
Thanks for confirming😃

Rejoice!!!

He Lives to chuck another day😃

Here’s today’s transactions -

Minnesota Twins designated RHP Trevor Richards for assignment.

Minnesota Twins selected the contract of RHP Caleb Boushley from St. Paul Saints.

Minnesota Twins claimed RHP Michael Tonkin off waivers from New York Yankees.

Minnesota Twins transferred RHP Joe Ryan from the 15-day injured list to the 60-day injured list. Right shoulder strain.

Top Bottom