All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Fun article on Vasquez’s celebration for his 10 years in the bigs; Cody mentioned this milestone is only achieved by 10% of MLB players.

From the article for those who don’t have a subscription -

Entering Thursday’s 3-2 win over the Texas Rangers at Globe Life Field, Vázquez was hitting .344/.379/.656 with four doubles, five homers, 13 RBIs in 67 plate appearances dating back to July 1.
—————————————————
Bailey Ober yielded two first-inning singles and issued two walks in the frame, too. Suddenly, a run of nine straight quality starts appeared in jeopardy. Despite not having his best stuff, Ober rebounded and earned his 10th quality start in a row, the longest streak by a Twins starter since Johan Santana had 21 straight in 2004.
(Wowza.)

Last edited:

If I were the Twins, I would appeal the ruling on Farmer's LL HR.

He was almost to 3rd when the first relay throw was made. It would have taken 2 perfect throws to get him.

He was almost to 3rd when the first relay throw was made. It would have taken 2 perfect throws to get him.

watching the play, I said "triple & and an error" right away. but considering how official scorers avoid giving out errors any more, I was somewhat surprised that it was scored as an error. these days, you really have to butcher a ball to get charged with an error. it's almost at the level of HS baseball - if the ball is reasonably hard-hit, they score it a hit. my standard (and I believe this is what it says in the rule book) has always been "with reasonable effort." as in, a major league player should be able to make the play with reasonable effort. if the fielder is diving or leaping for a ball, that goes beyond reasonable effort. (another version I've seen is that "an average fielder" should be able to make the play. but who decides what an "average fielder" is? that seems more murky to me)

when I was covering HS baseball in my radio days, I would mark a play down as an error, and about half the time, when I would talk to the coach after the game, he would say "we scored that a hit." in my book, if you get your glove on it, and then boot it, it should be an error. but others don't see it that way.

watching the play, I said "triple & and an error" right away. but considering how official scorers avoid giving out errors any more, I was somewhat surprised that it was scored as an error. these days, you really have to butcher a ball to get charged with an error. it's almost at the level of HS baseball - if the ball is reasonably hard-hit, they score it a hit. my standard (and I believe this is what it says in the rule book) has always been "with reasonable effort." as in, a major league player should be able to make the play with reasonable effort. if the fielder is diving or leaping for a ball, that goes beyond reasonable effort. (another version I've seen is that "an average fielder" should be able to make the play. but who decides what an "average fielder" is? that seems more murky to me)

when I was covering HS baseball in my radio days, I would mark a play down as an error, and about half the time, when I would talk to the coach after the game, he would say "we scored that a hit." in my book, if you get your glove on it, and then boot it, it should be an error. but others don't see it that way.
Yes, yes and yes.

Way too many free hits given away; would be interesting to see how they has effected pitcher’s ERAs.

In my day if it touched your mitt and you didn’t field it cleanly, it was an error.

Minnesota native Wes Westrum was the catcher on the cover of the first issue of Sports Illustrated, published 70 years ago today.

IMG_8125.jpeg

Yeah it was a triple and an error. If the CF picks it up right away there's no way Farmer scores.

Looked like a pretty obvious Error to me, ball went right between the OF's legs once he caught up to it on the ricochet then needed several steps to corral it again. He literally booted it.

Looked like a pretty obvious Error to me, ball went right between the OF's legs once he caught up to it on the ricochet then needed several steps to corral it again. He literally booted it.

If the OF fields cleanly, does Farmer make 3rd base?

That's why I questioned the ruling triple & error. Also the weird bounce off the wall had more to do with the fielding problem, then anything else.

By the end of the season, I’m hoping to see this lineup at least once. PLEASE

2B Castro
SS Correa
3B Lewis
LF Wallner
CF Buxton
RF Kepler
DH Miranda
1B Santana
C Jeffers/Vazquez
Minnesota Sports Gods: "OK. Fine. But only once. Then someone's knee must explode."

That's why I questioned the ruling triple & error. Also the weird bounce off the wall had more to do with the fielding problem, then anything else.
The final bobble was pretty bad and deserved an error. Everything before it could be blamed on the ballpark/weird bounces.

Minnesota Sports Gods: "OK. Fine. But only once. Then someone's knee must explode."
giphy.gif

After the ricochet the OF had to run several feet to catch up to the ball so, yes, I do think he would have reached 3rd safely. Probably standing up.

No doubt it had some spin on it, but once he caught up to it if he fields it cleanly or even just stops it and picks it up, I don't think Farmer scores.

16 pitches
1 pitch
1 pitch

What an odd inning. Was some loud contact so hopefully those become hits later in the game.

Brewers taking it to the Guards 5-0 in the seventh .

Sux they lost Yelich for the season to back surgery - one of my favorites

Last edited:

Top Bottom