All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I don’t think it changed the game, and I don’t follow any accounts that track umpire performance, but the home plate ump was all over the place.

Agreed. It makes no sense to do it when you know the other team will bring in a righty. If Wallner had been one of the first three batters of the inning then I get it as they can’t bring in another pitcher.
Eh, easy to say this in hindsight but given Wallner’s K rate, especially against lefties, I’m fine with the move.

Contact is contact and the pitcher has no control after the ball is put in play. The guy that won the game was 0-3 with 2 K’s and batting under .240 for the season. He gave up a ground ball when a strike out ends the game.

Runs whether they are earned or unearned are still runs and the difference between losing and winning.
No pitcher is going to strike everyone out. He did the next best thing and got balls put in play that had little chances of being a hit. The first single had an xBA well below .200.

Third brutal loss in 7 games. Julien needs to go when Lee is ready and Rocco PH'ing Farmer when it was obvious they would bring a righty is ridiculous. No Jax or Duran available tomorrow.

I would argue Wallner has a much greater chance of getting the ball deep enough for a sac fly and that kinda evens things out at a minimum.
I get your logic, and I guess there’s no way to prove it out either way, I really wouldn’t have had an issue either way.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the righty that was brought in to face Farmer has way worse numbers than the lefty who would have faced Wallner.

In honor of Judge’s 50th round tripper, name the last 6 MLB players to reach thst milestone (this was recorded before he accomplished it this season - it’s listed chronologically). I got three -

Last edited:

Very cool short on how Greg Maddux called his own pitches -

Last edited:

since April 22nd, the Twins have won 65 games. the only team in MLB that has won more games in that time frame - the LA Dodgers.

and yet, if you go by posts on this board, Twins Daily or Twitter, you would think the Twins had one of the worst records in baseball. after all, according to the online posters, the manager is an idiot, most of the players are below average, and every loss means the season is over.

this for a team that has a 91% chance of making the playoffs.

oh, the arguably best three players on the team - Correa, Buxton and Lewis - have played in the same game only 17 times this season.

the Twins are not perfect - far from it - but with all their faults, the Twins are currently tied for the 9th-best record in MLB. things could be worse. you could be a White Sox fan.

since April 22nd, the Twins have won 65 games. the only team in MLB that has won more games in that time frame - the LA Dodgers.

and yet, if you go by posts on this board, Twins Daily or Twitter, you would think the Twins had one of the worst records in baseball. after all, according to the online posters, the manager is an idiot, most of the players are below average, and every loss means the season is over.

this for a team that has a 91% chance of making the playoffs.

oh, the arguably best three players on the team - Correa, Buxton and Lewis - have played in the same game only 17 times this season.

the Twins are not perfect - far from it - but with all their faults, the Twins are currently tied for the 9th-best record in MLB. things could be worse. you could be a White Sox fan.
With posts like this, you could be on the Twins P.R. staff. Too bad the Pohlads are too cheap to hire you.

The Royals took down the Guards 4-3 in G1 of their DH this afternoon.

Good news, the Twins pick up a half game on Cleveland and are now 2.5 out.
Bad news, drop to 3rd place behind KC in the AL Central and now in the 3rd WC slot.

Maybe, but everything he said is dead on accurate. I think a significant portion of fans take some some sort of weird joy in being miserable and complaining.
You and SON are correct, of course, but I still have a hard time shaking the "just imagine what this team could be if we didn't cut payroll and made some moves at the deadline" feeling.

I give tons of credit to Rocco and the guys that are here, though.

No need to watch this one. Seems over in the first inning

Now we pray for a washout.
I don't think that's how it works anymore. They would Suspend the game and pick it up where they left off if it doesn't go 5 innings (or 4.5 with the Home Team ahead).

I don't think that's how it works anymore. They would Suspend the game and pick it up where they left off if it doesn't go 5 innings (or 4.5 with the Home Team ahead).
Correct.
That's how Danny Jansen was able to play for both the Jays and Red Sox in the same game.

Where is the line? Any game that starts now must finish? I recall the Twins getting screwed out of like an 8 run lead against the Astros a few years ago.

I'm a little surprised they started it. Maybe they can get through 2 innings and then we are looking at least at a 1-2 hour delay.
Would have gotten through 3 if Ober wasn’t tossing batting practice.

There will be no one left in the stands after the delay. This is what’s coming.

Where is the line? Any game that starts now must finish? I recall the Twins getting screwed out of like an 8 run lead against the Astros a few years ago.

I'm not sure what the line is, but they will get this game in. It's just not going to start again until about 9.

Top Bottom