All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

No Kepler in today's lineup, even though he has good career numbers vs. Gausman.

Is he headed to the IL to join the others (who can return any day now, tick tock)?
Yes, he’s been banged up, but he’s also been woeful in the second half.

Per Gleeman’s article from a couple days ago -

Kepler’s plate discipline and power vanished suddenly in late May and are yet to return. He’s hit just .239/.279/.329 in his last 70 games, totaling only four homers and 11 walks across 272 plate appearances. During that three-month span covering roughly half of the season, his .619 OPS is the Twins’ lowest by a wide margin and the sixth-lowest in the American League.

——————

With Larnach’s bat going to another level, it wouldn’t surprise me to see, last night’s lineup for a majority of the games the rest of the way; it also allows both Lewis and Miranda to be playing as well and gives us our best offense, especially now, without Buck, Lee and Correra available.

Last edited:

Jax throws 3 pitchers in the 8th. Why pull him for Duran?
My guess FWIW, is Duran is our closer and this presented a good opportunity for him to get back on the horse, get a save and bolster his confidence; not letting him get the 9th is the converse to the above mentioned supposition.

Scott Baker took a perfect game into the ninth inning at the Metrodome on this date in 2007. He walked Royals catcher John Buck to lead off the inning and lost the no-hitter two batters later on a one-out single by pinch hitter Mike Sweeney. That was all the offense the Royals would muster, though, as Baker completed the one-hit shutout for a 5-0 Twins win.

IMG_8333.jpeg

Nice to see Miranda get a big hit. He and Lewis have been really fighting it. Julien starting to look a little more comfortable.
Wonder if Lewis is injured. He pretty much jogged down to first base on that double play.

Nice to see Miranda get a big hit. He and Lewis have been really fighting it. Julien starting to look a little more comfortable.
Wonder if Lewis is injured. He pretty much jogged down to first base on that double play.
Might just be frustration?
Maybe it’s dawning on him that slumps happen to everyone?

Well, what should I do for the rest of the evening? ESPN+ has a boxing card from Mexico coming up at 7pm.

Had family stuff so just turned the game on…

giphy.gif

Sad effort from a flat, broken team. 3 runs in the last 3 games.

Farmer on the mound. Miranda at short and Ernie Clement batting lefty (he bats right-handed). Something for everyone tonight.

And Provus just said, "Braves add another." Poor guy is scarred from earlier in the week.

Resisting the urge to say this is finally some good news on the injury front....

I hate this. He’s two at bats away from setting the all time record for most pitch hits without a hit. I want record setters.

How and why do you know such trivial trivia? Has the bloom come off your Joe Ryan autographed ⚾️ already?

With a little 🍀 luck, we’ll be Margot less the rest of the season.

Caught part of Tonka’s outing last night I’m hoping he’s DFA’d forthwith and Winder takes his slot and Varland’s as the extra pitcher.

I’m hoping Lee is called up today as well and Buck & Correra need to start his rehab assignment now; take your cortisone shot and power through it - including today there’s only 27 games left - my optimism is fading, darn it.

Last edited:

went looking for a ray of hope -

Connor Prielipp - his last two outings with Cedar Rapids -
6IP - 1H - 0R - 1 BB - 9 K
68 total pitches - 16 swing-and-miss strikes

and one more -
Cory Lewis at AA this year - 12 starts, 2.68 ERA, 71 K & 31 BB in 57 IP. throws a knuckleball.

Hey they scored a run (even though they did absolutely nothing to earn that run).

I will never understand how a team can go through long stretches where they look like the best hitting team and then others where they look like if I was trying to hit MLB pitching. I get players have slumps but how does an entire lineup go into a slump at the same time?

Not a good inning from Jax but the ump screwed him on the lead-off batter.

Top Bottom