All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

well, if the Twins are going to operate with a self-imposed salary cap, the young players have to come through. assuming they are not going to add any high-priced players through trades or free agency, it's completely up to the farm system to produce talent.

hey, I'm not whining or yelling "cheap Pohlads!" I'm just trying to embrace reality. it is what it is.

for the foreseeable future, the Twins will win or lose based on the quality of players they develop through the farm system.

so, as a fan of the team, I will root for the young players to come through.

well, if the Twins are going to operate with a self-imposed salary cap, the young players have to come through. assuming they are not going to add any high-priced players through trades or free agency, it's completely up to the farm system to produce talent.

hey, I'm not whining or yelling "cheap Pohlads!" I'm just trying to embrace reality. it is what it is.

for the foreseeable future, the Twins will win or lose based on the quality of players they develop through the farm system.

so, as a fan of the team, I will root for the young players to come through.
Hopefully the TV situation gets figured out and they have more money to spend in the near future.

All but 3-4 franchises need to rely heavily on developing players. Overall they've done a great job in developing hitters. Hopefully this is the beginning of us seeing that on the pitching side too.

Varland was optioned back Saturday to the Saints.

Dobber down, Okert activated today.

Thinking Zebby comes up tomorrow and the Blewit era ends (maybe he gets some action some tonight?), especially after Winder’s excellent 5 innings of shutout relief in his last two appearances - adding a couple pitches makes me think he can stick now.

Anyone see this yesterday? Was overturned to a double which apparently is the correct call but this one is weird to me. Ball never touches the ground but because it hits the fence first before player knocks it over it's a ground rule double.

They would have had to release someone else to make room on the 40 man so I'm guessing that was the reason.
Also, I looked at the active roster and there wasn’t anyone for him to replace, as it doesn’t see logical to send Blewitt down for Bowman, when they’re sending Zebby up tomorrow and using that spot tomorrow.

Last edited:

Was at a charity golf outing in southern Wisconsin and they had a silent auction. One item was a singed Joe Ryan baseball and the other was a singed Christian Darrisaw mini helmet. Couldn’t resist then and figured no one else would want them in Wisconsin.
You got both?

Were there any other bidders?

saw this tweet from Sarah Langs:

Blake Snell has an .097 opp BA over his last 7 starts - that’s 4th-lowest over a 7-start span since the mound moved in 1893 (min 100 batters faced), behind only:

9/29/22-4/21/23 Shohei Ohtani: .087
5/9-6/21/21 Jacob deGrom: .091
7/1-8/1/04 Johan Santana: .093

when you stop and think about it, holding opposing hitters to a batting average of under .100 is pretty nuts. and Ohtani is a freakin' unicorn. you have to wonder what kind of pitching numbers he could put up if he could stay healthy for an entire season.

Zebby has a SO/W ratio of 10.55 over his minors career and 16.29 this year alone. Very good command. I'm excited to see him pitch.

Zebby has a SO/W ratio of 10.55 over his minors career and 16.29 this year alone. Very good command. I'm excited to see him pitch.
IIRC, the last Twin who started the season on A ball and played in the bigs in the same season, was our good friend, Jorge Polanco. Feel free to correct me if I’m incorrect.

That would be a cool list to peruse by team, as it’s such a rare occurrence.

Last edited:

IIRC, the last Twin who started the season on A ball and played in the bigs in the same season, was our good friend, Jorge Polanco. Feel free to correct me if I’m incorrect.

That would be a cool list to Perdue by team, as it’s such a rare occurrence.
I bet it's especially rare for a pitcher to do it.

When I hear or read "Zebby", all I can think about are the old Zebco fishing reels I had as a kid.

I hope Zebby holds up better against MLB hitters than those Zebco reels did against a 5-year old tyrant that was me.

So I found out his full name is Daniel Zebulon Matthews and he's always gone by Zebby.

Story about the Midnight game in Alaska. Dave Winfield attended this year. Definitely a bucket list thing for me.

What's the over/under on how long Buxton will be out? I'll take September 1st for his return.

César Tovar led off the game with a single on this date in 1970. Unfortunately, it was the only hit Senators pitcher Dick Bosman surrendered, as Jim Kaat took a tough-luck 1-0 loss.

Tovar had his team's only hit five times in his career—tied for the MLB record.

IMG_8075.jpeg

Top Bottom