All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

things will be interesting next year. assuming good health (?) the Twins will have at least 6 quality starting options with Pablo, Ryan, Ober, SWR, Festa & Matthews. Then you have Paddack, who is under contract through next season (at $7.5-mill) and Varland. then Morris waiting in the wings.

at a time when almost every team in MLB is looking for starting pitching, the Twins could have quite a stockpile of starters. it would certainly put them in a position to make some trades if they wanted to.

things will be interesting next year. assuming good health (?) the Twins will have at least 6 quality starting options with Pablo, Ryan, Ober, SWR, Festa & Matthews. Then you have Paddack, who is under contract through next season (at $7.5-mill) and Varland. then Morris waiting in the wings.

at a time when almost every team in MLB is looking for starting pitching, the Twins could have quite a stockpile of starters. it would certainly put them in a position to make some trades if they wanted to.
Keep them all!

This is a beautiful baseball quote (Rocko on Zeb’s start)-

“That’s the way you picture it in your mind, whether you’re the player, the manager or a fan in the stands,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “He went out there and he did it. He’s accomplishing a lot of important career goals really quickly. That’s exactly what we wanted to see. We talk about pounding the zone, that’s what it looks like.”

Andrew Morris just called up to St Paul. His first start there tonight:
6IP, 2H, 1R. (Only two strikeouts but he has been averaging more than a strikeout per inning up to this point.)

Morris only 22 yrs old. Organizationally, Twins pitching has never produced as much good pitching as we are seeing right now.
Per MLB at the draft this year, third best farm system. It wouldn’t be surprising to see it go higher.

Looks like Falvey & Levine actually know what they are doing and they have built a minor league starter pipeline.

Last edited:

Im holding on to all of them if i can

Per MLB at the draft this year, third best farm system. It wouldn’t be surprising to see it go higher.

Looks like Falvey & Levine actually know what they are doing and they have built a minor league starter pipeline.
I was pretty skeptical there for awhile

Farmer to everyone saying he should be cut:
giphy.gif
Back at ya Mr. farmer. For $6.3 million I bet there are or were better options.
Perhaps he was actually injured, accounting for the subpar 1st half production.

I can't envision Paddack as anything but a bullpen option at this point.

Im holding on to all of them if i can
that's my point. as a practical matter, you can't have 7 or 8 starters. so if you're going to keep them all, then some of them have to convert to the bullpen or get stuck starting at St. Paul. and that's not making the best use of your assets.

one option - and this is just wild speculation - but if the team is still operating under a restricted payroll, one option would be to trade your highest-paid starter - Pablo. he would probably bring the highest return in prospects or an established position player.

Sounds like Varland tomorrow, as he was in the dugout tonight and guessing they will option Winder down and keep flipping them for a while.
Interesting to hold back staff ace Ober for an extra day against a team they are fighting for the Wild Card with. Of course his previous outings against KC this season he's gotten shelled.

Interesting to hold back staff ace Ober for an extra day against a team they are fighting for the Wild Card with. Of course his previous outings against KC this season he's gotten shelled.
Good point. Hayes mentioned that in his Athletic article today and also Ober is pushing his max innings pitched in a season at this point, which was last year, 166 (including Triple A starts) - he’s currently at 128, so building an extra day here and there may end up being the norm, as we need him fresh for October and there’s only 4 off days in the next six weeks (end of the season).

I can see a modified six man rotation of sorts being used and this depth can keep our starters and pen fresh.

Cory did a good job of talking about this last night, regarding Lugo’s surging ERA in his his last five starts and that he’s not even throwing between starts anymore.

Cory also talked about the Guard’s overusing their pen in the Cleveland series; they have IIRC 6 guys with over 50 appearances; next closest is a team with 3. Cory’s a great baseball nerd and adds so much to the booth.

Our pitching depth (led by our Young ⭐️) may have us in the best position pitching wise for the Central and possibly the whole AL for the playoffs. Frickin mind blowing 🤯

I don't know how many of you bet baseball, I don't. I barely watch it anymore, but I stumbled on this Twitter/X follow this morning. I have seen her on the VSiN channel, the sports betting channel.

I don't know what she said but she looked FANTASTIC saying it!

Might have been different if we didn’t already clinch the season series.

Dan Hayes isn’t an unidentified source kiddo; he’s the Twins co-beat writer with Gleeman (whose tweet is where Rocko’s quote appeared regarding Buck’s injury) for The Athletic. Gratis for my favorite basketball poster 🥸

And Rocco’s direct words suggested there’s more to the story other than just a clean MRI.

So is yesterday/today like a pitch-off between Varland and Mathews for the 5th spot?

And Rocco’s direct words suggested there’s more to the story other than just a clean MRI.

This obviously isn’t the tweet from yesterday, 8/13, which I replied to. Did they teach you the difference in dates in South Duh kota?

Additionally your quote was inaccurate, par usual regarding the source, as his Twitter handle, DanHayesMLB, should have been been your first clue.

“You'll take an unidentified 'source' over Rocco's direct comment, no surprise there.”

Obviously the thoughts regarding his hip changed (as he was in the original lineup -late scratch), that doesn’t make you previous ascertaions correct; you’d think that a “professional meteorologist” would be used to whiffing regularly🥸

He's going on the IL. September 1st was too optimistic.
The post below may provide some insight .

Good point. Hayes mentioned that in his Athletic article today and also Ober is pushing his max innings pitched in a season at this point, which was last year, 166 (including Triple A starts) - he’s currently at 128, so building an extra day here and there may end up being the norm, as we need him fresh for October and there’s only 4 off days in the next six weeks (end of the season).

I can see a modified six man rotation of sorts being used and this depth can keep our starters and pen fresh.

Cory did a good job of talking about this last night, regarding Lugo’s surging ERA in his his last five starts and that he’s not even throwing between starts anymore.

Cory also talked about the Guard’s overusing their pen in the Cleveland series; they have IIRC 6 guys with over 50 appearances; next closest is a team with 3. Cory’s a great baseball nerd and adds so much to the booth.

Our pitching depth (led by our Young ⭐️) may have us in the best position pitching wise for the Central and possibly the whole AL for the playoffs. Frickin mind blowing 🤯

This obviously isn’t the tweet from yesterday, 8/13, which I replied to. Did they teach you the difference in dates in South Duh kota?

Additionally your quote was inaccurate, par usual regarding the source, as his Twitter handle, DanHayesMLB, should have been been your first clue.

“You'll take an unidentified 'source' over Rocco's direct comment, no surprise there.”

Obviously the thoughts regarding his hip changed (as he was in the original lineup -late scratch), that doesn’t make you previous ascertaions correct; you’d think that a “professional meteorologist” would be used to whiffing regularly🥸

Thanks again for proving how pointless it is to respond to you. I posted a tweet yesterday from Gleeman, and another one from him this morning, both with quotes from Rocco.

I didn't post the DanHayesMLB, someone else did, and you used that as a response to my post which quoted from Rocco.

Rocco said they were needed to discuss a 'clean' MRI with Buxton. What is there to discuss unless something else is going on, and then today Rocco mentioned Buxton may need the IL.

So much for that 'clean' MRI.

Thanks again for proving how pointless it is to respond to you.
Promise 🤞

I have to admit, there may be a period of grieving and some therapy required, but I shall endeavor to preserve.
I posted a tweet yesterday from Gleeman, and another one from him this morning, both with quotes from Rocco.

I didn't post the DanHayesMLB, someone else did, and you used that as a response to my post which quoted from Rocco.

Rocco said they were needed to discuss a 'clean' MRI with Buxton. What is there to discuss unless something else is going on, and then today Rocco mentioned Buxton may need the IL.

So much for that 'clean' MRI.
Thanks for amusing me today🥸🥳🎊🍻🍾🎉. You always make me chuckle.

BTW, I won’t respond to any more of your posts in this thread, as this thread is generally clean from sophomoric bickering, which only detracts from it.

Furthermore. I shouldn’t have responded to your initial post as it’s appears to me, good natured joking isn’t in your bailiwick - so my bad.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Last edited:

Sorry I got your hopes up. Note, I specifically used "pencil" in my post knowing a lot could happen by first pitch.
No worries, I’ve made my peace with Buck’s injuries.

Our winning % is so much higher when he plays -and he has the 4th highest WAR for CFs this year.

Top Bottom