All Things 2024 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Kent Hrbek went through the minors in a hurry. Hrbek started out at Elizabethton in rookie ball for a few games in '79. played low-A ball at Wisconsin Rapids in '80, high-A at Visalia in '81 in the California League, and then to the Twins for 24 games late in the '81 season.. so basically two years in the minors.

Matthews signed late in 2022 and made 2 appearances that season. in '23, he made 22 appearances with 20 starts at low-A and high-A. in '24 so far, 4 starts at High-A, 9 starts (10 appearances) at AA and 4 starts at AAA. so if my math is right, his minor-league career has 42 appearances with 37 starts for a total of 205 IP.

by comparison, Festa has 64 appearances with 55 starts in the minors for 265 IP. SWR had 98 appearances with 92 starts for 411 IP.

of course, Eddie Bane went directly from college to the Twins in 1973, and spent the rest of the '73 season with the major-league club. but Bane wound up spending parts of 6 seasons in the minors and his entire major-league career was over after 44 appearances and 25 starts.

Kent Hrbek went through the minors in a hurry. Hrbek started out at Elizabethton in rookie ball for a few games in '79. played low-A ball at Wisconsin Rapids in '80, high-A at Visalia in '81 in the California League, and then to the Twins for 24 games late in the '81 season.. so basically two years in the minors.

Matthews signed late in 2022 and made 2 appearances that season. in '23, he made 22 appearances with 20 starts at low-A and high-A. in '24 so far, 4 starts at High-A, 9 starts (10 appearances) at AA and 4 starts at AAA. so if my math is right, his minor-league career has 42 appearances with 37 starts for a total of 205 IP.

by comparison, Festa has 64 appearances with 55 starts in the minors for 265 IP. SWR had 98 appearances with 92 starts for 411 IP.

of course, Eddie Bane went directly from college to the Twins in 1973, and spent the rest of the '73 season with the major-league club. but Bane wound up spending parts of 6 seasons in the minors and his entire major-league career was over after 44 appearances and 25 starts.
I was at the Eddie Bane debut game, sellout at the Met on July 4th.

You'll take an unidentified 'source' over Rocco's direct comment, no surprise there.
Dan Hayes isn’t an unidentified source kiddo; he’s the Twins co-beat writer with Gleeman (whose tweet is where Rocko’s quote appeared regarding Buck’s injury) for The Athletic. Gratis for my favorite basketball poster 🥸

Last edited:

Vasquez stays smokin hot.

Great to see him rebound from last season and be a decent offensive contributor, as well as being a heck of a signal caller/defensive catcher.

We’ve now clinched tie-breaker advantages against KC, Seattle and Houston, which bodes well for our chances for a wild card spot. We’re 2-1 against Boston, with three games at Fenway late in the season.

Kyle Farmer sighting!
Farmer to everyone saying he should be cut:
giphy.gif

Farmer to everyone saying he should be cut:
giphy.gif
Glad to see him contributing - good when everyone gets to play and contribute.
Another thing Rocko manages very well.

I always remember the old saw about the Red Sox from the late 70s, 25 players, 25 cabs. They literally despised each other and won nothing. Twins players root for each other/play for each other and that matters in a season thst long and in a game where the mental aspect is so important.

Sounds like Varland tomorrow, as he was in the dugout tonight and guessing they will option Winder down and keep flipping them for a while.

We’ve now clinched tie-breaker advantages against KC, Seattle and Houston, which bodes well for our chances for a wild card spot. We’re 2-1 against Boston, with three games at Fenway late in the season.
I’m thinking Boston may fade at some point, I’m surprised with how young they are, thst it hasn’t happened already.

Andrew Morris just called up to St Paul. His first start there tonight:
6IP, 2H, 1R. (Only two strikeouts but he has been averaging more than a strikeout per inning up to this point.)

Morris only 22 yrs old. Organizationally, Twins pitching has never produced as much good pitching as we are seeing right now.

When I hear or read "Zebby", all I can think about are the old Zebco fishing reels I had as a kid.

I hope Zebby holds up better against MLB hitters than those Zebco reels did against a 5-year old tyrant that was me.
Zebby reminds me of Zebulon Pike, which reminds me of college, freshman year studying for a Conservation test with a buddy and when I tossed out Pike's name, my overwhelmed friend responded, "that's a fish, right?" Said friend went on to have our university's legendary party house off campus for the following few years, and after graduation (closer to the Bluto Blutarsky timeline), this friend got a job working with computers, it all clicked, and he's carved out a really nice life for him and his family.

God bless America.

6 Twins in the Top 100. Walker Jenkins up to #4. He could be #1 by this time next year.

Top Bottom